how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Last night, in reverse order:
    * Mambo technique/styling class
    * Lesson with alternate partner
    * Rounds with alternate-alternate partner

2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Solid lesson tonight (par for the course recently, but that's been a high bar, so not actually a bad thing). Went through the finer points of leading some of the transitions in the Viennese Waltz routine for the upcoming comp, and got the reassurance that if I don't actually have them down my teacher will still go where she's supposed to during the actual comp rounds. Also chopped out snippets of Tango choreography because our routine was actually several 8-counts longer than a normal comp round and teach really wants to get to some of the movements right at the end (specifically envelopes while walking in shadow). Also another lesson where my teacher (an actively competing smooth pro) broke a sweat worth noting, so definitely got some reassurance that my choreo is by no means easy.

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Lesson with pro's partner last night (she had a late cancellation, I took the spot). It was better than expected, and verging on quite good - she really did listen to what pro has spoken to her about and made some significant adjustments. We focussed on exactly what I was sent to her to work on, and she changed a couple of the things that made earlier lessons with her feel like a waste. I think my being a little more assertive than previous about what I needed to work on, when I didn't understand, and when I needed to repeat or hold something to really get it also helped contribute to a productive lesson.

I loved that she threw a lot at me... I tend to feel that she is not challenging me enough when we work together, but did not get that impression last night. I'm estimating that I may have only retained about 80% of what we went through, even with notes... but I have the okay from her to seek out periodic reminders or check-ins as I practice over the next week or so.

We worked on posture, body positioning and styling, for my entire waltz. Some good stuff in there that will help with the few rough spots I have been struggling with in the routine, and lots of good general stuff that will help with all my swing dances. And continuing with this month's corrections theme from pro, I am apparently in the joyous phase where I have worked on some earlier corrections so much that they are now over-applied, and I need to ease off a little bit.

4. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

It is on rare occasion that I get upset over a lesson.... but this was one of thoes times. I am sure I made a few BIG judgement mistakes...

In under a months time we are turning my gold routines into open so I can dance at USDC... Usually my work schedule will not allow me to go to this comp but ths year is different... Mistake one, should of just passed until the routines were ready.... So now there is not enough time left and I am too financially heavily invested to walk away. Then, it gets worse.... a top coach visits our studio now and then and so I took advantage of him last night with a double lesson.... The routines were no way ready for a coaching session, one routine we have only danced thru once... I should of not spend the big bucks for this coach when I did not even know the routine... I was pretty upset and well felt embarrased over my dancing... When I got home from the lesson it would of not taken much to just sit down and cry!!

I am not sure what to do... I may suggest we take the 2 routines not ready and dance the gold routines since my expectation is not to get past a quarter even with the open routines... I am so not happy right now and I wish I did not feel like this.... I should be excited and happy.... Well at least I have an awesome gown for this comp!!

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

1) don't blow usdc out of proportion...
    2) I have won open gold smooth at comps as big as heritage with closed silver routines, and placed 2nd in rising star smooth at usdc with simpler choreo than many...if you aren't comfortable with the newer choreo do your older stuff well...and enjoy it...thejudges are in a hurry...they aren't going to look long...let them see you clean and confident
    3) yep, it probably is a mistake to get coaching that close to a major comp...it is very hard to get those corrections in...and particularly if you don't know the person....breathe deeply, get a good night's sleep and get some perspective on it...you will be fine....hug
    4) you can be miserable for free, you owe it to yourself to enjoy it...you live and you learn

6. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

My lessons this week were solid- everything seems on track for my next comp....I feel I am in the right spot- not overly confident, but excited to bring what I have been practising and learning and just having a good time and doing the best that I can. I am signed up for 130 heats which is more than I've ever done, but I am not feeling stressed. I have been training my body and I am confident I can hold up....now if I could get the pre comp nightmares to just stop

7. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

130 HEATS....OMG
    Hope it is over a few days...

8. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking! My am partner and I are doing 13 and we were debating cutting that down...granted we're both doing one style of pro/am on the same day as well.

9. sbrnsmith

Three days....I am so excited...

10. sbrnsmith

I am doing 3 styles- and I know I am pushing it, but it gives me an adrenaline rush....last time I did 100 heats, I remember getting back to my hotel room late at night, going to the lobby for the 24 hour restaurant bar and eating a piece of pepperoni pizza which tasted like heaven after spending all day on my feet, then washing off all the make up, hair gel stuff, getting a text from my pro at midnite saying I danced well, and almost feeling too exhilarated to sleep....no other feeling quite like it

11. sbrnsmith

Hugs...you will be fine...enjoy the gown, and your dancing...

