how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i was tired and sore...he was underwhelmed...sigh....tomorrow is another day...was mediocre at standard lead and follow..I hate that since, admittedly, annoyingly, it is fast becoming a favorite...how did that happen?

latingal likes this.
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Instructor was pleased with my progress in smooth... hope I can keep everything together that we talked about today. Twinkles have been rebuilt with good success, except that I still have things to learn about controlling which direction the darn things actually wind up going. After an hour and a half at the gym, went back to the studio for the Monday spin and balance group class. Ran out of gas about 40 minutes in and pretty much dragged myself through the rest of it.

fascination likes this.
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Comp preparations....noticed at one point pro was going full out to match my dancing in samba - that was very cool! Now if I could just stop my imitation of a bobble head doll in jive....LOL!

chomsky, dancelvr and stash like this.
  4. fascination

comes a point in time when, if you can't do anything to satisfaction for hours and hours and hours, you simply need to go home and re-think it...was one of those days...and I am not encouraged or hopeful

chomsky likes this.
  5. cornutt

Some days are just like that. Don't let it get to you. Tomorrow will be better.

chomsky and dancelvr like this.
  6. fascination

well yea (cuz I don't have a lesson :))....seriously though, thanks

7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I've had days like that...when the lessons just don't...gel. I know you can totally shake it off, and start fresh next time. :)

8. fascination

I think what I need most is to take a few days off of physical movement and get some sleep...that way, even if it doesn't get better, I will at least have the reserves to get through it

9. sarahb

sarahb New Member

Had a really productive lesson yesterday. Worked on some technique and styling on my smooth dances. It felt like i made good progress, so that was really exciting!

10. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

We reviewed my comp video from this past weekend today. It was my first lesson back. Pro had some good things and some bad things to say about my dancing. Smooth is definitely my strongest discipline. We worked a little on cha cha and rumba. Then we started choreographing my quickstep routine. I'm so looking forward to this one!!

11. Luik

Luik New Member

mmm. this is an interesting thread. May help to read it frequently to see that we're not all alone "out there" and that we all have similar problems from time to time.

Right now we're trying to overcome a bad year in international standard. We feel our dancing has not improved a single bit and the results have gone accordingly.

In latin not a very good year: our dancing seems to have improved but we got mixed results.

So this summer we're trying to work in a more sedate way, talking things a lot and rethinking all our learning and practicing process. I hope it helps because it sure is frustrating to dance 5/6 days a week and not achieving what we'd like.

Oh well, let's see how the season goes.

latingal and fascination like this.
  12. fascination

better lessons today...not stellar mind you...but not horrible...amazing what a little food and sleep will do ....

latingal and Sania like this.
  13. cornutt

Did spin and balance class in my socks. I do that sometimes because it helps me feel things that I'm doing with my feet better. Found a couple of places where I'm letting my foot roll onto the outside edge and it shouldn't be.

Luik likes this.
  14. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Thurs lesson with the pro I compete with was great. Fri lesson with studio owner / coach was dynamite. Today's lesson with Standard pro was awesome. This more than makes up for all the times I feel like I will *never* get what they're trying to teach me! :)

Luik and Sania like this.
  15. Luik

Luik New Member

We did a ballroom show on Sunday and we faced it as a practice to see how things are going. The outcome was surprisingly good all things considering. I saw a couple of photos yesterday and - oh my - the big difference a nice and clear posture can make.

Can't wait to see if the videos confirm this first impression. However there's a lot of stuff still to be done and we start competition in mid-September, brrrr. We never seem to find enough hours for both std and latin. I wonder how you guys manage. Do you try to train both styles the same week? Do you split weeks or months? Just curious.

16. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

two weeks ago, perfect, now...no more lessons...no money...what am I going to do? At least if this lasts for twenty years I'll be okay!

17. Luik

Luik New Member

you're not the one with that problem, I'm afraid.

Good idea to try that!

18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson tonight, and lesson tomorrow afternoon...new tango routine and entrance to the foxtrot routine...tango routine seems to have everything but the kitchen sink in it....but wait...looking more closely....there's that kitchen sink...going to take lots of effort to make this work....ah, what else have I got to do on my lessons. ;)

19. Aura

Aura Active Member

I haven't posted on this thread in a while. I have a local competition coming up this Saturday that I'm very excited for, so most of my weekly lessons have been dedicated to that. After that, the focus will be on testing out, I believe.

20. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Good luck Aura!!!

Aura likes this.