how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

never better!!!never better!!!very happy with my lesson yesterday...pure dancing and being in the moment. such an achievement for me, to manage and be in the moment. what a relief after such a long time of not being able to focus.I'm just happy at myself and at my choices and at the best teacher in the world...happy happy happy...for as long as this may last, I don't care. I managed to live the experience once again, that's all that counts!

Purr, cornutt, latingal and 1 other person like this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Pro is starting to freak me out about "the plan" that exists for me... today makes three times (two lessons and a random chat on the weekend) that we've spoken about it, and it seems alarmingly detailed... and includes input from his partner, who I take class but no lessons with. Happy and flattered (and scared) that there's a plan, I think.

On the plus side, cool moment in lesson today, during foxtrot. I asked what a figure in a new part of choreo was called, and got told "oh, I don't know. I saw a couple dance it at Blackpool, and I thought it would suit you." We dance it twice, and then he goes "I was right. It's your move." Dudes, I have a move!

On the negative side, my feet hurt. Big time.

debmc likes this.
  3. regis

regis Active Member

well, in my lesson this week ... let me preface be informing you that I am currently preparing for a showcase event this December. My instructor and I have had three practices preparing for it and we will be dancing to a medley of Tom Petty. The first song is a Rumba so my instructer is throwing some moves into the routine which are more advanced than I am (I am beginning Bronze III). So this practice she decided to teach the real step to me, tells me it is a Bronze IV step, and that learning the real step will help it look so much nicer in the routine. I was fascinated. It turns out to be such a nice move and putting more of the real technique into it makes it soooo much nicer. The problem portion for me is the few measures where all I really use to lead is the fingers on the left hand and then having to move that hand in a way so as to get the follow to give the desired results (fine when dancing with ladies who all ready know the figure) but they paired me with a lady who had not yet learned it to see if I could lead her (by this time another male teacher had joined us in the lesson). Of course I failed in getting her to go where I needed her to go, so the male instructor steps in and leads her through it just fine. It was amazing to me watching how he was able to do that with her. He made it seem so smooth and effortless and she followed right along - and, no, they had never danced that moved together. In a way that whole lesson put me in my place because I am constantly getting compliments on my dancing, and in another it opened up a whole new world to me and showed me how I can improve so much more, gave me something to aspire to!

chomsky likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...the more you know, the more you know that you don't know much..when I think back now about when I first wanted to start doing open smooth, I realize now that I was nowhere near where I thought I was

5. chomsky

We all feel the same, don't we? Thanks for putting it into words, the very last bit, it's such a paradox but so true at the same time!

6. fascination

point; relax
    counterpoint; be someone else and I will

debmc likes this.
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My lessons.....I'm becoming more and more aware of my feet! Getting on them, being solid, grounded, just being more aware....

chomsky likes this.
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Learning how to properly use the edges of my feet in smooth... some serious revelations. Left hairpin, to name one, is suddenly much easier. :joyful:

fascination likes this.
  9. chomsky

my words exactly!!!plus getting my standing leg to push!

debmc likes this.
  10. chomsky

my lessons are getting better and better and better. Less theory and more dance; it's so nice when you get a feeling in your body instead of a mere idea in your head of what is should have felt like.

debmc likes this.
  11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Working on "finishing the picture", it's good to be at a stage to be able to do this, but it's not the easiest subject matter for me.

12. shava

shava Member

Really well lately balance, frame and swing/sway are improving alot - feel am about to get to a new level. Of course there's always to much to work on being a perfectionist. This is also what keeps me in love with dancing - the never ending quest.....

13. cornutt

I'm finding out that I do not have as good control over the parts of my feet as I thought I did. I'm having lots of trouble pointing properly in Latin dances, and in smooth, when I take a forward step, I'm letting my toes slap down on the floor. And in both, I have problems rolling from ball to heel or vice versa; it all tends to go "clunk".

14. fascination

not properly pointing? how so?

15. cornutt

Lot of stepping flat on the ball instead of using the edges. Also, I don't always get my heels (or toes, in smooth) released from the floor enough.

16. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

sounds like it may be a weight-transfer timing issue...?

17. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I'm excited to have a lesson in a week after not having a lesson since IDB :D

18. cornutt

Partly that, but partly just lazy feet. :rolleyes:

19. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Had my first Paso lesson today! Feeling very Spanish!

20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Lessons have been going well....concentrating mostly on the performance and presentation aspects in preparation for comps. Getting to enjoy the skills that are already in place! :)

Wannabee likes this.