how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Discussion about the ownership of the title of my dancing. Seems the DMV thinks the pink slip is mine, I however seem to have lost the darn thing. LOL!

Wannabee, debmc and chomsky like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

over here; the patient is on life support ....and it is a chilly day...in spite of that, hope dies hard

3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I do have someone on life support, she is 18 years old and just fell of a bike. Up until yesterday, I kept saying hope dies hard...and then I received good news, fingers crossed she'll come out of it. Sorry, your joke just made me spell it out...
    lessons are good and bad; it's been at least one and a half year since the last time I had such a rewarding lesson! I was ill and was going to have my first showcase; my pro was stressed and I couldn't care less about my performance; so, back then, the day of my showcase I ended up having the best lesson ever. Same thing last night. I didn't put my shoes on, and my tape recorder wouldn't work and I just kept thinking if only I can have one more lesson, even if it's my last one. So, I ended up having one of my best lessons ever; pure fun, no stress at all and in the end the best dancing ever, simply because I couldn't care less about how well I danced anymore...

4. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Any lessons that let me dance silver smooth are usually always fabulous. Rhythm is another story entirely. I've been contemplating whether it may be time for a chance in my competitive focus soon. I am giving strong consideration to dropping rhythm and picking up standard for competition. I like rhythm at parties and stuff, and when I need a break in my lessons from smooth. I've done bronze standard in the past. I just seem much more suited to smooth/standard. I guess I wont know for sure until I drop rhythm from comp line-up and see if I miss it.

latingal likes this.
  5. chomsky

I'm gradually overcoming my emotional barriers as to dancing freely and as to learning at an old age. I'm proud of the way my lessons are going in that direction and I'm proud of my choices in my dancing; my pro, the socials I go to and all my social partners and friends.

cornutt and latingal like this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...I don't even know how to classify my lesson...we did work on a conept in standard that will make me a better dancer but...I am not sure there was much point in working on it together or that either one of us was really in the mood to be there...glad to be taking another two weeks off...hoping something magically changes in two weeks

latingal likes this.
  7. latingal

fasc, hoping the break gives you some peace and clarity. We've both been going at this for a long time now, and both have met many goals and grown much in our dancing through out. There are periods when I too know if I'm to survive to dance another day, I have to back off and just have some fun; I'm in one of those times now.

Hoping for the best for you....

Purr likes this.
  8. latingal

Awesome lessons yesterday.... we took the time to do a rather laid back set of lessons that covered many soft topics, some relevant to the work we've been doing, some informational for future goals. Even with the amount of talking we did, we managed to work on some alternative ways to put some personality in to my dancing, which in turn spurred a nice discussion on how people perceive their dancing in their bodies. I thoroughly enjoyed the exchange of ideas, perspectives from both the teaching and learning side of the process.

I am still mentally recovering from the long haul, full court press of the last year getting ready for the competition season this year. It was nice to have lessons that I didn't feel I needed to hit the ground running, but instead enjoy the learning process and the company of my pro.

3wishes likes this.
  9. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This sounds awesome! What a fun way to spend a couple of hours :)

latingal likes this.
  10. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Started Paso for a showcase....oh man oh man, feet don't fail me now!

debmc and latingal like this.
  11. chomsky

My lesson sucked today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hate it! but it just means that I am in the process of learning and of being alive, so what the heck that's life. the previous one made my teacher think I was wearing magical shoes, this one just sucked sucked sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

12. latingal

Don't worry chomsky, it's part of the process and totally normal...it happens to the best of us.

chomsky likes this.
  13. chomsky

actually I know it does but it does affect us a bit, doesn't it? just like everything else in life that doesn't go as planned! but what the heck that's life! on the contrary I had a lesson with my hubby that was so so so...GREAT GREAT GREAT! WOW!!!!Unbelievable, even my pro was loughing his heart out, what an experience, I'm telling ya latingal...the dance lesson with a friend or even a significant other always has a social aspect to it, it's just pure pleasure, just because there's more than the two of you...lucky me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cornutt and latingal like this.
  14. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Had a great lesson w Standard pro on Monday that led to a whole lot more stretch and shaping. Last night after a group class where we partnered a lot he said "I want to see you dance like that with your other partner!" Point taken...

15. latingal

Interesting lessons continue, I'm loving it!

Besides getting some technical improvements going, we've been having a lot of very interesting and detailed discussions about how the different looks and styles of latin are achieved and what the pros and cons of each are. Then I am being asked to try different looks/styles and make some choices on what I would like my dancing to be (with feedback on how it works with my body type, strengths/weaknesses, and execution).

An eye opening process....it's time to stop being a student and start making some informed choices as a dancer....

Wannabee and debmc like this.
  16. Sania

Sania Active Member

That sounds mega cool. I remember attending a workshop with Corky and Shirley some time ago where they danced the same sequence of steps in three different performance styles. That was interesting but it sounds even better to be having a one on one discussion about applying those concepts to one's own dancing!

latingal likes this.
  17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

A VERY Slow Foxtrot today. DP took a FT song I love, but is not up to tempo, and makes me use it to practice control. It works too.

SwayWithMe likes this.
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Sounds amazing to be at this point!

latingal likes this.
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I had a little surprise during my latin lesson when a bolero song was playing and pro started to lead me through bolero! It's been awhile since I've done rhythm but I was pleasantly surprised, and it begged the question...do I add rhythm back and dance 3 styles? Still thinking about it....

cornutt likes this.
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It happens every now and then. You've just got to keep going.

chomsky likes this.