how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Great lessons last night. A little surprising given in the last three days I have: been a mover (slave labour), drove for what felt like a gazillion hours on winter roads, and worked for hours on my competition dress. My muscles have suffered some abuse. They may have been protesting before I ever got to the studio :)

Last night we finished building the new FT and Tango routines, then worked on waltz. Some minor adjustments, and some focus on connection, with great results. We managed to find this huge, effortless, sweeping movement that just kept getting better and felt more and more secure as the work went on.

I am excited to put in the work this week that will solidify what was found last night.
    (But maybe not today. Today, I hurt.)
  2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Started the new year right....three lessons in a row....smooth, rhythm and latin!
    sbrnsmith and fascination like this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am looking forward to lessons monday...and the general resumption of a normal routine
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Missed lesson yesterday evening and will miss lesson this afternoon...being sick isn't fun. :(
  5. Janson

Janson Active Member

Didn't realise I had gotten so unfit just in the two weeks over Christmas. Yesterday was hard, especially Jive exercises at the end - body just wasn't having it. But still very worth it!
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know, since we haven't had class so far this new year! Ack! Fallaway slip pivot to double-double-reverse spin, though, is actually coming along much better than anticipated. Contra-check? No. I do have a long list of things to work on when we finally do get back to it, though.
  7. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Ooooh, thats a toughie. Have that in my gold waltz- fallaway slip pivot, double-double reverse spin to contracheck. Unfortunately me and my partner can't seem to keep our sides where they need to be
  8. fascination

looking like my lessons are in danger of cancelling
  9. llamasarefuzzy

The worst. Stupid midwest weather.
  10. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

My momentum makes me start just hauling my partner like a draft-horse so that by the time contracheck happens, it's more contraWHOAIMGONNADIESHUFFLE. (contracheck after double-double-reverse)

If I could just keep my stupid head on the proper stupid side, I think that'd be a lot of it, but I want to cringe and bunch up during OMGSOFAST. Pro just laughs his knat off and powers right through it to see what kind of sounds I make.
    FancyFeet likes this.
  11. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Lesson cancelled yesterday and may have to cancel tomorrow too :(
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My lesson this weekend was not nearly the hot mess that I was afraid it was going to be, given the time I'd missed between holiday travelling and illness. With Starz coming up, that was extremely heartening.
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson yesterday...first in over two weeks...not the train wreck I thought it might be...rthythm was interesting...comment from pro about bolero...why are you tilted...uhmmm...didn't know I was tilted...well, stop it...insightful discussion followed about feeling and movement...comment to pro he dances bolero bigger than just about anyone else...reply back bolero is supposed to be big...comment that if I danced bolero with most leads at parties like I dance it with pro I would overpower them...reply back we need to fix that...I'm thinking how??!!...waltz and foxtrot felt awkward but pro seemed ok with it for now...comment to pro I'm dancing lowered, almost like I'm trying to sit down...good....fine, I'll deal with it, but still doesn't feel great...thinking hope this looks better than it feels...
  14. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Good lesson. Did rounds in all dances and had great energy. Pro commented on how focused I am... I like that, knowing him that is a compliment... Gave me stuff to practice which I am glad as next class is 8 days away. Still wishing I am better at Cuban, will keep at it
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I'm back on track.
  16. fascination

today was a hard day...for 5 1/2 years I have taken 8 lessons a week with a very talented instructor, prior to that I took 4-6 lessons a week from a decent instructor for 3 1/2 years....life has now dictated that I will be scaling down to 3 for however long that will be.....and, as I said, I feel blessed and fortunate to be able to continue at all...but I had a great fear that this news might not be well recieved, or that it might lessen the focus on learning...I am so grateful that my pro was understanding and upbeat today ...as I was exhausted and sad, but needed to dance and dance decently today....a big thank you to him is in order
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    ajiboyet, FancyFeet and Purr like this.
  17. fascination

so, last of my two day in a row lessons for the foreseeable future....will only be doing mondays henceforth until whenever...so, because others were already dancing smooth and standard, and maybe (just maybe) he took pity on my sad soul....I go to dance smooth and standard the entire three hours...and that was wonderful...well, I was pretty pathetic for the last 45 minnutes...but still, it would always be my preference and it was a nice consolation....particularly since he was sick and I know it is more taxing for him to have the tote the barge.....
  18. llamasarefuzzy

If dancing with you is like toting the barge, I don't even want to think about what my teacher thinks dancing with me is like :eek:
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  19. fascination

actually, truth be told...I think I DO in fact move myself pretty darn well...still, I am aware that 3hours of gold standard when one is sick is a lot ...and I am certain that I have my lapses sufficient enough that it wasn't a picnic
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  20. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Dancing gold standard for 3 hours when one is NOT sick is also a lot!!
    stash likes this.