how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

My partner and I split our practices. I lose focus after a little while, and switching styles helps me get it back and lets us practice effectively for longer at one time.
  2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My partner and I generally split our practices between standard and latin for much the same reason that mindputtee says. That said, I'll add that we try to vary which style we start with, as whatever style we practice in second always seems to get at least a little bit of a short shrift. Of course, we seem to wind up starting with standard a disproportionate amount of the time. Likely because we're far more comfortable with it. Which means it really gets more attention. You see, I'm sure, the cycle that results.
  3. JudeMorrigan

I had a very nice coaching session last night. I believe the coach had a stronger background in anatomy than most of the instructors I've worked with, and she explained some postural things in ways that I had never heard before. I think they'll be quite helpful.
    Sania, llamasarefuzzy and SwayWithMe like this.
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Yesterday, DP and I started reworking Slow Fox choreography....adding more 'substance'. I'm going to be doing heel turns in my sleep! Haha. Oy.
    chomsky likes this.
  5. Sania

Sania Active Member

I love that type of lesson!
  6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I can't wait for lessons in a couple of weeks. Competitive pressure is something I always try to resist, but having big comps on the horizon means lessons are very focused and have a sense of immediacy and utmost seriousness.

The lessons I love the best are centered on learning, discovery and stretching one's boundaries....I can't wait to have a big long stretch of those!
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

me too...I actually feel like upcoming comps actually hamper my progress
    latingal likes this.
  8. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Great lessons today, for the second time in a row. I am finally starting to come out of a (very long) dance lull, feeling motivated and excited about dancing again. Turns out I have to have a goal, and it has to be challenging. Plus I have been missing rhythm, after switching to smooth...dancing it socially just isn't cutting it. Not because I want to compete in it so much as I just want to be able to consistently dance it at a high level...so, added rhythm back in, still focusing mostly in smooth, and checking the calendar for the next available comp all = yep, you guessed it, nine dance it is. This will be new, and definitely challenging. Still trying to get my smooth halfway to where my rhythm left off, and now after a long many-month break, my rhythm feels better than ever. Wish that worked for smooth! Now the challenge is splitting time between both, and being able to seamlessly switch between styles...but hey, I wanted a challenge!
    fascination and Sania like this.
  9. fascination

last pre comp lessons...rhythm amd latiin went fine...was too tired an sore to do anything but hobble through the smooth and standard...he was tolerant...but well, not amused
  10. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I was a bit rusty at my last lesson after the holidays...who wouldn't be, I tell you, but it's just frustrating!
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Lesson last night with a new (had one lesson before) pro tore apart a lot of the stuff our other pro had been saying. Gah. (But it did make the dancing work a lot better!)
    chomsky and Sania like this.
  12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Had what I considered to be a bad lesson... I was a little (or a bunch, depending on the moment) off, and we were working on the weakest part of my weakest dance at my request. Over, and over, and over. For the whole hour. We fixed TONS (yay!), but it was frustrating, and soooo technical, and my brain was on overload.

Pro thought I had a really good lesson and that we did some great work. (He doesn't usually say this.) Could it be that I'm finally discovering my consistency, and that even when I'm "off", it's good??? :confused:
  13. latingal

lessons before comp were good, made some last minute corrections that made a huge difference. looking forward to the process of making that next leap in level, it's time to look at what needs to be strengthened or added!
  14. latingal

Lessons heading in to my technique break....identified the next couple of subjects and started work on them right away. Savoring the progress of the last year was short and now seems like a distant memory. It's back on the hamster wheel I go..... :confused:
  15. fascination

not me...no hamster wheel ...for an undetermined amount of time...but definitely not before the end of the month....but more power to you lady
    latingal likes this.
  16. JudeMorrigan

I had a very nice lesson yesterday where we spent a good bit of it working on bringing some characterization and emotion to my dances. Being the gigantic nerd that I am, it's very easy for me to focus entirely on the technical aspects of things, so this was probably time well-spent. And as an added bonus, while focusing on that for my tango, my instructor pretty much went all-out for a long wall. I don't think I've ever seen her do that with a student before. While I don't expect it to become a regular occurance with me for some time (at the very least) and that she was just trying to help me get in character, it was a kind of awesome.
  17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I have not had one lesson since July, bone chip off of knee cap - doctor demanded I DO NOTHING for 8 weeks, that also included no threadmill work. sigh. and doing an about face, DH had a meltdown about $$$ on the dancing although he fully supports this passion of mine. Too long to go int...o might do group competitive lessons in October when I get back for awhile and a lesson here and there until the boat rights itself, just too much going on.
  18. latingal

*sigh* I think my instructor has finally given up on me when it comes to the performance aspect of the dancing (at least emotion-wise). But I refuse to give in, I'll just have to go another route.....

Hope you do better at it then I did Jude....
  19. LT

LT Member

Although I have a partner, I sometimes take lessons solo for a more concentrated focus on my dancing. Often in these lessons we work on basic patterns, general concepts, or drills and such, but sometimes we actually dance parts of my routines. And speaking of awesome, those times are very nearly the same kind of exhilaration I get from jumping out of a plane... :D
  20. fascination

I missed this...so sorry to hear on all accounts....holy smoke
  21. fascination

I missed this...so sorry to hear on all accounts....holy smoke