how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Now that the mad few month rush of comp, then another comp at a different level with new routines, then showcase is all over, I am enjoying my lessons again! lol. Pro and I had a discussion about what we (I) want to accomplish these next few months and how best to go about accomplishing said things. Smooth, rhythm, and one latin rumba to work on, just for fun. Overall, lessons are going well right now. Won't be long before it feels like work again, but I'm enjoying the easy-going feel to my lessons right now.
    3wishes, debmc and latingal like this.
  2. LT

LT Member

Been working with a different teacher recently... they basically vetoed half of my waltz routine last night as un-necessary... stating, "are you dancing in a show, or a competition?" Then do you ever have those moments when your teacher mimics you? ...Shows their perception of how you look (but exaggerates it of course)? :oops: Sort of irritatingly effective... ;)
  3. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

lessons... Awesome!!
    stash likes this.
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yep... It is nice to have 'no upcoming comp' lessons. We have touched on a little of everything....last lesson we even did a little rhythm, and bits of open work.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

me: I dreamt of you
    himself: raised eyebrows
    me:yep...I was running away from you screaming "it's never enough, nothing is ever good enough for you, I can never please you"
    him; happiness, twinkle in eye
    me: just thought you should know that at least one woman is in fact dreaming about you
    him: continued satisfaction

him; why do you talk to yourself so much on lessons?
    me; would you rather I spoke to you?

(end of conversation)

that pretty much sums it up :)
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Mine went more like:

Mid lesson, dance new short wall # 2 of waltz, learned just before pro went away for 2 weeks. We were working on adding styling to it for the first time.

Him: pause. "Ok. Do it again, and make it... not terrible this time, ok?"

Me: look at him blankly for a minute, then start to laugh. "Way to motivate there, slave driver."

Him: starts to laugh, then starts backpedalling with "no, I mean it was good, but it can always be better, so let's make it better."

We pull ourselves together, and after a few times with an "ok, but more" response, I fnally get a simple "that was beautiful".

Overall, it was a good lesson, and I'm happy he's back.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  7. fascination

"that was beautiful" is probably in the top ten list of things that will never be said on one of mylessons...but good for you
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that's on your list - I find it supremely motivating... mostly because I chase hearing it or something like it :) Does sound like you had some fun this week, though!

And I don't think I could put together an "unlikely to be said" top ten. Some odd, random stuff gets said in my lessons.
  9. fascination

it was a step in the right direction...
    FancyFeet likes this.
  10. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

After months of pre-comp tech torture, I begged for something fun. Now learning open jive. I think I've died and gone to heaven. This is great, now I can finish ego crushing rumba and samba tech practice (still LOTS to learn) with a few minutes of an endorphin releasing jive chaser. To steal from Bruce Springsteen, baby, I was born to jive.
    ajiboyet and Dancing Irishman like this.
  11. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

You might have become my new favorite person (a fan of jive AND Springsteen?? YES!).

No lessons for me the past week, but I figured out during some solo practice that I need to go through my entire rumba routine and get nitpicky about when I need to keep my weight split and when I need to shift fully over a foot (in addition to drilling all the creative leads my partner and I came up with).
  12. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

My previous instructor and I would sometimes have "special occasion" lessons: birthdays, post-comp, what have you. We would take turns picking fun dances. Night Club Two Step, West Coast Swing, CW Waltz. Foxtrot, etc. would get thrown in, but only to whatever my or his favorite music was at the time. Somehow my new instructor and I haven't developed a tradition like that yet.
  13. fascination

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Oooh, he picked the song I love, but I am partially scared is deserving of more show in showcase than I can give it at this point. Which meant back to paso doble too. Why is a heel turn in foxtrot and court shoes a nightmare while a slip appell (basically the same thing as far as the heel-turn mechanics go) with Latin shoes is fine? I think I will be mentally okay as long as I view Indiana Challenge not as a showdance comp but more like a dry run for Starlight Ball...
  15. fascination

lessons today were productive....that is really all I need
    dancelvr, cornutt and latingal like this.
  16. fascination

tuesdays lessons seemed more like going through the motions...not sure if he was tired or what...but still learned things and enjoyed what I could...just not as productive or fun as monday...which actually seems to be the pattern which has me thinking that 7 is probably better than 8 lessons
  17. LT

LT Member

Have you ever thought there must be something in your technique that, if changed, the improvement to your dancing could just take off? Lessons last night were like that... in that our coach identified and then corrected something, and that got us really excited about our dancing... even DP had that look in her eyes of, "we can really do this..!"
  18. fascination

the interesting thing for me yesterday was more that, even though the dynamic was flat...I still just felt so grateful for what I have learned and what I am able to do...to my pro for sharing all of that information and for not being satisfied unless I could do it.... so it was a quiet enjoyable consolation in the middle of a time that feels a bit uncertain...I am grateful for his skill, and for his decision to share it...because it would have been easy enough at a certain point in time not to have bothered, because there was a time when I would not have known enough to know what I wasn't getting...so, even if I am not improving as fast as I would like to now, I am enjoying very much the imprtant ways in which I have been improving recently, even if I am enjoying them alone...I think they are having an impact on my dance in a very tangible way
  19. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

Hi Everyone! So happy to see some familiar faces here and some new ones! I'm Baaaack! Had my first lesson since 2011 the other day, new pro, new studio, new excitement! Worked on Rumba, Fox Trot and Waltz (American styles) and a lot of balance technique. :) Woo hoo!
    fascination likes this.
  20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Wow! Good to see you again, Kat!