how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

And then you'll keep revisiting the concept over and over in lessons...and adding onto it...
  2. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

ED,

You are so correct and one thing that I find very interesting is that some of the steps are the same in so many different dances and the difference been the timing.

I have found myself and DW doing more and more technical part of the dance.
  3. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Hey Sam,

I was on that situation last Saturday but the dance was Mambo. It was one of those lesson when you begin and you stop for a break and then you look at the clock an is 2 hours later. The nice thing about it is now all that body movement kind of resembles a Mambo and not like I have electricity running all over me. :bouncy:
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Istn't that the greatest discovery? And then its also true for the technique. At least in W,VW,FT and QS the technique is virtually entirely transferrable. That cn the effect of making the lessons way more efficient if you try to apply what you have learned to all the other dances too and let the coach then point out where a particular action does not apply rather than where it does.

Now Tango.... really should this be a standard dance? It is so different. While some general technical aspects transfer (steps do of course) you will get into a lot of trouble if you use the same approach as above.
  5. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Ed,

Every time my teacher begin a sentence with "You dance this step before" and I must have this look in my face that you are kidding aren't you? so then he will show me the step in a different dance and he will say this is the difference between the steps.

After that for some reason that little light bulb will go on :idea:. That is one thing that I love about dancing the ability that we have to make our body adjust to perform the same steps in other dances.

I guess that is why I keep going back for more. I must be addicted to dancing...
  6. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Last night in a silver waltz class we discussed the difference between leg rise and foot rise, really helped with traveling twinkles. Also went over how to throw hips up and over for reverse turns, something I need to work on.
  7. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

But, it's so much fun, isn't it... :wink:
  8. LucyDiamond

It IS amazing and loads of fun, as you say. My pro and I started a new routine 2 lessons ago and with just few exceptions, I already know it. LOVE IT!!! :banana:
  9. LucyDiamond

That's the hard part, sam. :wink:
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

electricity is a good thing... :cool:
  11. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Yes it is. I want more of it....
  12. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

The kind of electricity I am referring to is the one that makes you look like a high tech robot that is having a nervous break-down. Now the one you are referring to is the kind that keeps me going back for more dancing.
  13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

:D that would be me dancing after 4 cups of coffee
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

meh... at least your circuits are firing... ;)
  15. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

So Luce, when is the FADS comp in LV? Few months ago that comp was on our radar, before all changed!... If there is enough time we may try to do it. I think it is in April???

While on a wonderful cruise to Hawaii I out of nowhere had a life threating situation happen to me, and I ended up airlifted to a Mexican hospital for emergency surgery, six weeks later I am still recovering. Since the operation required an incinsion down my whole center and abs I have no center muscles at all to speak of, and have not danced since early November.... Still it looks like in maybe 3 of 4 weeks I will be able to give dancing a try again, so LV is kind of a goal and forward looking motivation for me. USADance Nationals is out of the question, now.

Ya know by the way, one uses thier ab muscles to hold one up to walk and do all these normal things you dont normally even think of, so I instead was using my back muscles to get moving again.... The surgeon here at home could not beleive that I was able to walk again so quickly and wanted to know how I acquired such strength and flexibility in my back to do this. LOL...I attribute it to all that backwards dancing I do in International Standard.... Who would of thought!!

Maybe we will see you there!
  16. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

April 16-20 Looks like I'll be there... (perhaps we need to bud off a new thread)
  17. LucyDiamond

Yup, April 16-20!
  18. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

OMG, JAN! That sounds like quite an ordeal. Glad to hear you're mending and will be back on the dance floor soon!
  19. LucyDiamond

OMG, JAN, I just read your entire message! I also am glad you are on the mend and will be back on the dancefloor soon! Take care!
  20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Jan - I suppose we should say you were very lucky - but what a sweet/sour stroke of luck. Very glad you came out so well and hats off to you :notworth: and your courage/determination to get back to dance. :cheers: