how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Fasc, I doubt the skill was ever not ready for you :p

Dance intensive was so awesome....came away totally inspired to start experimenting with my partner in our practices!!!

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thanks

glad the dance intensive went well...

3. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

I've been out of town with DH and our kiddos for the past week, so tomorrow is my first lesson since the comp. It's not with the pro with whom I compete, but this pro was also there and I'm sure he'll have feedback and ideas on what needs to be addressed next. Excited!

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Showcase routines are more or less nailed down, which is a good thing since the showcase is Saturday. We managed to get in one good run on both routines. :D

5. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I was able to add back the "full" version of one component that had been modified due to my neck limitations. I keep testing out others, but the neck is still not ready for more. Somewhat encouraged, though.

nikkitta and cornutt like this.
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Lessons have been just this side of heaven the past couple of sessions. I had a comp, followed by a showcase a couple of weeks later, followed by a comp a couple of weeks after that. Now that all of that is behind me, I find I am really enjoying not having any urgency about my lessons. I like just being able to dance in my dance lessons, rather than obsess over details that I have no time to fix.

latingal likes this.
  7. Dancing Irishman

Started smooth viennese last night...I think I've found my new favorite dance style (previously slow waltz owned the honor). So fast, so tough, but when you nail it you may as well be floating!

In other news, I'm apparently good enough at faking choreo I just learned that lesson to impress the room full of onlookers that filtered in for a group class right at the end of my lesson when I got to run it with music for the first time (my mindset was pretty much "hold on for dear life and let your pro look good"...joys of being a pro am guy I suppose). Nice confidence booster right before a brutal ballet class.

8. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I started the lesson today a bit sluggish and stiff. I finished dripping with sweat, and totally exhilarated! Latin went well. We touched on Rumba, Cha, and Samba, then switched to Standard. We hadn't touched VW in a long time, so we tweeked the bejeebus out of it today. By the end, we were flying! *sigh* I love Viennese Waltz.

9. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Awesome... Open quickstep routine is finished and I can actually dance it... Well it is not a full blown open but is has enough of the open elements to compete in open level yet not feeling overwhelmed dancing open... Exciting time for me.

Sania, raindance and dancelvr like this.
  10. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I'm able to add back one shaping line in Paso that had been modified due to my neck limitations. Tested out a couple of other modifications to see if I can tolerate their removal, but, not yet. Still, I'm hoping that maybe I've finally turned a corner on this neck/head thing.

11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Really really fantastic lesson yesterday, working on Smooth waltz. Perfect combination of challenging material, high expectations, and letting me feel a little bit successful. :)

12. Dancing Irishman

Yesterday's lesson confirmed what I already knew. Silver smooth is insane, and my brain is going to hurt until this choreo becomes automatic...

13. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

OK...my coach seems a bit...disconnected...lately. Doesn't seem to have the same enthusiasm as in the beginning...not sure why. I have another lesson Friday, I'm going to be paying attention for how he is all throughout the lesson...see if this is becoming a pattern or just a once or twice "off" couple of days and/or starting to affect the level of coaching. I don't necessarily need him to be super enthusiastic although that's nice but I do need him to CARE about the lesson itself and correcting my technique as much as necessary.

14. Dancing Irishman

Everyone has bad days...hopefully nothing to worry about there!

15. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Got a compliment from my pro on my Vienniese waltz....used to be my worst dance....it has improved so much that he actually complimented me- and he never gives compliments....I felt like I was walking on air when I left the studio....all in all, a good day

GinaN likes this.
  16. fascination

agree that everyone has bad days...that being said; everyone doesn't get paid 100 bucks an hour...and it is still a person's job, if they are in customer service, to leave their crap at the door and be enthusiastic...I would let an occasional bad day go...particularly if you are still getting competant/excellent instruction...but if the teaching becomes lax/unprepared and/or it is more like something that happens a couple of times every couple of months, I would begin to re-think my choice...

17. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

Congrats!

18. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

Hopefully not...but it has been more than one time...I'm just keeping my eyes open...

Agree...

You bring me to ask, since I don't have a lot of experience (and please if there are other threads answering this very question please let me know - I *have* been making my way through all the "sticky" threads) - what makes a lesson "prepared"? And how prepared is a good lesson? I'd love to hear some examples.

19. fascination

he knows your goals, he has a plan for what he is going to teach you that day....it isn't just some sort of random, let's start dancing sort of thing....he has technical things for you to work on...he remembers or writes down stuff so or knows where you left off...

GinaN likes this.
  20. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

Thanks Fascination.