how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I hear you. My teacher's favorite word is "whoa!"
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

i've been getting whoas too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it's so nice when you are taking lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!!and it's so nice when you're happy at yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Lessons the last couple days have been good, cleared up some questions I had from last week and continued to clarify and check on the new areas of work....
    Wannabee and chomsky like this.
  4. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Lessons have been just ok lately. I have a comp coming up end of Oct. It is a smaller, local comp, not NDCA, and so we decided to debut my silver smooth and rhythm. I have worked on silver in my lessons for the past year or so but have never done silver on the comp floor. I'm super excited at the prospect of finally doing some silver "in public", but I will admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed with learning 9 new routines by the end of Oct.

Pro and I have decided that if I really feel under prepared that the first dance to go will be Bolero (in which case I would just dance my bronze routine in silver category). This made me feel a little better.

I actually LOVE the detailed work that has been going into my lessons as I learn these new routines. But we can easily (and do) spend an entire lesson on one dance. I'm thrilled with the progress on that particular dance, but I can't help but feel like I have eight others that need equal attention.

How should one proceed?
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

discuss the concern with your pro
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I have and I do. It was more rhetorical, though I do appreciate the advice. He listens to me and comes up with a plan of attack that on the surface satisfies me. The problem is one of us will get wrapped up in technical aspects of this or that and before we know it, 15 minutes of foxtrot turned into 40.

I'm getting more comfortable with the routines, but I just wish I had another few months lol
  7. raindance

raindance Active Member

One approach for lessons I have seen is to do rounds first, then start working on things. Then at least all the dances for that style got danced once during that lesson, regardless of where the focus goes for the remaining lesson time. And both you and pro would get a chance to see/feel how all the dances are going, which could be a good thing with newer routines.
    Sania, chomsky and debmc like this.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

We usually spend time on each dance at every lesson...and I like that, as I also start to worry about dances that get ignored for awhile.
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Speaking of which...over two weeks and no lessons... I felt so rusty on my first lesson post comp!
  10. fascination

tomorrow will be my third week off....have not put a toe on the floor....and don't intend to until a few days from now....sometimes a break is in order
  11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

My lesson was great today. It's been since July I had a lesson, and this was one was without my partner. Now I've had a couple people comment how they would hurt their partner if they didn't show, but (as frustrated as I am sometimes) I realize my partner is setting up his career and dance for him has to take a back burner. And I must say, I love one on one lessons. I get to focus on my problems, not just "our" problems. Today's lesson was about how to have a better connection through the frame. It was also about flexibility in the frame, and about how to use less energy to keep the frame up. Now I just to need to commit it to muscle memory and teach it to the partner.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Silver Rhythm and finished off with Int. Foxtrot. As I have utterly given up I didn't bother changing shoes. I think we may have figured out the secret to Standard for me-do it in 3" open-toe Latin sandals.
  13. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Great lessons today - best in a while. Very technical in smooth, but made a few breakthroughs. Followed up with a refresher of open rhythm. Interesting dancing open rhythm again, after many months of not touching rhythm at all...now that smooth is the main focus, rhythm is pretty much just for fun (despite the plan to start competing in it again) and miraculously it is...fun!! Haven't felt that in a while. :)
    latingal and debmc like this.
  14. chomsky

I'm getting back in shape; I'm fighting pain; I haven't yet lost but will steadily lose kilos; Dancing is becoming a pleasure and nothing sad is in it little by little...I'm becoming a dancer!!!!!!!!!!!
    latingal and fascination like this.
  15. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Choreography with David Hamilton last night. There. Is. No. One. Better.
  16. fascination

17. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

18. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

I seem to be on a roll lately -- there's always lots to work on, of course, but I'm coming out of almost every lesson feeling like I've made some real progress. Today was another one of these days. Coach has said I'm "not allowed to look like a Smooth dancer doing Rhythm", and I might actually be there at last. Standard felt great, and oh, Smooth was just dreamy. :D
  19. chomsky

everything is going so well...it's been a year since it felt as good. I'm just lucky lately and I can't believe my luck actually...
    latingal likes this.
  20. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Getting an open smooth Viennese routine, with lots of fun/splashy but relatively simple elements. We're pretty much going to lap the floor a bunch of times at this rate...