How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. naomi

naomi New Member

Thanks!

Thanks!
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

practices the last couple of days have been mixed. while I thought I was on the up-trend on getting muscle memory to be re-programmed to retain some new information, observation of my own dancing the last couple of days seems to indicate more work is needed. *sigh* going on three months of re-programming....not excited that it's not in yet.....
  3. naomi

naomi New Member

Sometime I struggle with impatience, too. If I remember all the progress I've made over time, I remember that I had prior frustrations, too. Given I progressed despite (or maybe even because of) those frustrations, I can relax a bit and know I'll get past my current frustration, too.

To think of it another way. Frustration reminds me that

1. I'm close to learning something new.
    2. I need to be flexible in my expectations regarding execution, my expectations as how quickly I can learn, and my actual approach to that which I'm trying to learn.

Does this make sense? Let me know if it helps at all.
  4. latingal

LOL...I am definitely no stranger to the frustration and the patience required in the process. *grin*

And thanks for your post naomi....
  5. naomi

naomi New Member

I apologize. I never meant to imply any lack of knowledge. I only meant to help if I could. For me, anyway, sometimes knowing patience is required is still insufficient to overcome the frustration.
  6. latingal

No worries naomi, definitely no offense taken and no need to apologize.

I was more amused at the fact that I came off as frustrated as a newbie in my post to need that type of reminder....we all have to laugh at ourselves once in a while. LOL.
  7. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I really like the phrase that fascination used to have in her signature line:

Frustration is progress in incubation.
  8. naomi

naomi New Member

Thanks!
  9. latingal

good practice today. worked on dynamics, turns, and use of the legs and feet. am very happy with what I was seeing/feeling today!
  10. latingal

all about feet and legs yesterday!!
  11. latingal

partnered practice was good....got a chance to see how the work on the feet and legs would hold up with a partner, so far, so good!
  12. latingal

applying better foot/leg action to more difficult parts of routines....
  13. latingal

turns; doing 'em, landing 'em, moving out of 'em...and unfortunately falling out of 'em...
  14. latingal

need to go back to review corrections from before the last slew of them....seems to have fallen off a bit. it's never ending....
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

This is a time when practice has more to do with emotions than with dancing. It used to be easier but it's harder all with things going on in my life.That's life: ups and downs.
  16. mikeylikesit

mikeylikesit New Member

Practices are not going well due to a recurring injury. After 1/2 hour of practice my left big toe swells and becomes painful. Very frustrated! : (
  17. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

frustration and anger is what I feel with my recurring herniated disc too.
  18. latingal

practice today....great!! worked on a making a mental adjustment in how I approach some of the technique I'm using, and it seemed to help!
  19. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Up until now our waltz routine has been just a bunch of segments or groups of patterns. At our lesson last Monday we put the first 64 measures together. Friday night we worked on getting DH to remember the sequence .... but it wasn't until tonight that we managed to do a complete run-through with everything in the right order. At our lesson tomorrow night we hope to finish arranging the sequence for the remaining 29 measures of music (yes, there's one extra measure trailing out at the end of the piece). I'm so lookng forward to having it done so we can start polishing it ... and there's a lot of polishing to do before it's ready for an audience ....
  20. anametuer

anametuer Member

Maypole, samba walks etc. practiced a lot, working well.