how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Good lord, it's Stagekat! Long time no see!
  2. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

Hi Cornnut and danceronice! I know!!! It's been a lifetime! I've missed this world so! (to stay on topic) Lessons are going to hurt for a while, but I'm up for the challenge! Staying over the center of my foot in some instances is proving harder than rocket science right now.
    cornutt likes this.
  3. Shanae_87

Shanae_87 New Member

Wow! I'm pretty impressed with how long these threads go on for! I just finished a group class and only me and this other woman showed up today which I think was more of an advantage in the sense of getting to learn more and also have more opportunities to ask questions.The group classes and parties can make me feel discouraged as I tend to do better in the private classes. But I do need to keep reminding myself that the more advanced students have probably been doing it for years which is why they are this good. Anyways, I'm hoping that the more group classes and parties I attend, the more I improve. All in all, it was still a pretty good lesson and we worked on the rise and fall in Waltz and we also learned a little more on shaking our hips and integrating that into dancing. It was not very natural to me though. So hopefully practice makes perfect :)
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

last lessons of 2013...were okay...were even moment that felt like progress is being made...but not really sure what the new year will bring...what I want...whether or not I have a goal...what an appropriate one might even be...probably should use the next few weeks to ponder that...but probably won't have the time...
  5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I had a nice lesson with my pro last night. We're cramming a bit for Starz in January. We decided to add standard back in for this comp even though we hadn't competed in in since last January, and things are starting to come back together reasonably nicely there.

One thing that was nice, if perhaps from my standpoint a bit oddly timed, at one point in the lesson I got a "you know what? Just for fun, do this ... then this ... then this ... and then ... pivots. I thought it would be nice to do a bit of open (smooth)." It was fun, and I approve of the idea of working a bit of that into my lessons on general principle. I mean, I'm in no immediate danger of competing in open smooth, but working a bit of this sort of thing into our lessons should hopefully mean a bit less, "ZOMG open choreography!" on my part when the time does come for me to seriously start working it.
    cornutt likes this.
  6. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

I am so very, very happy. Finally getting some open choreo. Yes, still continue to work on tech, but now have some interesting patterns to work on latin tech with and finally got ok to play with style. Also told pro I figured out that if he wants to unlock me as a dancer, I need music. Had some lessons alone in the studio, he played great music and I am finally dancing!!!! All those grinding, ego-crushing, disheartening hours working on tech has paid off. It really is darkest before the dawn. Now off the computer and back to my tech....
    cornutt likes this.
  7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Good lesson last night - finally off the show routine, and back to competition prep!

Waltz and QS got some attention... though it'd been awhile, so pro was having trouble remembering the routines even after consulting my notebook. Lessson at some (most?) points became a who-remembers-best competition... I totally won, except for one little piece in QS that I flubbed... which had pro strutting around the ballroom high-fiving imaginary people, and doing a victory dance, because he'd remembered and I hadn't. :rolleyes:

And it's another new tango routine for me. 5th one since we started trying to make a routine for the next competition. Oh, and I've danced tango exactly 5 times in lessons since we started prepping for this next comp. Is it any wonder that I am having some issues with tango memory lately, to the point where I've really only been able to practice individual figures? I may have elicited a promise that this really, really will be the routine - 2 walls of it at least - but we'll see how long that lasts.

I also had to promise to type all my routines out - new tango one included - and e-mail them to pro (his notebook was among the items lost in a car break-in) so he can practice. It's about time that I get to give homework! :D
  8. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

getting so close to some really good movement and musicality in my dancing! Still looking for a new job, so I haven't been on the forums in a while... Hopefully I can find something in the new year, so i don't lose this progress I'm making.
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

New choreography in paso! Finally like the last wall. I've been doing that old routine for years, so happy to change it!
    Sania likes this.
  10. danceronice

Never let your pro know you find the Chipmunk Song really annoying. He'll find the even more annoying Chipmunk cover of "What Does the Fox Say?" And then you'll do Int. Cha Cha to it. (Never on a lesson will you see me have such deadly-serious arms and leg action, as in "If you're going to make me do this I'm going to work it like it's semi-finals at Blackpool and we're right on the borderline for recalls.")
    cornutt likes this.
  11. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Good lesson yesterday. Instructor quite focused inspite of being last day of lessons before studio closes for rest of the week. I feel like I learned so much. We worked on rhythm and specifically bolero. One more lesson next monday which will be last lesson of 2013. Feel like I am really progressing in my dance journey.
  12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

At least he hasn't discovered the foxtrot version of "Smoke on the Water" yet. Unlike our DJ. :vamp:
  13. danceronice

I don't even know that song, so if he has, it doesn't register. (Personally, I like the foxtrot of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Eye of the Tiger," so....)
  14. cornutt

Youngsters. :p
    j_alexandra likes this.
  15. cornutt

Two lessons this week with sorta-kinda new instructor, who is going to be my pro-am partner at Nashville Starz. Today we did run-throughs of everything. She critiqued my arms a lot. Going to have to work on that.
  16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Your arms? Or her critiques? :rolleyes:
    Sania likes this.
  17. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Last lesson of 2013 today. Feels good to look back on my dance journey this past year and reflect on how far I have come. Looking forward and excited for another year of dancing
  18. cornutt

:D Actually, this is one area where she is really helping me... she has lots of comp experience, and she is doing a lot of work with me on the "presentation" aspect of my comp dancing.
  19. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

NyanCat foxtrot. Your argument is invalid.

Worked with some new folks today on "slow" in foxtrot actually BEING slow.
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Committed to doing local multi-studio event in a few weeks...apparently I am doing both smooth and rhythm...how did this happen??!!....really, it's ok....I like the smooth routines and the rhythm will be fun :) ...good experience in following...anyway, being on the floor dancing is better than sitting around watching other people dance... ;)

Also told pro of intention to do real event that will come up quickly...doing smooth only...get ready. ;)