how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Awesome lesson... Went over all the good and bad from last comp and have plan for next one. Feeling good overall and excited for next one.... Bring it on

SwayWithMe and dancelvr like this.
  2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Great lesson today. Still building on Latin, but also keeping in touch with Standard. Loving it! And, the knee is finally working again! Woohoo!

cornutt likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lessons monday...cannot wait

4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Great latin and smooth lessons this week!!!

Smooth polished up the waltz and foxtrot a bit more. Started talking about how the step doesn't really finish until you're taking the next one...still not sure I fully grasp how to apply it, but I could already feel it making a huge difference.

Latin lesson focused on how to really engage the arena space (I'm not exactly a showman by nature, so it's my least comfortable space usage by far). Also touched on deepening my understanding of rotation and how to work my arms and body to make my rumba basics look less like mud and more like rumba.

RiseNFall likes this.
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

A couple of routine (good but nothing special) lessons over the last couple weeks, and a great one yesterday. Viennese, waltz, foxtrot and quickstep all got some attention yesterday, with the bulk of the work on viennese and foxtrot.

Things are starting to feel really solid and together. The recent changes to my frame and increase in core strength are making a difference. And after several weeks of learning new choreography and figures, we're back at the stage in working the routines where it's little tiny tweaks that make huge differences - a slight change to the step angle, a little more or less shape in a certain spot, taking the energy out a little in a step, etc.

I still can't believe the changes that these imperceptible adjustments have. Not sure pro can either - he made a comment yesterday after a couple adjustments in waltz that he thought we'd really found the flow in that dance before Classique in February, but it's much better now and he likes it. I'm still jazzed about how it felt - calm and easy and graceful and pretty and collected and light but powerful... that's the feeling that has me hooked :)

Funny moment: Viennese is a fairly new dance for me, and has nowhere near the mileage of the others. It's come a long way, but tends to feel a bit rough or stiff when I dance it at speed - especially in the reverse turns (oddly, looks not bad, apparently). Dancing it yesterday during one pass, it felt really good. Smooth, and easy, and powerful... and I was thinking "wow, this is going really well". Then pro did a change step in an unexpected spot, and I totally flubbed it. As in, you'd have thought I'd never done the step before, ever, level of flub. Pro starts laughing his a$$ off, and called me out on what I was thinking. :oops: Whoops. Guilty.

Dean, ajiboyet and cornutt like this.
  6. fascination

lessons tomorrow...can't wait...better go practice

cornutt and Dancing Irishman like this.
  7. fascination

4 smooth lessons...color me happy...focus on maintaining a light connection from a variety of positions, maintaing a ...common center...and on dancing together....enjoying the choreo and feeling encouraged about the skills I am gaining

Sania, Purr and nikkitta like this.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Pro cornered me last night and told me to think about what I wanted to work on during our lesson today. Odd. I usually get some input, but it's largely his call. Unless we're doing choreography, my typical lesson format is: 1) answer questions FF has come up with during practice over the past few days; 2) work on a spot in a dance that FF is uncomfortable with/feels is rough (and is usually a spot pro agrees needs work); 3) whatever pro wants or feels we need to work on (the bulk of the lesson).

Apparently today's lesson is entirely my choice, with the only stipulation being we need to work two dances, and run a third at the end. Oh, the power... and gah, choices!

9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

My pro literally banged his head against the wall yesterday because I was taking a few too many liberties in terms of "dictating" what we did. I had a bunch of technical questions and then when he wanted to add on to it I pretty much said I had taken in as of that type of information as I could. I did the same thing last lesson and then came back this week asking lots of questions about what I couldn't deal with last time. He knows he can override me when I say something like that, but I have resolved to do better next lesson. (The head banging is amusing, but probably not good for his head or the wall.)

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My lessons? All great!!

sbrnsmith likes this.
  11. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Kind of decent, actually. NOT a lot of positive chemistry with my partner right now, but it makes it easier to focus on everything I'm doing wrong and fixing some of it. We have a great instructor, and soon, we're getting a visiting couple from L'Ville for a workshop and some private lessons for a weekend, so that's good, too.

12. dancelvr

Great lesson today. It was kind of a smorgasbord of both Latin and Standard. Am finally getting my feet under me again (so to speak) in Rumba. Cha-Cha is kicking my rear, but it will come around too. Second foray into a little Samba was fun. And, a couple of rounds each in Waltz and Foxtrot. Legs are a bit tired tonight. Love that feeling. :)

13. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Lots and lots of angst lately. I'm preparing to move up a level at my next big comp this summer. And it is freaking me out, not even a tiny bit in a good way. And it actually has little to do with my dancing. I don't feel I have the right "look" for the next level. And I am certain no one can help me get over that one. That is all me. But the stress, frustration, and anger I'm experiencing in my lesson because of it are making my lesson time quite counter-productive. I hope I can find a way to channel my feelings of inadequacy in a more positive way, because I'm suprisingly not all that displeased with the progress of my actual dancing. It would be a shame to let my other feelings ruin my enjoyment of the learning process. We shall see I guess.

Mufanga likes this.
  14. fascination

my sympathy, I suffered with that horribly on the last move up...am over it now but it took years

15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Ah, well, I can offer some suggestions from personal experience (in other words, I have felt exactly the same way). Part of a professional's/studio's job description is to help guide students in this regard. Let your pro/studio help. If you don't feel that your dresses are up to snuff, ask for suggestions. Perhaps a small jewelry, accessory, or hair change would help. Make up or hair? Once more, ask for opinions and suggestions. If you do your hair and makeup yourself, ask them if they think it needs an upgrade and if so, practice the changes now. I trust my pro and the studio that they are not going to let me go out there looking inappropriate. If you are instead talking about body type, it is what it is, and you can get a lot of support for that here, too, but I'll wait and see what the issue is!

16. Wannabee

Body image issues...always body image issues :meh:

17. Wannabee

I'm sorry to hear you went through the same feelings of sort. It is one of the most unpleasant things I've experienced.

18. kckc

kckc Active Member

how long until the comp? Is there a confidence-builder before you can perform at before then, like a showcase or a small comp? (I realize the actual dancing is not the issue)

19. fascination

it was very hard ....because I had waited a long time to move up and while I had done quite well in the previouslevel and in dippingmy toe into the next level...I was lacking the confidence in myself andreally never gained it...for a variety of reasons including body issues, and interpersonal dynamics...it took quite a while for me to feel like I didn't needto apologize for moving up

20. dancelvr

I felt that way moving up from Bronze to Silver. Body consciousness is always an issue for me. Not to mention all the new choreo and such, and I'm at the top of my age category. (I'm aging up into the next bracket in 9 months...woohoo!) But, looking at the judges marks, DP says we are at the right level. It was his idea to move up. Bronze was just getting stale as all get-out.