how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

More lazy pivoting... I think I'm finally starting to understand what I need to do with my left side. It works when I feel like I'm trying to put my sternum on the right side of her ribcage. I'm also starting to get a better feel for the back half, and not rush it quite so much. Both of us need to work on fully committing to the foot on the forward half.

Dean likes this.
  2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Continued awesome coaching insights today in my smooth lesson. Starting to deepen my understanding of promenade position and really "get" how to produce continuous body motion with discontinuous lower leg actions (the phrasing makes sense in my head...sorry if it actually doesn't in writing).

All in all, can't wait to hit the practice floor tomorrow!

3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

My feet were so swollen today (probably from being on them all day yesterday) that I couldn't wear my Latin shoes at our lesson this afternoon. So, it was Rumba....barefoot! (with nylon stockings) Oh my gosh.....the ability to REALLY use my feet was a remarkable feeling. My entire body relaxed, and everything just flowed. I'm spoiled now. After 20 mins of that, it was back into my court shoes for some Waltz and Quickstep. We corrected some timing issues, and that really smoothed things out. Woohoo!

4. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Had another really good coaching with AP yesterday! Things are feeling better every time we dance :)

Otherwise, in a good place right now. Material from two pros and coach is all fitting together nicely, feel like I'm finally getting on top of some old bad habits / misunderstandings.

Sania and cornutt like this.
  5. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Had another great lesson. Feel that Rhythm is finally coming together for me....I struggled with it for so long...and I was starting to think I should just focus on Smooth and Standard which I do better at....but I always wanted to be good at rhythm. Last 2 lessons were intense....both pro and I realized we were making a breakthru....we went without a break for 2 hours, we were so focused and the time just flew by. I saw his reaction and I was beyond thrilled, because he does not compliment ofetn at all. And he knows how I have struggled with cuban motion and correct hip action, and he was overjoyed to see that I am finally getting it...to give him credit, he never gave up. Just kept presenting the information and technique in new ways, till it finally clicked.

dancelvr, nikkitta, RiseNFall and 3 others like this.
  6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

First lesson post event...pro said he was happy with how I danced, and didn't have any complaints...talked about what I needed to do to move forward to the next level...response was you're very close and there's not much difference in what you're doing...need to work on one main issue, that I've spent a lot of time on...issue was significantly better for event, but still could be better...I need to do some work in the gym to help fix it...have other remaining issues as well, but smaller than they used to be...I need to find another reasonably local event to have something to work towards

...other things going on...continuing weight loss saga...got into 2 sizes smaller jeans the other day from a couple of months ago...this is not a diet, its a lifestyle change...and eating healthy isn't what it's cracked up to be...even if something's supposedly healthy, you still have to watch calories, fat content, sugar content, salt content, etc...it's all about portion control...have a few health related issues as well, which I'm not going into details on a public forum...let's just say that getting older is not for sissies...interestingly, my doctor said that ballroom dancing was good physical therapy for one issue...

nikkitta likes this.
  7. cornutt

That sounds like good progress. Congratulations!

Ain't it the truth.

Purr likes this.
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I have an old pair of skinny jeans in a smaller. When I can get comfortably in them, I've reached my goal. I can get in the jeans now, but they're too tight and I can't zip them up.

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Forgot the word "size" in the above post, after the word smaller.

10. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Finding more power in the working leg

11. cornutt

Back to foxtrot showcase choreo tonight, now that I finally found time yesterday to rework the music. I did not like how the first version came out, and I think AP and instructor agreed with me on that. :eek: And we've already got nearly enough choreo for the whole routine, which is a good thing since August isn't that far away.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lessons were still, and will be for the foreseeable future, a combination of adjusting to new choreography and one another and to, most importantly maintianing the correct (bare minimum) level of connection and common center....and, for me, erasing negative tapes

13. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Blah. Grr. And other sounds of frustration. Wasn't feeling 100% today, was first lesson in almost a month (and first time in hold in that long), and I may have been working through some pre-comp panic, made immeasurably worse by pro's demand right at the beginning of the lesson that I dance a full round on my own so he could see what I've been up to while he'd been gone, and stood there watching intently while I danced... not my best to say the least.

His conclusion from the opening torture exercise is that I know the routines well, and they have improved while he's been gone, but I rush when I'm stressed (duh) and that I need to make sure I have a loooong warm-up next weekend to get my jitters out (also duh - there's a reason that I have a general warm-up, then get dressed, then have a solo dance warm-up, then a warm-up with pro at comp... it takes me that long to get settled and into my happy dance place).

I eventually settled down, and the last half was decent. Have another tomorrow, and I'm hoping it will be better - and that I'll feel a little less like my head is going to explode from sinus pressure.

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Silver Smooth to go with Silver Rhythm, complete with my usual fussing and moaning (despite actually picking it up much faster than the Rhythm routines. We shall not, apparently, discuss Mambo.)

Me: "HEY THESE ARE A LOT LIKE MY SHOWCASE. IN FACT A LOT LIKE A LOT OF MY SHOWCASES."
    NP: "And when we're doing Silver your showcases will look a lot like Gold..."

I am on to his evil plan!

15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Samba today....lots of Samba! Thirty minutes of this, on top of the rest of my lesson, and I don't need to hit the gym tonight....whew! We finished up with some Waltz and Quickstep. It's been fun getting back into Latin. I've missed it. But, DP wants to keep up with Standard too. And, after the short break from ballroom, it's amazing how much better it's feeling now. :) I may have to stretch the pocket book, and do both styles. I need a second job.......

16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Clever man! ;)

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Yesterday's lesson was indeed better. I was a little more settled, and we were able to put in some good work of connection, posture and me creating my own space. Too much solo practice meant some of my alignments were a little off, and I was dancing with the rotation point at my centre instead of the centre of the couple. I was "reminded" yesterday.

And OMG, I didn't know that I could produce and hold that kind of shape... I'm feeling each end every one of my back and ab muscles today, but it looked amazing. Kind of like "what? oh, don't mind me, I'm just hanging out over here on the left." :D

dancelvr likes this.
  18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

More focus on power from the working leg. And made some additional changes in styling options to accommodate the darned soreness in my neck, and I hope that those changes need be only temporary.

19. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Marveling at the changes that take place in one's dancing when one switches teachers. Not coaches - but teachers. I am amazed at a) the education I received from the last one, now that it is all the new one sees from me, b) the learning curve that happens when five years of "that's always been a weak area" no longer exists and there is just an assumption that I can do anything. It's like the training wheels have just come off, and yet I'm simultaneously infinitely grateful and aware that the last five years also built a pretty damn good bicycle.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that is a wonderful thing....I love it when that happens for me as well....it's like a whole new world opens up and you get to celebrate your accomplishments and also begin to see how the new direction is going to grow you in exactly the way that it needs to

GGinrhinestones likes this.