how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Got some new footwork technique to work on today in Latin. And, we hit Slow Fox hard enough to finally kill my last pair of practice shoes. Gonna have to break out a new pair of court shoes next week. Thank goodness I have two new pairs in my closet.....whew.

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Frustrating.

We're upping the difficulty level in all of my dances (and by a LOT in QS), and are trying to get them to a presentable state for the next competition - in 5 weeks. Given that we are trying to do this with only a little under 3 months between comps (of which pro was and will be away for about a month, cumulative), the stress level is high. I'm happy that we are pushing foward, but there may be some snapiness coming from both sides during lessons lately.

Yesterday's bone of contention - needing to come off the plan to dance all 5 at the next comp, whether we do 4 or 3 at said comp, and why we never seem to be able to put together the whole plan for comps... meaning that this is the second time, in a row, that we have had the intention to dance 5 dances and failed to deliver on that. That last part of the conversation entailed some throwing out of thoughtless remarks by both of us, and will need to be revisited.
    (Edited to add that when I read this ^^, I realize that the discussions we have are, with increasing frequency, sounding like a relationship/partnership. Last year, for example, I wouldn't have dared to question the plan, and pro wouldn't have dared to throw a snarky comment my way. How far we have come...)

Yesterday's funny moment - when I realized that we were in a modified practice hold (with body contact, but with more space in the top line due to not having the arms and hands in the standard place), standing in the middle of the floor, looking at each other, and having a conversation - complete with hand gestures - without breaking apart. I can only imagine how that looked!

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Rounds! Not too bad, was happy with meeting my goal of being more contained with my energy and maintaining good posture and poise.

4. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I am in the same place you are Fancyfeet, except 3 weeks until comp...
    In under a month we have put together open routines, last night was tango, so we have waltz QS and tango.

I am feeling I cannot learn another routine at this point, and need to start running through the 3 we have.
    The disagreement may come as I think that our gold foxtrot and VW is OK for open, while he will want to move onto Foxtrot. I was fine until last night when I felt an overload of information.

For me it is not frustration because I think a lot was accomplished in a short period of time. My feeling is nervousness even while just driving to my lesson, not a good place to be at this point.

5. FancyFeet

Jana, I hear you. I simply cannot learn and polish another one with the few lessons I have left pre-comp and pro's impending absence (again), so tango will not be making an appearance at the next one. I'm on the fence about VW - it's fine, but I'm kind of wondering what the point of dancing it would be, and whether it is worth the $$$.

And I may have flipped out a little this week, and declared that we needed to settle on that last FT wall, and stop changing it every week, so that I can have a chance to learn it and practice it. (We did.) Learning all new routines, all at the same time, with a competition deadline looming makes me crazy. Every time... and yet, we do it every time! The nerves from new routines and the sheer amount of info I'm cramming into my brain/muscles are my permanent state of being lately.

My dream is to someday compete the same routine twice... just one of them. (Pro says that to do that, I need to stop getting better so quickly :confused:)

6. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

My neck has loosened up to the point where, even if it can't yet help me with the use of my head, at least it is no longer completely impeding the use of my head. Still not ready to un-modify more spots in my choreography, but I think there is now hope that one day I'll get back to full-blown versions. My Pro is being very patient about it.

raindance likes this.
  7. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Not technically a lesson, but coach and I had a great chat over email on how to structure my solo practices to maximize my technique growth and how to transition into comp oriented practice (competition in about 6 weeks...I may be a little nervous).

8. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Active Member

Not the best. Came down with some sort of cold this weekend with a small fever. Tried to attend a social Saturday night because my friend was baiting me to go, now I feel worse. :(

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

finally...lessons...just good to be dancing...pro was a big banged up but he was a trooper....worked connection and enhanced a few moves...all good

stash, j_alexandra, Purr and 2 others like this.
  10. latingal

Rounds...not bad at all, happy with the progress no matter what happens on the comp floor!

stash likes this.
  11. Dancing Irishman

Always an awesome spot to be! Hopefully I'll have the same sentiment in a couple weeks when I'm closer to comp time!

latingal likes this.
  12. FancyFeet

Two good ones in a row, last week and today... colour me shocked.

With everything that I have going on this week (see life is hard thread for context), and the little I have slept and eaten over the last three days, combined with rather significant muscle tension and soreness, well, I expected today to be a disaster. Instead it was really good... one of the better lessons that I have had. Well, except for standing spins, which were just were not happening today. After the level of dizziness experienced following the first one we attempted, I put an embargo on them for the lesson; pro agreed to give them a day-long pass as they are normally no problem and I have never asked for a pass on them (or anything, really) before. We danced my routines with just once around in standing spins for this lesson. And the new QS was almost unrecognizably improved... I may no longer be completely paralyzed with fear at the thought of dancing it in front of people - dance people! - at comp next month.

Could this be the glimmer of light at the end of the dance-funk tunnel?

nikkitta likes this.
  13. latingal

More rounds.....about to fall over and put the white flag up. LOL!

Seriously, rounds weren't too bad. Physically I'm almost there, need to start attending to some of the last minute details and the mental aspects.

Ahhh, who am I kidding, this year I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants. ;)

FancyFeet likes this.
  14. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Got a two-fer today. Lesson with DP, and some fantastic critique and corrections from his partner! (These were solicited by me, as she was in town.) Oh my.....what a difference! By the end of the lesson, waltz was more balanced through rotation, and we were covering so much floor, we ran out of space! Color me happy! :D

Sania and Purr like this.
  15. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Worked quite a bit on Viennese Waltz because my edge just kept slipping off his edge halfway through our pivots; but at least the fleckerls are getting more rotation in them. We switched to Latin in the second hour, and it wasn't until I got tired at the very end of the lesson that my knees finally softened enough to let me get through a series of curls and spirals in a balanced manner.

16. Dancing Irishman

Smooth lesson last night was light on dancing but heavy on information. I think I now have a plan for how to build up my fundamentals more strongly in the style so that someday it'll be as strong as latin...

17. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

My teacher was gone this week and will be gone for a couple of weeks in September (combination of time off and competitions). I took some lessons with the woman co-owner of the studio and they were terrific. She was working on my frame, connection, and a few other details. A lot of what she said I had heard before, but it's hard stuff to execute and the concentrated work on it helped. She also explained a few concepts a little differently and added some new ideas/corrections. Never thought I would say it, but I am excited that my teacher will be gone some more in September; I already have lessons with her set up.

Sania likes this.
  18. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

OMG, I'm so excited. Going to have some lessons with a former latin world champ while I am in Europe. She is free most of a day, so we are going to work until my feet and brain are fried. Have been working on open chore w Pro lately so I am SO ready for a world champ woman's perspective.

Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I feel like I've been doing a lot of grousing lately, so I wanted to note that I had a lovely lesson this weekend. I have my complete revised tango now, and it's got lots of fun new toys, including my first oversway. I will get a decent picture of me taken at my next comp.

Sania and FancyFeet like this.
  20. Dancing Irishman

Totally forgot that more picture lines increases the odds of getting a good picture! Hopefully I get a good one at this comp, my silver smooth routines feel chock full of them.