how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My pro has pretty much always let me lead her, to the point where we've gotten positive comments about it at competitions. But the last several weeks, my pro has been trying to take that to the next level, where she's not only following, but not actively helping . If that makes any sense at all. Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not fooling myself into thinking she's *really* not helping at all above and beyond dancing her part, but there's been a noticeable conscious effort on her part to do less of it.

It seems to be working too. While working on my tango pivots this weekend, we got a comment from one of the studio's open level dancers who I don't know along the lines of, "gosh, he's really doing those". I guess it's not entirely uncommon for female pros to kind of haul their students through those. You poor, poor female pros. :)
    Dean and ajiboyet like this.
  2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Yup...I'm definitely still a little dead weighty with my smooth pro still on some moves (though she started cracking the whip from the second lesson, once she knew I had had a lot of Eastern Europeans prior).
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol...you weren't with EEs long enough if you still need to have the whip cracked....I crack my own whip now...and am usually told to chill :)
    llamasarefuzzy and FancyFeet like this.
  4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Active Member

My pro told me today that if I wanted him to be a bellboy, I needed to tip him better. We agreed that me improving how I was following was a better solution, particularly since I don't actually tip him at all….
    Dean and Dancing Irishman like this.
  5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Added Silver Viennese to the lesson. Things like spins within reverse turns: easy-peasy. Going down a long wall in the intro without crossing my feet? Borderline impossible.
  6. fascination

lessons sunday...cannot wait....just heard from a long time dance acquaintance who reminded me of how fortunate I am...so looking forward to this
    sbrnsmith and cornutt like this.
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Lesson today....two hours, one of those perfect lessons when everything seems to flow....so grateful I can do this and have the time, money and energy to devote to it....we talked a little about our game plan for next comp and instructor very focused and full of energy and enthusiasm which I appreciated so much, especially as I was first lesson of the day and he had a long day ahead of him....it's at times like this that I appreciate these pros for what they do, their patience, energy and attention
    Dean and dancelvr like this.
  8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Too true! When I was a kid, my skating coach was Russian... Started taking a few lessons here and there with an ee and I am rapidly remembering what that is like!
  9. llamasarefuzzy

Good lesson on some open waltz technique. Finally after a year feel like I'm dancing the routine instead of the other way around
  10. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

A double lesson today. What bliss! *sigh* We worked a lot on connection in rumba, and choreo in cha-cha and samba. Then.....standard. Waltz, foxtrot, and quickstep. The goal here was to accomplish relaxation while still maintaining power and shape. (I spent so much time in the past dancing with pain in my knee, that my body automatically tensed up during certain steps, then it stayed tense.) The knee is working wonderfully now, and the relaxation I was able to achieve by the end of the lesson made waltz and foxtrot just float, and quickstep really fly. It was a very happy day! :D
    Sania, nikkitta and raindance like this.
  11. llamasarefuzzy

Left whisk in waltz and frame volume overall. Thank goodness.

Edit: also standing spins lolololol
  12. fascination

enjoyed lessons today...was in much better space....we worked ever increasingly advanced connection exercises...and this is exactly where I want to go in my dancing....we also had to work the choreo because it is new to me... both some closed, as a starting point, and the first open routine that he has constructed for us which is really feeling good given how knew it all is.....sad to be heading out of town for nearly the entire month and therefore taking a longer break than I would like....probably none til the end of July at best...I will not pout...but I want to
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  13. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I've had three different people in the last two days tell me how much they love hearing me sound excited about dancing again. That must mean lessons are going well...adjusting to the new teacher, new choreography, new challenges...oh, yes - the challenges - I'm loving it!
    dancelvr, 3wishes, Sania and 2 others like this.
  14. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Lots of fun today, working on ways to "harness" my power and bring out my expressiveness. Ended with pro telling me I'm "kind of an awesome chick" LOLZ
    Dean and Sania like this.
  15. Dancing Irishman

AWESOME lesson yesterday with my latin teacher! Worked a lot on clarifying the beat values and dynamics in our samba routine, including some choices on what we wanted to "sell" with a particular step or steps.

I finally feel like promenade runs are a step I can really dance!!! And holy crap the connection with my Latin partner has gotten better!!!
    Sania likes this.
  16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

More styling for the Silver Smooth, steps in place, footwork he is satisfied with, details details details...on to Desert Classic next week.
    Sania and fascination like this.
  17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

More work on rumba today. The emphasis on a stronger connection is finally starting to sink in...woohoo! Then, because last week went so well for standard, we went back to it....waltz and foxtrot. DP was pleased. Instead of it feeling a bit stiff and forced (like it has been for a looong time)....I got the remark..."That felt so...swishy." As he had a big smile on his face when he said it, I took this to be a good thing. :)
    ajiboyet likes this.
  18. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

First lesson post-comp. I suffered through my videos again multiple times (I hate to watch myself). Pro watched each dance twice, then after my lesson, watched them again - along with all my old competition videos from the last year. The general consensus on the last comp: good, really good in some areas, but with still a couple of weaknesses that need to be shored up. Apparently the things that are really good make the weaknesses stand out more because of the contrast... so we need to fix the weakenesses and highlight the really good.

Not much dancing at this lesson. We did look at my routines though, and despite my suggestion that we keep the vast majority of my choreo the same to let me focus on improving said weaknesses over the 11 weeks I have before my next comp, we are changing waltz, foxtrot, QS and tango. As a compromise and nod to the maintenance of my sanity, we are keeping all or most of 2 walls in each of those routines, and changing out the rest. Happily, pro dislikes the same parts of the routines that I do, so my favourite bits are staying.

I have most of the new waltz routine already - seems we are going to a routine with 5 or 6 walls there, and I like how the new walls are all about movement. In FT, we roughed out some ideas for the new walls... and for tango, tried a couple of things out, but none were quite right. QS apparently needs to have the difficulty upped in the new walls. I've not competed the routine that I have now as we left QS out for the last comp, so I'm a little nervous about that, especially given it's included in the three dance championship this time... frankly the step-hops that are already in the routine scare me a bit as they are pretty new, and I'm aware that more hopping and running will probably be coming my way.

VW I'm supposed to work largely on my own. I need to make a few corrections to foot alignments in my reverse and to my posture, but otherwise, it's good.

The plan for next comp - all 5 dances. I have competed them all before, but will be doing all 5 together for the first time.
    Dean likes this.
  19. Dancing Irishman

My smooth instructor was told by her coach a couple weeks ago that she and her partner need to do less dancing with their students and more practicing (ie make what they do with their pro am students demand more high quality dancing from them, the pros). As a result, my silver waltz with her is easily the most aerobically and choreographically demanding smooth or standard routine I've ever done. It's got e'er'thing but the kitchen sink in there, and I'm ridiculously excited to work on it!

Also so, so excited to see what the other 3 silver ones look like!
    ajiboyet likes this.
  20. Cal

Cal Active Member

Some of the power I'd found in my practice session made its way into my lesson. So now working on that as a base to build upon.