how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I understand
    SwayWithMe likes this.
  2. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Dreading the upcoming week of lessons, starting with tonight's. Our studio showcase is Saturday and well, I sometimes just don't feel like doing the same quickstep routine umteen times, back to back, over and over for 2 hours. Im hoping my perserverance will pay off come Saturday. But I may have to insist upon some rumba or waltz for a bit.
    cornutt and latingal like this.
  3. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Lessons last month and a half was all about learning new routines to get through first comp with new pro. With that behind me now lessons are teaching lessons and going awesome!l I have concluded it is good to come out of your comfort zone now and then and change is good.
    Terpsichorean Clod and latingal like this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. My instructor of 13 years and I just did our last comp together as a regular instructor and student. As I write this, she is on her way to a new life 1000 miles away. It's very sad for me, but maybe it's also time to reboot. We never had much in the way of choreo for comps -- we were both firm believers in lead-follow dancing, and we never did more than just general sketches of what steps we would cover and what would work for long and short walls in smooth. However, I realized this weekend that it's killing my placements. Time to change course. That's not to say that I don't value what she's done for me -- I very much do. But I want to take it to the next level, and that means I need to start doing some things different, whether I like it or not.
  5. fascination

yes...on so many levels...sometimes all signs just point to a change...and also, if placement matters, you have to do what you have to do...
  6. cornutt

Well, to me, having fun does matter the most. But I would like to see what I can accomplish, at least for a while. If it strays too far away from what I consider fun, then I'll go back to what I was doing and not worry about placement too much.
  7. fascination

oh I hear ya....I am not one of those folks who has scorn for folks who care about placements....it's a comp, not a showcase...

that being said, anyone who gets too worked up about them either doesn't know much about how it works or is being kind of foolish
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. cornutt

Right. My instructor was concerned that I'd get worked up over placements. But I didn't expect to place well at Magnolia. I know I have work I need to do, but yeah, I also know how these things work, and for all but one of the judges, it was the first time they'd ever seen me. One of my goals for this comp was to observe what the other gentleman ams are doing. I learned some things about dancing, and some things about competitive dancing.
    Purr, fascination and Sania like this.
  9. fascination

well...it was the first time in a long time in which I wasn't thinking I wanted to leave...and I am so deeply grateful
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lessons last week were good...did run-throughs of 4 am. smooth routines...tango went really well...did 2 back-to back run-throughs that pro said were the best I'd ever done...foxtrot seems to be holding steady...not really sure why other than I have a better understanding of my parts of the routines...and making an effort for more engaged hip/leg/ankle usage...can't really explain it other than saying I'm dancing a lot lower these days...looking forward to seeing favorite coach in a couple of weeks
  11. fascination

today was the second installment of "hey, I don't hate this"...there was some learning, there were small moments of pleasure...I will take it...
  12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Yesterday's lessons were awesome! I wanted to discuss and work on the way I was dancing in the partnership. It was time to stop being careful and correct and instead try to dance "to the edge" with my pro as my partner.

It was an interesting couple of lessons, my pro was able to expand my understanding of what I needed to be trying to achieve to "just dance" with him. I was only thinking of body weight and commitment in "dancing to the edge"; it turns out there was more to it then I thought. We ended up talking about and working on how, in being externally aware to the lead, you need to be more internally focused on your own body. The more I focused on maximizing my oppositions and body action, the more aware I was of his body and leads.

There have been so many instances in my learning that what it seems like is the exact opposite of what it is. LOL - I thought I needed to be more active with my energy toward my partner, and it turned out I needed to be more active with my energy within myself.
    Wannabee, Sania, sbrnsmith and 3 others like this.
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Latin lessons are great. We are working on closed silver and closed gold and my pro is happy with the progress. Smooth on the other hand.......
    sbrnsmith and latingal like this.
  14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

Some combo of lessons and practice, but I now have 90% of an open rumba routine with my new Latin partner!
  15. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Kicked my butt today. Sigh.
  16. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Lessons were going so well...and then I got laid off unexpectedly. So no more lessons after what I've already paid for is up! It's depressing, I'm missing the competition coming up soon as well. This is such a bummer.
  17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this! :(
    scullystwin42 likes this.
  18. fascination

19. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

aw, thanks for the sympathy. I realize now that my post was a rather blatant post for sympathy, but it's still nice to have some come in. At least I got to do my quickstep showcase! Hopefully something new will come my way soon.
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

The good thing about lessons today, verified that almost all of the conclusions I drew from a recent coaching are correct. Couldn't quite make all the connections as to what was causing what though. Figured it all out with pro and then decided what to apply to my dancing and what was good information, but was not going to work in accomplishing the dancing I want to show.

Not much dancing going on, but a whole lot of talking and understanding.....