how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson yesterday evening...ran through 3 smooth routines in preparation for upcoming event...had been experiencing pre event jitters prior to lesson but seem to be ok now, hopefully it's passed...practice went ok...the answer to most everything remains lower down and use your legs more...if that's not the answer then it's stretch/shape something or draw out/differentiate the timing more is...received random comment from another student leaving...you looked good out there...uhmmmm, thank you...me thinking that's out of nowhere, I sure don't feel like an elegant dancer

One side effect of dancing, and working out at the gym, is I'm developing some interesting muscles in my legs.
    3wishes and fascination like this.
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yet. ;)

Fascination beat me to posting this.
  3. Loki

Loki Active Member

Thanks, Fasc and Purr, I know.
    Just can be rather ego deflating.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no room for ego in dance...none...lost mine years ago....trampled so many times it just wasn't worth carrying anymore
    Dean and stash like this.
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Learning is a process, and it takes time.

Yesterday during my lesson I had a conversation with pro about the introduction to waltz routine. I said we're doing this to start currently, which isn't what the coach gave us. Pro said I was trying to make it simplier for you, because it (movement) looks a little forced. I said I don't want to make it easier, because I'm never going to get any better otherwise. Pro said ok.

I don't really care how stupid I might look, I'll get there in the end, and at least I tried. It's one of those things I wished I was more elegant and refined, but I'm not there yet.
    3wishes likes this.
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Frustrating lesson this week. I was cranky and out of sorts a bit at the beginning, and definitely by the end.

Finished choreo for tango and quickstep... not loving one of the tango walls so far, but maybe it will come.

Discussions with pro about:
    - whether the new tango long wall needed another figure (Him: maybe, yes. Me: No. We're just stepping through it right now. Add a figure and dance it full out, and we'll be out of space.)
    - more changes to tango hold to try and find a comfortable and strong connection. The new thought is that the issue is in my right wrist angle, not the arm/shoulder/back use, and in the height of his right hand.
    - why I couldn't seem to run QS from start to finish. Um... I learned two of the walls about 10 minutes ago, don't totally have the ones from 2 weeks ago down (and we just made a couple changes to them), and I have new figures learned oh, today, that I am trying to do. Give me a week or two, will you? Or at least a day of practice? Sheesh.
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Had second Latin lesson yesterday. We haven't touched Latin for three years. Oy. I'm excruciatingly rusty. But, we are rebuilding the basics, and I am enjoying the change.
    Sania likes this.
  8. fascination

choreography, lighter connection, partnering...some work on my contracheck and some other nasty habits....feels so good to be sore again and inspired
    dancelvr and Sania like this.
  9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Heading back to lesson(s) next week. Should be interesting.
    debmc likes this.
  10. fascination

more today in partnering, dancing through things rather than killing them, monitoring amount of connection and new choreo....quite nice
  11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson Friday afternoon...major issue was working on first wall of tango routine...the choreography is clever, but challenging, and it's all on me to sell it...I'm working on arm styling, including this head loop wrap coming out of a change in direction...it's great when the head loop works, not so great when it doesn't...had one laugh during lesson...pro initially was saying at beginning of routine in shadow, you're not taking big enough steps...so I take big steps...but at the end of the wall I do a spin and separate from him to finish...I take really big steps...pro has to scramble to keep up...pro says, I didn't think you were going to take that big of steps...

No major issue with v. waltz other than the the usual...stay lowered more...sigh...it's the story of my life...only a few more practices to go before event...thankfully nerves from last week are gone...just looking forward to getting on with it...will say I've learned a lot about the dynamics of movement in the past year regardless of how results turn out...
  12. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This! Definitely my feelings about yesterday's lesson. I was just coming back after a 10 day hiatus, longest break for me since I began dancing years ago. I'm crossing my fingers that a little of what was wrong was due to this, but I'm suspicious that it isn't as responsible as I would like for it to be.

Pro was correcting a piece of technique in rumba. He would fix it, then something else would go wrong and he would have to fix that. By the time he "fixed" everything, I honestly could not remember what the original problem was.
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson yesterday...dancing wasn't bad...but getting mixed feelings about going to dance event on Sunday...pretty close to saying to (moderates self) with the whole thing...made SOS call to the troops this morning...
  14. musicbrain

musicbrain Member

Got the first chunk of our gold Paso routine. DP is dragging his heels (figuratively!) We had a routine once upon a time in Silver, but never really learned it. So there's going to be a bit of an uphill battle!
  15. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Smooth lesson tonight reaffirmed my love of the style! Did some solid work on fixing positioning and moving to "dominate" the space rather than just dancing down the line. Also started some basic silver foxtrot patterns, and I have a new favorite step!! That fallaway to oversway just feels sooooo nice when you nail it!
    fascination likes this.
  16. Lillypad

Lillypad New Member

Lesson was difficult, but good. We went over our rumba routine and worked on basic technique since I'm still new at Latin. My partner is a bit more experienced but it's good to know that he has things he has to work too, a little reassurance for me that the lesson is not a waste for him. Our coach says that it's even more important for him to develop a clear lead since I still don't quite know what I am doing.
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Say some more about what you did with this. I think I get what it's about, but I'd like to hear more.
    Sania likes this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Basically, the idea was to emphasize movement between the center of the floor and the edge of the floor more than movement down the line of dance and to really finish the movements all the way even when you're changing direction immediately (such as in the progressive open twinkles from the dvida silver waltz syllabus). Although at first it didn't make sense (my previous understanding was that smooth was meant to travel quickly down line of dance), it made sense after thinking about it more: the total circumference of LOD is much bigger than the distance from wall to center, so it will be easier for an observer to quickly spot a couple filling more of the space orthogonal to LOD than a couple moving more quickly down LOD if both are doing equally more than the other couples in their respective choices.
  19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Pro is increasingly allowing me to indulge my inner Cyd Charisse. I accused him of the open side by side work being a sneaky attempt to make me learn foxtrot figures. Other advise I accused him of trying to make me like it by convincing me it's really just like Latin. He likes my framing concept for the showcase. The music editing may actually be the hardest part.
  20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I had a nice lesson with my pro instructor last night. We spend some time on rotation, use of my back and head positioning. And I now have functional silver smooth waltz and foxtrot routines. They're fairly bare-bones, but they are functional. And unequivocably silver.
    cornutt and llamasarefuzzy like this.