how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Very technique heavy this week, including some OMG-awesome level technique fixes. Basically two that will improve things so much. It's going to be a pain to get them in muscle memory, but based on the results after having worked on them for only about 15 minutes, it's going to be worth it big time.
  2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Smooth lesson last night...confirmed suspicion that being "self taught" for college led to LOTS of bad habits. I have a ton I need to work on, and I have a feeling my Saturday afternoon may turn into a MONSTER of a practice session (which is kind of exciting but also kind of terrifying...I haven't practiced for more than an hour in months).
  3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Not as well as I'd like. <sigh> Too busy to practice as much as I want/should. Yeah, I know, that's really on me.
    MAKE the time, right?
    chomsky likes this.
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Ummm, yeah, been there. Smooth tango just was not clicking. I prefer Standard anyway, but Smooth to Standard follows are in about a 10:1 ratio around here unless you're a comp couple, so if I want to dance at a social...
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lessons yesterday primarily on how to maintain appropriate levels of connection in any position in smooth....with fairly new matierial...so it is a challenge but one which I know is going to improve my smooth considerably
    cornutt likes this.
  6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

So much fun doing rhythm again...and it is coming along nicely!
    chomsky likes this.
  7. Dancing Irishman

Really fun lesson today! Got to expire just how misinformed my body and brain are about proper smooth technique, especially with regards to foot placement, use of hips, footwork (toe heel toe...never knew what I was supposed to do), and moving the rib cage. Oh, and for some reason I needed a coach to point out what the word "check" means in smooth even though I do checks all the time in Latin...total brain fart!
  8. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Had an amazing lesson today. Retooled our foxtrot to include some heel pull hairpins (tough as heck but so worth it) and got some guidance in fiddling with the velocity of our standing spin in the waltz. We feel good heading into Nationals!
  9. Dancing Irishman

Awesome international lessons this week! Latin lesson with partner was in a broom closet, which worked out well for me because without mirrors I was totally focused on either my partner or the "audience" (and subsequently got lots of coach compliments). And we worked out how to design our shapes so we look like we're moving as one.

Solo lesson talked about how to differentiate latin and standard for muscle activation, gave me some distinctions between CBM and CBMP, and got a fun turning combination for my cha cha.
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Had lessons Thursday and Friday...reasonably ok with where I am in smooth 3 weeks out from an event...the answer to everything smooth seems to be dance more into the floor (or lower, or use your knees more, it's all variations of more or less the same theme)...

Did a little rhythm for fun to finish lessons...loved rumba...partnering with pro was really nice...joy to dance, which isn't something I say lightly...also trying different technique things with dance...really danced on a bent knee...can't say this was all correct, but with partnering and quality of movement, I'm going to say this was a win...
  11. Dancing Irishman

Fixed my check and dev in smooth!!!!! Been doing the step 100% wrong for years, so glad I finally have a smooth coach to fix things!! Also now have a long and a short wall of smooth waltz, or something thereabouts. Not sure where I'm even going with my smooth, but I'm loving the journey!
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Apparently I really want to be the Cyd Charisse character. We're working on a showcase (to Mike Weatherly's "Bitter and Blue" from the NCIS soundtrack) and he's really letting me be creative and have concept input (I'm sure we'll offend the purists with things like broken-legged and weirdly turned in/out poses AND the outre with distressingly classical slow fox) and I've realized that I just function better if I don't think about throwaway/tumble turn/inside lunge are not exactly bronze. Also it's odd how much easier it all is when I wear Latin shoes...
  13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

so create a new fusion style called "Stlatin" :p :D
  14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Full-of-scary-gold-stuff waltz routine is actually kind of together. There are only a few parts that still feel like we're hanging on to the edge of the cliff by our fingernails.
  15. danceronice

Strictly speaking, ain't no rule saying I HAVE to wear court shoes...
  16. fascination

lessons this weekend....sincerely hope I haven't forgotten how to dance
    danceronice likes this.
  17. danceronice

I had that feeling not skating for four years. I didn't. You haven't. ;)
  18. Dancing Irishman

Amazing latin and smooth lessons this week...really added another layer to both styles this week! Now....I just need a lot of free time for practice!
  19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Pre-lesson: I can do that! I can do that! I can do that!
    Post-lesson: No, I can't.
  20. fascination

yet......

hug
    Dean and nikkitta like this.