how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

puh...we are tough
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Pro has been super-focused and on a bit of a mission during lessons the last 2 weeks.

Technical corrections for all of FT last week, and for all of Tango this week. I am still trying to get the brand new walls (and new-to-me figures) for both of those routines down. On these 2 dances, 7 out of 8 walls are new, meaning within the last 3 weeks. That plus a bunch of technical corrections and styling requests, plus a couple more routine changes was, well, a lot. I feel like I've had closer to 6 lessons than 2.

All in all though, good and v. productive. This weekend marks T-4 weeks to competition.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

Private lesson and four hours of group class this week were firing on all cylinders!! So much fodder for Latin and standard practices this week!
  4. fascination

struggling to stay positive...wish I was more talented now that I don't have the time or money to offset that....but determined to work harder and keep improving...next week will be better
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    latingal likes this.
  5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

also struggling to stay positive. Working on what I'm able without using my legs. Trying the visualization thing with pro. worked on 'walking' through our routines and talked about where our connection should be at each point.
    latingal and fascination like this.
  6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Ramping up lessons to get ready for upcoming local multi-studio event...lesson Thursday evening ok...lesson Friday went well...pro's comment was that's the best you've ever done...my reply was I didn't give a (moderates self)...I'm only going to the event to participate, otherwise I'm not looking at it as a competition...I wanted to wear a nice practice dress to the event, but pro vetoes it in favor of my ballgown...WTF??!!...pro says such and such will be there with students...I don't care but I agree to wear the dress...I wish I could participate in a reasonable dress without done nails, fake color, false eyelashes, and/or otherwise looking like a hooker, but it's not to be...heavy sigh

Lesson Monday not as good as last week but still within the acceptable range...tango not as crisp and clear as it could be...decided maybe it's not a good idea to do a big morning workout at the gym before an afternoon lesson...do you think?
  7. fascination

well...wearing the ballgown doesn't neccessitate that you do the rest....just sayin' :)
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

More than likely, I won't, but it's hard to get away from it. My nails are naturally a decent legnth (at least, as of today), so I will use nail polish (red). I'm not doing the artifical nails this time; they are a pain. Also, I'm not doing the fake tan because my costumes aren't that revealing for it to be absolutely necessary, and to be honest, I look ridiculous with any kind of tan. My concession is I bought a new Revlon powder highlighter/bronzer in a lovely palette over the weekend. False eyelashes are a must, although I think I'll go with the something modest not extreme legnth. As I do my own makeup, I'll work coming up with something that looks less like a streetwalker. :)
  9. fascination

right...I would imagine that your pro wouldn't even notice the diff if he is like most men...the gown is one thing, the rest of it is another
    cornutt and Purr like this.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lessons are focusing more on smooth as that will be my style at next comp. This is my second time competing in smooth. My first time, I had no idea how little I knew, so it was fun and I enjoyed it and placed well. This time I am very aware of how little I know and I am abit nervous.
  11. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Lessons going really well. Eleven hours scheduled this week! Felt energized and did everything my instructor asked of me to the point where he asked why I was so happy. I told him I love dancing, he's an awesome partner and I am so lucky I get to dance and have the time and resources to devote to it. This put him in a really good mood which is good for all the people that came after me, as he had a full day of lessons ahead of him.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Eleven lessons in a week! Wow! How many styles do you dance?
  13. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

I dance 3 styles. This is my week off and I took advantage and scheduled as many as I think I can handle. I am also doing my workouts/training with my trainer. Next week when I am working, I will have no time to do anything. Also, my teacher is out of town for the following week, so will have 2 weeks with no dance :(
    debmc likes this.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I'd love to take lessons that often!
  15. fascination

it is a wonderful thing
  16. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Double lesson tonight, then going with pro on a little road trip for a coaching lesson on Sat. This will be my first coaching lesson with a pro outside of our little studio. I'm nervous but my instructor seems to think I will benefit greatly from the session. Fingers crossed.
    latingal likes this.
  17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Rude awakening from my technique break....LOL! Unannounced round and then proceeded to tear into cha-cha like I was a first year student. Hug at the end was nice though.....
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

New samba routine (also first open samba routine)!!! So far manageable, but the goal is a full length routine in three 45-minute lessons, so we'll see if it stays that way.

Our coach decided that since we're short we're doing a ton of direction changed and few, if any, held poses. Not quite in my wheelhouse so it looks like I'm on another development journey for the foreseeable future.
    Sania likes this.
  19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

I feel fortunate that I am able to do this. I don't take even one lesson for granted because I know things can change. I just enjoy each practice, each lesson and each comp.
    debmc likes this.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My pro is away for two weeks so I am scheduling coachings with local female pros while he is gone. I had awesome rhythm coaching today, will have latin this weekend, then smooth next week!
    latingal and sbrnsmith like this.