how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Telling you something about the weather, the biggest accomplishment today was "Arrived without winding up in a ditch buried in snow." Just Rhythm rounds today, but other than foot cramps probably related to the cold and standing all day at work, it was good. It is increasingly likely the wheel (toe-heel swivels) will be "in" but he's reserving the right to make that call later. I'm averaging about 75% of the time getting them.

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Lesson started with an intense conversation, prompted by pro's "what's wrong?" query. I thought I was all good, but apparently something that happened the day before was still really bothering me, so, discussion time. Then hugs.

Then on to dancing - Tango, which actually has started to feel a little like Tango. It's a dance that I seem to wear really well, but because it presents so well, it never gets much attention, meaning it's the dance that I am the least comfortable with. After last night, comfort level is climbing... fixed my PP, and got to swap out a contracheck for a spanish drag in my second long wall. Pro then declared this was the best Tango lesson we've ever had. I may have reminded him that we haven't really had that many, so...

Then Foxtrot, which was not terrible, but not great. Haven't danced it with anyone in about a month, so was a bit rusty once I added a partner to the mix. Found the flow after a bit, and got a couple corrections on my new walls that I have been off learning on my own; the corrections should help things immensely.

Lesson concluded with "homework" assignments (this is standard), and a revist of opening discussion conclusions, and more hugs.

(Phone call from pro today to follow up on and revisit opening discussion conclusions. I must have really thrown him... oops.)

3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Any lesson where your coach makes you lie on the floor is bound to be interesting, right? Talked a TON about posture (and differences between Latin and ballet) and engaging my back in each movement. Also did some serious cleaning on my half of the new samba routine. Only problem is now I want to play hooky from work tomorrow to practice all day.

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I had lessons on Thursday and Friday last week prior to event on Sunday. Usually I imploded at least one lesson prior to an event, and this was no exception. Thursday I was hurting, the shoes I was wearing made it worse, and I couldn't do much of anything right. Friday, armed with ibuprophen and a different pair of shoes, I danced better. The comment I made was it's go time, and I'd better get my rear end in gear.

Sunday's event was a success. After nerves in the first two dances, the smooth dances went pretty well. As time went on, more of my personality came out, which helped. The rhythm dances, with the exception of a hustle and a bolero, were nothing to write home about. I was ok with that, since I only entered the rhythm dances for fun. I received a number of compliments from people, including some from random people I didn't know, mainly about the smooth dances. I also got a nice pep talk that I'll remember for some time to come.

I'm encouraged enough to enter another local event coming up soon. My plan is to dance the smooth single dances twice, as well as the championship event. While I'm not enamored of competing for multiple reasons, it serves a purpose as incentive, or perhaps inspiration, for improvement with dancing.

5. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Started our very first paso, two weeks before our first comp in 2014 :) Our amazing coach got us through to the first highlight in one lesson. All will be fine, time to hit the practice floor.

6. Dancing Irishman

We now have a samba routine!! It's currently a closed loop, so our next task is to practice it until we have some idea which part is our strongest and we'll make that into our intro section.

7. Dancing Irishman

Standard and Latin group class today...

I did scatter chasses to full speed music!!!!! I think I've hit my dance accomplishment quota for the week, and it's only Sunday.

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

While being instructed in bolero last week, I realized that my ankles are not as strong as they need to be. Adding that to my workout routine.

9. Dancing Irishman

Spent most of the lesson on various ways to make cha cha quicker...also talked how to make vertical lines more pronounced and how to articulate the body separate from feet in cha cha without losing the percussive (ties in pretty directly to making it quicker)

10. Janson

Janson Active Member

Learning Reverse Wave section in Foxtrot - never really got it before, and still not entirely sure what's going on. Although my general foxtrot is streets ahead of what it used to be.

11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Had a great lesson today over frame in standard. Had several lightbulb moments. Headed up to Chicago this weekend for more. So good to be back!!!!

12. Dancing Irishman

Got a lot of homework from our lesson with the Latin coach...though a lot of it was "Quit looking at the @$&!ing mirror/floor".

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I had a lesson yesterday afternoon...lesson a little all over the place for me...but something happened in the rumba...while I knew it's supposed to be danced on a bent leg, I didn't give it that much more thought, and it didn't hit home until yesterday...I made an adjustment which is a carryover from changes in other style...effect was immediate...felt more stable, better movement, and felt a few times like I was dancing into the ground...while I wouldn't say what I was doing was technically correct - don't really know that yet - it is an opportunity to strike out in a different direction and make the most of what I can do...rhythm isn't my strongest style, but was nice to see there still make be more room for improvement than I previously thought.

14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I gave up my lessons, coaching, etc., to fix the built in pool.
    I gave up my lessons for #2 Grandson to continue dancing, when he voiced,,,in the car,,,without warning,,,,"Nana, I really like dancing - it's way fun with all my friends at the studio...I don't want to stop...I would be really sad".
    Tug at heartstrings....sniff sniff.

15. flightco

flightco Active Member

Now trying to learn bolero. I know a lot of you love it but OMG, Waltz, Rumba and Tango in a blender, at least it is on the slow setting. Really having a difficult time just getting the feel for it. Doesn't help that I don't know any smooth dances.

cornutt likes this.
  16. Sania

Sania Active Member

Sounds awesome - would have loved to be the fly on the wall!

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

18. Dancing Irishman

Just did open quickstep to full speed music...definitely didn't think I had *that* in me!!!

Also getting cha cha drills up to full speed and starting to hammer out an open routine for cha...fun stuff all around.

middy likes this.
  19. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

Focusing on vwaltz, waltz, and foxtrot in my lessons

Learning some really difficult technique and I am struggling so much trying to get the hang of all of it :/

20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

At the end of my lesson yesterday, my pro made a point of telling me how much she enjoyed teaching me. Granted, it was in contrast to the home remodelling which is driving her slowly insane, but "teaching you is more pleasant than dealing with contractors" is still a compliment I will take. :D