how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

my lessons...postponed!!!!!!!!!!my pro has had an injury...I'm going to die!!!!!!!!!today!!!no I'll leave it for tomorrow...this should go under the whining thread but I am a bit naughty!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purr likes this.
  2. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I would double-like if we had a button. Sounds like incredible fun!

latingal likes this.
  3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Have started lessons with pro's partner in addition to with pro... as it's time to start working on being a proper girl :) Last lesson with pros partner made me feel a bit put in the middle, with some changes being made and the instruction to not let him change it... then it got worse.

During my lesson with pro this weekend, he asked his partner to help him teach me a new figure. This kicked off a long, protracted, loud 'discussion' between the two of them in the middle of the dance floor about what level figures my new routines should contain, what I should be competing, etc. It was interesting to hear the thought process (and may have been more so, were it in a language I completely understood), but made me (and I'm sure everyone else in the studio) fairly uncomfortable.

I may have declared at the end of my lesson that the two of them needed to sit down together, or the three of do, to get on the same page. If the team is going to expand, then the members of the team need to be working to the same plan. Minor differences in opinion or perspective are fine, but big, foundational, approach arguments are not.

(They hashed it out together later that afternoon, and the rest of my routines will be choreographed by the three of us together at a to-be-set-up sit down session.)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Wow, FF, that was a, erm, interesting weekend.

I need to do some serious woodshedding on mambo this week. I've managed to totally foul up my Cuban motion, and subsequently my timing, in that dance. Not sure how I did that, but it's a big mess.

FancyFeet likes this.
  5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Not super fun today -- 4 hours reviewing the bronze American rumba, cha cha and waltz syllabi.

I asked to do this work, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed it. Struggling with a lot of "why didn't I already know this?" feelings of failure. 3 dances down, lots to go. Ugh.

BUT coach said we're starting on my new comp routines tomorrow! :D

dancelvr likes this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

first lessons in a while...latin and rhythm were...not horrible...smooth and standard; slightly less not horrible...all in all, a marginal improvement in tone ... I will take it

latingal, dancelvr and nikkitta like this.
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Lessons yesterday....great! Further checks and detail on rumba/cha-cha current work, application to routines, and miscellaneous minor questions regarding routines. The dancing is feeling so much better, video tape was surprisingly better, and pro seems pleased with the progress. Very motivating lesson.

Terpsichorean Clod and Sania like this.
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Whoever came up with toe-heel swivels in swing needs to go to the special hell usually reserved for whoever came up with the integrated touchpad mouse and the designers of Windows 8. (At least he ASKED before introducing the wheel, or at least phrased it as "It's a variation on toe-heel swivels, you've done those, right?" To be rewarded with an "I have no idea what you're talking about.")

stash and cornutt like this.
  9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

But they make your skirt go swoosh-swoosh-swoosh.
    What's not to love? :D

10. danceronice

As I wear trousers for lessons as it's easier than changing, nonissue yet. And otherwise, you mean besides that I've never encountered them before and it took about two seconds for me to get it in my head backwards (as in heel-toe)? I keep reminding NP these are not ways to make me like swing more. I'm good at chicken walks. He should accept that as adequate.

11. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Wonderful lesson today, in which we fixed a couple of things, and made some progress in improving my frame and connection. It was a very productive (and sweaty) afternoon! :D

12. SwayWithMe

Apparently my heel turns are "much, much better!" W00t!

dancelvr and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  13. fascination

nice to know when something gets better...apparently nothing is better in my dance life...or, if it is, I will never know...sigh...I enjoy SOME of the dancing and appreciate the information that I think will help me improve...but....well...things need to improve

14. SwayWithMe

More of the continuing saga of bronze syllabus review: have now worked through American Foxtrot, Tango, ECS and part of Bolero. Doesn't feel quite so much like I'm flunking a horrible test, but I'll still be glad when it's over. I'm learning a ton, and coach told me this morning that she's very proud of me for asking to do this.

I've only competed closed bronze so far. We started an open bronze rumba routine last week, and get another open routine tomorrow!

cornutt likes this.
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

After Magnolia I want to work on some open silver rhythm routines. I want to dance them at Nashville Starz.

dancelvr likes this.
  16. fascination

spinning my wheels...wasting both of our time...going to give it another try next week...but very glad I will have the following week after that of while he is at Ohio

17. danceronice

More Silver, including warming up with Int. Waltz turning into Silver Smooth Waltz. Clearly he's trying to make me a Silver nine-dancer. Also brought in the new Frenchy and the Punk CD with "You need to listen to the first track, I'm thinking Paso showcase?"

cornutt likes this.
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lesson today reviewed our coaching in Latin, and I am very happy with the way it all looks! We are also continuing to work a little bit on closed gold. Love doing Latin again after back to back smooth lessons.....smooth still seems so different to me, but I'm working on it!

Terpsichorean Clod and latingal like this.
  19. SwayWithMe

First lesson day in a couple of weeks that hasn't made me cry. Progress of a sort. :confused:

Terpsichorean Clod and debmc like this.
  20. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Best lesson in last month. Got a compliment on my Standard, which if you know my pro, does not happen often. Had heart to heart talk with him about the direction my dancing is heading in next few months and so far, happy with outcome.