how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Pros should not be allowed to be away! Just kidding
    debmc likes this.
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

We've decided the showcase will just not be ready by Indiana. But that leaves more room to focus on seeing how I handle competing Silver for the first time. Will be doing full bronze and the bronze scholarship, and pre-silver and the silver multidance. I fully anticipate getting my butt kicked in Silver, but at least it makes bronze feel easier. Now if I can just get over everything aching from the cold weather...
  3. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Final touches made to changes to gold international foxtrot routine to flow better on comp floor...I could not be happier with the "new and improved".

Now if only I can get past the mental block of the running finish in the QS.
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Had one of those "I stink, and can't dance" sort of lessons last night.

I arrived frozen from the super-awesome weather, and not as early as I would have liked, meaning I started out not totally warmed-up, and it took me a while to get there. First 10 minutes or so, legs were stiff, transitions were rough, and I just wasn't working through the floor as much as usual.

Pro is still in super-focused pre-comp mode. I got a LOT of fix-this, fix-that last night. The constant stream of rapid-fire corrections for an hour had me in a bit of a funk by the end. Oh, and the blaring music from another lesson that gave me a headache didn't help. Confidence was pretty low by the end. Pro may have suspected I was a bit off as the lesson concluded with multiple hugs, which is atypical.

This morning, I am feeling moderately better. Lessons have been really good lately, so I was due for a bad one... and I know I can dance. I had a bit off an off night, and pro was in a mood is all. Really just wish pro and I could get on the same comp-prep timeline though. I'm about a week away from shifing to run-throughs and polishing up only as I feel the heavy work should be done, and he seems to be just upping the intensity now. Something to table at a future discussion, I think.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

multiple hugs/lessons? does not compute :)
    j_alexandra and FancyFeet like this.
  6. fascination

when your pro is in a mood.....now THAT is a thread....
    j_alexandra likes this.
  7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Yup, our pros have different approaches for sure. From what you've shared, my pro's moods don't even equate to a good day for yours.
  8. fascination

9. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

That's funny because my lesson was underwhelming last night as well, and my pro was also in a mood. Though probably less so than I. I felt like I could have bitten everyone's head off and spit it back out. I'm feeling better today, to my husband's great relief.
    latingal likes this.
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson yesterday...dealing with an injury but tired of feeling sorry for myself about it...moving on...variety of dances on lesson...smooth theme seemed to be move yourself more/bigger than ever/keep it moving...still dealing with issues with shadow figures in waltz...asked for clarification on figure in rumba, ok, it's what I thought it was...had a brain freeze in east coast swing, what the heck was that....salsa started out good but had a minor mishap...did a couple of somethings right in the bolero, but no idea how I accomplished this (might have been a carryover from the move yourself more/bigger theme)...ended with tango, move more/bigger/faster/sharper

Big hug at end of lesson for such a good lesson...very atypical...who are you and what have you done with my pro??!!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  11. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Active Member

:) I think my pro is more likely to give me a hug if I'm clearly feeling incompetent…as long as I'm still trying hard. Whining, grumbling, complaining, or looking like I might give up (which I of course never, never, well almost hardly ever do) are at best ignored. As I'm literally old enough to be his mother, it's amusing when he responds like a stern parent.
    dancelvr likes this.
  12. fascination

interesting how different all of the dynamics can be...heh
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Clearly. From time to time, I've observed folks watching my lessons just for the entertainment value.
  14. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Finishing an amazing week of lessons, 11 hours in all and feels good. What doesn't feel so good is knowing I have 2 weeks before my next class :(

Edited to add- my pro has never given me a hug! He doesn't express himself that way
  15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson Friday...was in pain most of the lesson but pushed through it...dancing ok...taking a few days off before lessons Thursday and Friday....event coming up fast...not real hopeful at this point about a great performance, more worried about lasting through the event...
  16. fascination

discovered a few things to work on for the coming week....and he started out in a good enough mood, but I am struggling with the new normal and it threatens my morale...going to have to pull myself together and get a glass half full perspective ...
  17. OreganO

OreganO Member

great private with a visiting coach this weekend that made some (what feels like) major and good changes to smooth. Yay! She also managed to point out a few things to tweak in rhythm that the current coach hadn't articulated yet, all of which desperately needed to happen! Hooray for new focuses!
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

Holy samba rolls, batman!
    j_alexandra and Sania like this.
  19. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

An absolute divine and dreamy experience at my very first coaching session. Why have we not done this sooner?!?! And even though it won't be all that often, I plan to repeat it as much as I can.
    cornutt likes this.
  20. Dean

Dean New Member

New year, new teachers. And last night was the first time I took the lesson from my new teacher's partner, and it was great! Hopefully my "lead" skill will improve dramatically with the new arrangement by taking lessons from both of them.