how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I know that one! I think it's one of my tango patterns. ;)
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

last lesson of the year...worked silver rhythm..principally use of center...and international tango connection and movement...pro made me a wonderful basket of homemade goodies...he went to chef school...and candles he poured himself...and a book...dh has eaten half of the bread already and the cheesecake will definately be the next thing to go
  3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I don't think of that as going backwards. Those are things that can always be improved upon and refined. So it's not that you are "not doing them" but that now you are a point where you can do them better. Those particular things are also easy to let slide a little when you are focusing on other complex technical things, so it's always a good idea to revisit them and make sure you're doing them 100%.
  4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

;)

Seems to be all of my patterns lately. Done with the pity party, though (and thanks to the person who actually attended...willingly!) and ready to re-focus and move forward.
  5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

THat's attitude to have. It is frustrating, and can even embrace the frustration for a minute, but then have to use it to improve. Well, that or give up, because you're always going to have days liek this, just how you use them. :)
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that is just so nice. he sounds very talented... lucky chica you are
  7. fascination

yep...I am very, very lucky..shouldn't brag on him but he did 3 different loaves of bread and cheesecake and candles and a jar of demiglace' (sp?)...and a very nice book ...all in a very classy basket b/c he is environmetally hip as well...he is a wonderful, wonderful guy and I have no doubt that he did that for all of his regulars...what I love the most is how his attention to detail and quality is so consistent with how he teaches...near to dying laready that I have to take three weeks off...but I must work on my tan and my diet before maryland...sigh...the cruise does have a good fitness center
  8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that makes me feel downright...lazy...with my chutney/apple butter/pumpkin bread.
  9. fascination

highjack...yep...am cooking alot but I hate to bake...doing very little of it myself...unhighjack...dang...I miss my lessons already...
  10. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Tuesday's lesson: worked on latin, focusing on rumba and jive. I didn't feel well before my lesson and from not working on latin in a while I felt really crappy afterwards. We worked mostly on basic technique.

Yesterday's lesson: I worked on standard. Last Saturday I had a coaching with Peter Eggleton (which was incredible!), so yesterday I focused on applying his coaching in waltz and tango. I need to remember to swing my right hip forward earlier, making sure it arrives before my head when entering a throwaway oversway.

I won't have a lesson next week since my teacher is going out of town, but I'm looking forward to the NDB.
  11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Planning for next year. Identifying major concepts that need to be worked, revamping choreography spots in routines that could be better, and continuing to find ME in the dancing.
  12. fascination

okay...this thread is acting up again
  13. Josh

Josh Active Member

fasc, the whole site has been relatively slow for me, and I never had any problems with the first thread, so I think it's a combination of the site, and perhaps something on your end...
  14. fascination

dunno ee is having issues too...my issue today was...again...that the thread loaded only through the second to last page and would not load the last page...so I posted a new reply and then magically had access to the last page...otherwise, it would not go to the last page...hmmmph...
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've had some issues too... every once in a while, the site just stops responding for a couple of minutes. Last week, before we closed the previous lesson thread, I wrote a rather long post to it that vanished. (When I hit submit, it seemed to work, but the post never appeared in the thread.) The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes the identity of the last poster listed in the index does not match the actual last post visible in the thread.
  16. fascination

thanks...hopefully DM will attend to this as his schedule allows
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm also having similar problems as others described.
  18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Likewise (although it seems somewhat better at the moment)
  19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Silver and gold int'l rumba syllabus
  20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I pulled out a couple of (very) old training tapes by Peter Egglington and Barbara Winslade and PM transferred them onto DVDs for convenience. Their dancing lacks all the open hold stuff and showy head movements extreme poise etc etc that we have learned and routinely see in competitions - but it is so effortless and so floatingly smooth as to take your breath away. We have decided to work off the tapes for a while and see if we can get some of that ease into our own dancing - and then go back to our coaches for critique in case we have added any errors. These tapes are a real eye-opener.