How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Okay, long practice today; cha-cha, samba, jive, waltz, foxtrot and quickstep. My feet hurt.

Cha-cha; correct alignment of hip/leg of the pushing leg, dynamic accents on 1 and 3. Felt like I made some progress!

Samba; working one difficult pass at speed, can't seem to get it to work yet.

Jive; timing, posture, and muscular tension corrections slowly becoming habit. Am happy with the progress on the basics, not yet applied all the way through out.

Waltz; swing and choreography. Felt pretty good, put on some great music and just went for it.

Foxtrot; not a great day in foxtrot. Worked some technique but just wasn't feeling it today. Tomorrow is another day!

Quickstep; memorizing choreography.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

so looking forward to warmer weather....the old bod just feels so creaky in the winter...think I am getting a better result on when to let the hip shift to the front and on using my back and having it be less robotic...still fighting the bab habit ot crossing my own tracks on forward walks....

cha is looking better as far as lifting the knee and in having a nice punch on the 1...closing fan doesn't look as idiotic either...

worked better movement of center agan in standard and smooth...better use of hips....and worked the new choreo...happy dance

3. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Christmas tree is finally gone and practice space has been reclaimed!

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

My tree this year ws tiny - Linus would have laughed - and I am toyoing (;)) with keeping it once the decorations are off...

5. tanya_the_dancer

Ours was a real thing, so after about a month or so, it was shedding like crazy.

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

mine is real too - and still has all its needles so I can't bring myself to throw it out... maybe in June ...

Oops this is the practise thread ... mmm can't for the life of me think of a link between this tree and practise..

Also worked on tango today - trying to consolidate all the changes we made in the routine before next weekends comp..
    (best i could do.. :roll: )

7. QPO

QPO New Member

we are still working on our waltz for our first comp this year and are waiting to hear what dances will be done this year for New Vogue, before we can get started on those.

8. latingal

Worked rumba, cha-cha, and jive today. Still experimenting and playing with how much muscular tone is needed in different parts of the body to have good speed, action, alignment and line.

Something tells me this is a long term project.

9. QPO

QPO New Member

tonight we have found a local social dance, so we will go and use that as a practice as our current school is still on a break.

10. Rugby

Rugby Member

Keep it and next year you will have a bigger one. Or at least foster it until you find a forever home.

11. latingal

Foxtrot, tango, rumba and cha-cha today. Really enjoyed working with a partner today, it doesn't happen often for me as a pro-ammer with no (willing/regular *grin*) practice partner. So nice to work on connection for a change. Wish I could do more!

12. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Working on basic Rumba action and some news waltz steps. I need to see the pattern on paper to be able to 'understand' it.

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

trying to consolidate changes in our AM routines - comp coming up this weekend...

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Two practices yesterday. First pracctice went great. Was reviewing my showcase, to tweak it, and use it to work basic tango technique (as my tango technique is definitely lacking in the showcase). After work, went back again to work on some chacha. Horrible practice. Notonly could I not do the things introduced in my last lesson, I couldn't even do things right that I had learned a year ago. Such a frustrating practice I ended up leaving early, when I had originally planned to actually stay late. C'est la vie.

15. fascination

well considering that for the forseeable future they will be practicing pivots and the evil samba...I reckon I won't be discussing my practices....

16. fascination

OTOH...it is always good to know when you aren't in the right frame of mind to continue

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

well, you could move them to the whining thread :p ;)

18. tanya_the_dancer

I started keeping a practice "diary". Nothing major, I just write down what I practiced (i.e. heel turns) so that I can keep everything covered. Anyone else doing this?

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I diary my practices in with my lesson notes, etc. Keep one set of notes organized by dance (and then broken down into step). Then also have a notebook where I break it down by day, and take notes on lessons, practices, etc.

I find the first set useful to read over before I start work on a dance, and second set useful to look back at what I practiced, refer back to something that pro might have said in a specific lesson, etc.

20. fascination

I rather think that my woes involving practicing difficult concepts given by a wonderful pro to practice on my own 950 sq foot floating floor in my own home would fall on rather unsympathic ears...and justifiably so...