How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

:bouncy: It's going to be an awesome performance!

2. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

DH thinks our audience will love it, no matter what we do. He may be right, but I'd like to make it as good a performance as we can.

Not much time left ... one practice tomorrow night at home to set the full choreography in memory, two extra lessons on Saturday to fix the big problems, "dress rehearsal" at our lesson on Monday (to see how my heavy skirt changes the dynamics and to get a video for us to understand where we need to project more), no practice the following Wednesday due to a meeting :(, one more regular lesson, and then ... (We may have to slip another lesson or two in there if it's at all possible, but there may not be time considering everything else on the to do lists ...)

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Reviewing key points of all the new information on all latin dances, trying to ease them into muscle memory. Watching alot of good examples on youtube as well.

4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Practice are pretty chill right now. My partner and my body is super sore from Bam Jam this weekend so we've been taking it easy and just working on wsc with other people in the club. But I think tomorrow we are kicking it back up.

5. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

We are trying to improve and get better right now. Unfortunately we don't see eye to eye occasionally during our latin practices because we take them so seriously. And our smooth practices are fun and chill, and sometimes we don't see eye to eye as well, but every fantastic partnership will have its own problems. But we still work hard and we are trying to improve and figure out what feels good and what doesn't.

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Started a latin pattern for a studio special event. WOW, I forgot how much fun this discipline is. Overjoyed!

7. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Yikes, after this past weekend, I'm a bit discouraged. Practices are all over the place, my mind races all the time, and I just can't focus. I hope a lesson or two will fix this funk!

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

practice yesterday was awesome....

3 hours of solo practice in rumba, paso and samba. working control between feet, physical cycles in the dancing, and paying attention to flexibility in the upper torso.

9. latingal

back to the grindstone, group class consisted of speed/technique drills and it pointed out I need more repetitions of energy building and release....

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

managed to get some practice in...nice to feel motivated to do so again....worked some new concepts regarding spirals....also worked some tango technique as well as promenade positioning

11. fascination

anothr practic today...gold rumba, paso and jive (gee, the "E" key is sticking)

anyhow, worked technique, but also, given the break I have taken, I wanted to make sure I remembered the choreo....just in case :)

also worked some of the gold std and open smooth as well

12. latingal

good to hear you're back on the practice floor fasc!!

practices for me yesterday were good. so many concepts to keep track of, floating around in my head. it seems I just need time to get them all to work together.

worked opposition, relaxation, pendular swing, upper torso, correctly timing the feet and boundries. dynamics was the side benefit....

oooh, my head hurts....

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow! How long was that lesson? Looks like you covered everything under the sun.

14. latingal

LOL....that was a three hour practice....

15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

All by yourself? Wow! The best I have ever done was 1 hour and a quarter! Good for you! My oh My! and thanks for sharing!

16. chomsky

I just saw this!

17. latingal

Hi chomsky! As you can see by my history on this thread, I tend to practice a lot. LOL!

Unfortunately I skipped practice today, I'm trying to fend off the flu!

18. chomsky

you are the one that hold my hand when I first started practicing last August, remember? how could you do otherwise then! You are the raw model for everyone here when it comes to practicing!!!and I'm sure no one will disagree with what I say!!!

19. latingal

practices this last week have been productive. there are just too many things I want to get in body memory before going out on the floor again. all I can do is my best, keep working hard and smart!

this week's focus - samba and rumba.

20. fascination

today; the monitoring of my arms in rumba, some trouble spots I am having at speed in jive and cha...and a few new tweakings in samba...then a review of the open smooth, just to make sure I actually remember all of it...and some work on tecnical issues involving foot rise, develope and a variety of other issues