12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I would pick quality over content, so if you do your closed gold routines well, but your open is shaky and USDC is next week...then perhaps closed would be better? What does your pro think?

fascination likes this.
  13. fascination

gotta say...130 never bothered me though I danced 4 styles and that was usually over more than 2 days...I was okay as long as we didn't get to 200 and it was 4 days....particularly if it was a big comp with callbacks...at a certain point the feet give out even if the cardio vascular system doesn't...and I have bled all over a floor...having said that....I now feel that 3-4 sets and a scholarship or two per style is plenty...which is good because the new pro isn't out to bag any top teacher coin...kind of looking forward to having some down time at a comp....can't imagine it

Dancing Irishman and MaggieMoves like this.
  14. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Active Member

I never thought 130 was that crazy. 200+ is just nuts. Your feet just want to quit at one point... and when it reaches that it's more an exercise in endurance than talent.

To be honest, I've done 3 hours in a row with my dance pro before and we've completely wiped each other out more than any competition. Put two competitive people in the same room that don't know when to call it quits, and it just seems to happen naturally. I seem to always ask myself, "Who's sweat is that?"

15. fascination

well, that's my thing...I am in a regular habit of multiple hours of dance or workout, but, when you add a 3 inch heel, somethings just have a limit....generally speaking as long as I don't stop I am fine, but again, by the third day the battle scars to the feet become significant challenges...I think I still have a bottle of liquid skin rolling around in the bottom of my dance bag

16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I really can't imagine the benefit of that many heats..except for the pro making top teacher.

Ideally, I like 3 rounds of single dances, a champ round and a scholarship round and that is plenty for me!

17. fascination

well that's 25....if you do 4 styles you are already at 100 plus or minus a few....but yes, I agree...I like to dance as much as I can afford and as much as my body can do well, because I'm crazy physical like that, but I think the quality begins to drop after 5 rounds...at least for me...course, I don't even warm up til the third.....am usually a bat out of hell on the first one

18. sbrnsmith

Just to clarify, this is nothing to do with top teacher, student or anything.... We cut it down from 200 heats. I like to push it and challenge myself physically and mentally. At this point, I have the budget for it. It's over 3 days and 3 styles. At some point I will feel satisfied with less. For now, I feel upto the challenge, the preparation is exciting and I have been training my body to be able to handle it. I'm not saying that in my next comp after this, I will want to do that much. For right now, it feels right at this point in my dance journey. Also, I have 3 awesome dresses to wear. What better reason is there!

ocean-daughter likes this.
  19. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Receiving totally contradicting information from two coaches, BOTH of who KNOW what they're doing. My takeaway is that one is wrong, but that doesn't make them wrong about everything- they're awesome- but this is where I disagree. However- when in Rome, I'll do as the Romans do.

Really frustrated that I just CANNOT get exactly right, exactly the way coach wants it, my head position in standard. I should know this. This should be easy. I can fake it just fine, but doing it right just frankly hurts and is difficult, so I've tried extra hard and forced myself into the position, but just can't hold it.

But hey, this is why I teach at garages, churches, gyms, and colleges, and not in Tokyo or LA. You get what you pay for.

20. Cal

Cal Active Member

I realize that it's a competition, you're spending a lot of time and money to attend, and you want to dance well. I get that. And if you're really dancing to make the judges happy, and for good marks and placements, there's nothing wrong with that, but then skip over this post - because I sure as heck am not the person who can give you good advice about that. But if you want a slightly different perspective, then maybe I've got a couple of ideas.

If you are dancing to make YOU happy, then figure out what actually makes you happy. Are you the kind of person who gets the most pleasure out of the serenity that comes with the familiar? Or are you a person who most enjoys the excitement of trying the unfamiliar and seeing what happens? If you knew that this was going to be the last time you'd be able to dance, which way would you dance? Would you want calmness and serenity that might come with your closed routines, or the woo-hoo!-what-a-ride-that-was-! of your open routines? There's no right or wrong answer to that - it's just figuring out what would give YOU the most joy out of dancing.

I hope you have a good time at USDC!

FancyFeet, raindance and Hedwaite like this.