how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The fall show this year has a Broadway theme. We'll even be using a real stage, not a floor. Songs have have been used on Broadway. My pick, which NP finds highly amusing and yet another change of pace for me? "Fugue For Tinhorns" from "Guys and Dolls." (I told NP not to laugh, a high-payout Pick Four at Parx paid for my last lesson package with change left over.) QS/Peabody, and for someone who's been teasing me every comp about making me enter the latter, SOMEONE can't really remember it very well.... ;)
    j_alexandra likes this.
  2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Awesome group class this weekend on cha cha hip actions, clarifying when to use a rotation, when it's just a lateral motion, and when you keep the hip neutral. Pretty excited to go apply it into my routine.
    Sania likes this.
  3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Lesson scheduled for August!! So excited :D
    Purr likes this.
  4. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

Enjoying my lessons for the first time in a long time. Recently switched from American style to International and not looking back. Working on developing competitions routines in 9 of 10 dances and have 6 down fairly solidly already. Pro made awesome comment last night that I am progressing more than three times faster than I was at old studio.

Can't wait for next lessons :)
  5. Dancing Irishman

Really good latin private today...delved deeper into some topics from group class (including replacing most lateral cha cha hip actions with a double rotation and when it's important to use lots of muscle tone to control an action vs where it's necessary to let your bone structure do its thing...both great and insightful topics). Also dove briefly into a new approach to rumba to make it more dynamic.

So excited to hit the practice floor with this stuff!!! And thankfully, I'm now in my new apartment with an almost always available racquetball court for practice!
  6. bowi

bowi New Member

Had another technique group class yesterday. We focussed on a proper frame yesterday. It's quite difficult to get it right, but I think I made some improvements.
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

First lesson in two weeks this afternoon......can't wait!!!
  8. Dancing Irishman

Two smooth routines down, two to go!!! Still have a lit of work to do on the tango but I'm feeling really good about how this is coming together for the comp!
  9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Do a search on "Glenn Weiss frame" if you are interested. He has a great video out on frame. It says "volume 1" of a series on technique, but as far as I know he didn't do any more. (And I hope somebody will correct me if I am wrong and there are more in the series.)
    bowi likes this.
  10. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Even though I've only been doing group classes at the new studio I'm learning so much. This week I've learned ankle technique for samba, how to use my legs better in rumba, and getting myself in proper, comfortable, natural standard frame. Lots of things to work on.
  11. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Great lesson today. Rumba was shaky (ugh), but we worked through that. Samba.....worked on some choreo and foot positions. Waltz was floaty, and covered a lot of floor...yay! But, Cha-Cha.....huge difference. I found a pop song I LOVE, and it's danceable for cha, so I bought it, put it on my Ipod, and have been goofing around with it for a week. DP was VERY happy with how much lighter and quicker the cha-cha was today. Go figure! :)
  12. bowi

bowi New Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

still need to let the tension drop....and still learning how to navigate one another... but got some good information on how to improve my spins and the open work is feeling good considering how new it is
  14. Dancing Irishman

Six hour dance intensive today on lead/follow (taught by my coach). Excited just seems too underwhelming to describe how I feel waiting for it to start.
    Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  15. fascination

lessons this wednesday night...really looking forward to them...and not having had such a long gap between lessons as last time...also may stay for a studio party...so that could be fun...and finally, it is occurring to me that the year is half over which means that I may not be so far from competing again...and I think that, by the time I am even able to consider it (probably March), I will hopefully be ready in terms of skill and mindset, to give it a try again
  16. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Active Member

Really great lately, mostly focusing on American and International Smooth, which I need the most work on. Also working on this goofy showcase Cha Cha I'm doing with my instructor in about a week, which should get quite a few smiles from everyone. It seems like everyone is doing some serious music for their showcase this time, and it's nice to be the goofball of the group.

Took the weekend off from the studio, as I need to let my batteries recharge.
  17. fascination

international smooth ?
  18. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Active Member

Derp. It made sense when I typed it. Standard..standard... standard. :wacky:
  19. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

LOL, I have a feeling I would love international smooth...
    Started open quickstep today. So far I am feeling good about starting open.
    Still, we are working on open routines to dance in one month at USDC and that's a little scary.
    This is not the best place to dance open for the first time, but just going to dive in anyway!

Pro was tough on me today as to the abilities I have that I was not using. I have decided I can take it and I much prefer the honest critique approach from the pro.
    fascination and MaggieMoves like this.
  20. fascination

this is the first usdc that I will have misses since 2007...it feels weird but I am really glad to be taking it off...nonetheless, I hope you enjoy it and get to epcot on your down time...also the spa in the dolphin is quite nice