how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dude, I have danced for 9 years and not heard it....take it and run :)

2. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Due to family obligations, I cannot attend the comp I was planning to go to at the end of March. I was sad and bummed, and honestly, a little at a loss as to what to do with myself during lessons now. So my pro stepped up and gave me plenty to focus on instead of the comp prep, including some opportunities in place of the comp. Back to happy!

Sania, cornutt and Dean like this.
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Worked on right side connection, approaching line figures with some more abandon - whoosh, then stretch, rather than grow slowly and steadily. Also, subdividing tango into 1-2 counts helps with intensity and sharpness.

Dean likes this.
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

This week's lesson was the second since comp, and we are at the "make routines" part of the process again.

Changes to waltz and FT last night to up the difficulty and make them show better (yay, bounce fallaway, throwaway oversway and multiple sucessive spins). Brand new QS routine - well, the first two walls anyway- hugely more dynamic than the old one (jumps, hops, scatter chassés and double locks).

Tons of work to do, but at first blush, I like these routines, and they look awesome. T-4 months to the next competition, and starting to feel motivated again.

And funny moment:
    Near the start of my lesson, and the ballroom is pretty empty - maybe a lesson and one or two people practicing. Pro demontrates one QS option for me (full 4 walls) - dancing his part though, not mine. I spend the time standing in the middle of the floor, watching. He comes back, we chat for a minute, I apparently at some point shake my head and point to a spot in the room. He nods, and goes to demonstrate a different QS routine variation. I stand in the middle, watching, until he finishes. I then apparently nod approvingly when he looks at me upon completion. Pro's partner and an advanced student bust out laughing from their spots in the room. Pro's partner found the apparent complete role reversal hilarious. I completely didn't realize what it must have looked like until she told me about it later!

5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

That is bloody brilliant!

FancyFeet likes this.
  6. Dancing Irishman

I started smooth this week!!!! Learned a ton of technique pointers, talked a bit about integrating arms into what the body is doing, and started to clarify CBM. I can carry some of the stuff over to standard, which is awesome because I'll probably become a 14-dancer in the not so distant future (with three different amateur partners...yay logistics!!!)

Latin lesson was equally amazing!!! Our coach was in rare form tonight and did an awesome job transforming the rough sketch we brought him into something with real pizazz.

7. OK. So i just switched Latin Partners and now i'm dancing with my GF/Standard Partner. She wants to be a 10 dancer. I've been dancing Latin for about 3 years now, but my GF has little to no experience in Latin so its been really frustrating. especially since she can't COUNT BEATS! It's so frustrating! I ask her what she does in Standard and she says she just follow me, but Latin she can't keep time at all! Anyone have any advice? Maybe a good trick to learning how to count music?

8. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. I spend A LOT of time listening to music, finding the beat, having other people check for me that I'm doing it correctly. Sometimes I have to listen to the same song repeatedly for the layers to separate for me and for me to hear the beat. If I'm having a lot of problems with a song, I have been known to check the sheet music to see what's going on. I am getting better, slowly. Sometimes my teacher has me count him in on a dance, sometimes he counts it for me for a bit to help me hear it.

It IS learnable, but will time, commitment on her part and patience from anybody helping her. I feel like an idiot sometimes, but continue to work on it because it's important to me. And I'm stubborn and don't give up easily.

9. fascination

looking forward to lessons next weekend...not as soon as I would like...but I will take it

Wannabee likes this.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Had 3 lessons in a row today working on new silver rhythm! It's interesting adding rhythm back after a couple of years absence. I'm appreciating and understanding what it shares and how it differs from international latin...and that has been a long journey.

11. Dancing Irishman

Be extra patient with her. She's picking up a new style, which means juggling new choreography, spacial relation to her partner, technique, connection, and music all at once...it's almost inevitable one or more of those will fall through the cracks as she juggles four competing mental efforts. Also, keep in mind that if she's at all aware of the beat or your facial expressions, she's probably as or more frustrated than you by her issues, so be extra gentle at a humbling / weak moment in her dance journey.

You could also take this as a good opportunity to develop your "supportive partner" skills, which are no less and maybe more important for your long term success as a dancer.

Loki and RiseNFall like this.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Demonstrating I'm truly All About Me I looked at the list for Starlite Ball and saw there were already three pasos on there. Me to pro: let's do something else. So the question is, how did I wind up not only advocating for a particular song despite it being a foxtrot, I argued it's more Slow than Smooth (it'll likely be both.) However, I'm wearing whatever shoes I feel like and they won't be court shoes.

debmc likes this.
  13. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Had a lesson with one of the judges from our NQE who liked us less than all the other judges. Worked exclusively on musicality... which I've actually never really had a lesson in. Hopefully pays off at Nationals!

14. musicbrain

musicbrain Member

"Four stages of lead/follow" from our Standard coach... Apparently I'm often too active as a lady.
    This led to an epiphany about something else entirely, though... Wait til coach hears he's inadvertently fixed our Latin too!

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

During group last night I was gently chided by a partner for pushing her into a tango open fan. Did not realize I was doing that. Once she pointed it out, I had to work at not doing it, so I guess I've been doing it for a while.

16. fascination

have you verified from a pro that she is right?

17. fascination

as for me...looking forward to lessons sunday...my new normal....then I will be in oregon to see the world's cutest toddler for two weeks....but hoping to get the new info into the body before I go...and to set up lessons for as soon as I return

18. Dancing Irishman

Phenomenal latin lesson today! Further fixed posture, got my two joints to focus on most for each dance, worked paso technique, clarified when to "drop" in the jive basic, got homework on using a feeling check versus visual check, and got technique for my latin turns (did that really all fit into 45 minutes?)

Sania likes this.
  19. fascination

that's pretty productive

20. Dean

Dean New Member

Focus on tango, and discovered that I need to start from beginning again, starting from 2 walks. My teacher made me realized how horrible my tango was, especially my lead. I felt sorry for all the ladies that I tangoed with for the past 1.5 years.