how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

^^ Me too :(

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

working new choreo....trying to be patient about not being able to do it at the highest personal level immediately (because I am crazy like that)....worked waltz tango and foxtrot...then a bit of mambo just for kicks and giggles...biggest challenges are trying to apply technical information that I have already learned to the new material and in trying to maintain new concepts regarding lighter yet more responsive connection...it's a tall order...but I am welcoming the opportunity to try

nikkitta likes this.
  3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Had two lessons, which pretty much imploded...still struggling with characterization of dances...basically, I have nothing...also struggling with drills from "name" coach

Then had coaching from other coach...lots of insight into v. waltz...appears less overwhelming, although I'm still not sold on my routine...pro likes it, I don't...I'm stuck with it...

Also had some insight into tango...my rountine has sequence that includes fallaway to swivels to same foot lunge...coach said this was difficult...coach managed to get me into this ridiculous shaping from the same foot lunge...told pro I'm in trouble now that we can see what's possible when I/we eventually get it right...

Finally got something of a pep talk for characterization problem...it's like one delicate spider thread, but it's something to build on...

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Starting some new showcase choreography. This time, we're going to make a better effort to retain what we've learned about movement and expression as we are learning the choreo, instead of the typical "let's just walk through it first" and trying to add that back in after. I decided last weekend what I want to do for music, and I've got to record it this week so AP and I can practice to it this weekend. (Also have to decide what we want the length and tempo to be...)

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson again yesterday post coaching...made up for imploding lessons last week...felt good about it...danced waltz and tango...worked on shadow sequence in waltz...addressed on issue...ok....moved on to another issue...and first issue kind of fell down...ok then, when the first one becomes more natural, the second will come along...subtle shift of movement generaton in tango, and trying to tighten the whole look up...pro did trick if I got out of position even a tiny bit, he'd stop dancing...also was told I get to add certain stretches pre lesson to help with shaping during lesson...fine, at least we figured out I can do the shaping...

...glad I've got a few days off before next lesson...I am tired and sore...am wearing a pair of old black jeans today 2 sizes smaller than what I was wearing in January...besides all the dance lessons, walking, and working out at gym, I've been making an effort to eat better...lots of raw fruits and vegetables...have thought if samina were lurking, she'd approve...

nikkitta likes this.
  6. OreganO

OreganO Member

Lessons with the new dp are fun and frustrating. Yesterday most of the lesson critiques were about things I normally do with my previous partner but he's not at that level yet. On the other hand, it allows me to examine my thoughts on a good lead and preferences. Sigh. I think I'll be rather pleased when I don't have to factor in graduation to my ballroom partnerships.

7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Lately, we've been splitting the lesson between Latin and Standard. Oh....not today. The entire hour we worked on rumba at my request....foot placement, directional tweeking (NOT twerking! ;)), sharpening up turns, and learning when the, what my DP calls, 'hurry-up-and-wait' moments occur. Tons of new information. Can't wait to get back to practice and see what stuck and what didn't. :)

Sania likes this.
  8. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Post comp lesson was awesome... Went over all the 'issues' and a plan is in place before next one

9. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Working on head position issues. Sigh.

10. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Lesson after last weeks 2 coaches sessions(2 different coaches) I am quite pleased that a good portion of what I was coached on showed up in my lessons. I wonder why with one of the coaches, which we use often, I seem to retain a great deal of what I am taught...interesting.

11. fascination

nice day...worked some corrections in all dances and explored more open choreo that plays to my strengths...nice to have choreo that is actually is created to do that

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Purr and Dancing Irishman like this.
  12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Last latin / standard lesson til coach comes back from Blackpool was this week. As a result, I have tons of homework to tackle in the 3 and a half weeks he's out, and I'm kind of ridiculously excited about it. Now I just need to put aside the hours to actually fit the practice in!

There's also a chance I'll be able to take a guest coaching from a big name smooth coach (my smooth teacher's teacher) when he comes into town in a couple weeks. I'm not sure if it's something I'm ready for yet, or if I still have so many bad collegiate habits I need to stamp out that it's not worth cramming any more info into my brain (being more or less self-taught in smooth has given me some seriously awful habits...fortunately I have a very patient coach and am happy every time I catch one). It helps that he comes in every couple months, so I know it's not a once-in-a-lifetime thing (barring completely unforeseeable changes in the future) and therefore might pass on it this time around (I'm not sure it'll be twice as valuable as a lesson with my teacher, which is how it's priced).

13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My lessons with my new partner continue to go very well. We made some very nice strides on our tango.

My solo lessons with my pro went well too. I'm getting reasonable comfortable with my waltz, foxtrot and tango choreography and we're able to spend real time working on how to do stuff rather than what I need to be doing in the first place. Vienese is still a work in progress. There's a bit in particular that I'm going to need to spend some real time this weekend convincing my feet to do what they're supposed to be doing.

Purr and cornutt like this.
  14. FancyFeet

I'm not sure. I feel like there's been some real improvement lately, but some days I feel like I'm completely terrible.

The highlight from yesterday's lesson: "Thank you" (with feeling). "Your Viennese is beautiful when you don't try."

Sigh.

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

So last night AP and I were trying to do a runaround figure where she changes positions in the middle of it, which we've had a lot of trouble with. Like the good little engineers we are, we've both been working it for maximum angular momentum. Our instructor said, "Both of you are trying waaaay too hard. Don't try." And it worked. :rolleyes:

nikkitta likes this.
  16. fascination

I hate it when that happens

cornutt likes this.
  17. FancyFeet

That's basically the theme with me... "screw it" doesn't work, but nor does actual effort... still trying to consistently find that line of doing just enough.

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Post comp lesson was awesome! We will continue to compete in silver rhythm and silver latin but are starting to learn open rhythm and closed gold latin. I am so excited!

cornutt and sbrnsmith like this.
  19. fascination

I loved closed gold latin...haven't done much of it lately and miss it....enjoy

debmc likes this.
  20. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Bolero. Sucks.
    Concentrating is for stupids.
    People PAY me to show THEM how to do this crap?
    WHY am I doing this again?

That was almost haiku. Bad non-dancing month has shot my concentration all to peabody and back, and I just couldn't get it together today. I take comfort in the fact that I've seen "real" pros having terrible days at comps before, but they still looked way prettier when they got roundhoused in the face right in front of Gary McDonald in the final.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014