How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. anametuer

anametuer Member

As far as studio practices are concerned, it takes wherever it goes, Cha cha , Rumba, but the comfort level increased. Samba was more of a learning experience.

Solo practices of last exam routines found to be a good alternative at the moment and it takes a measure of doing.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

finished the latin and rhythm portion of my practice...wonder when I will ever be able to do 100 spirals in a row that don't stink...or just 10 in a row that are exceptional...nevermind

more work on how to stop doing weird things with my arms...I thought they were attached to my core...hmmm...

basically went though all dances but not to speed...and that is a problem ...I can do it to spped...just not at the level I would like
  3. fascination

just got in a half hour of waltz and foxtrot...gonna get some rest and consider tango
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

trying to get routines in shape to start rounds....doing large chunks of my new routines solo. also trying to make sure corrections are maintained in the routines....I'm exhausted.
  5. latingal

was not expecting to be revisiting technique for the next couple of weeks, but it looks like I'll have to cram that in to my practices along with getting the routines in shape.
  6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Went over my last comp DVD... focused on problematic areas in chacha and samba and reviewed material from last coaching.
  7. frotes

frotes Member

Lots of technique practicing, currently reworking my Cha Cha.

Finally figured out the tightening of the core thing to join my upper and lower body. It was one of those moments, the second one I've had so far in dancing
  8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I feel like my stupid bunions are always my rate-limiting factor. I'm working on all sorts of technique (like everything HAHA everything needs work!) but one of my main concerns for an upcoming competition (first one) is really just my "shoe-stamina". Sometimes it feels like it affects technique directly. Like dancing on the inside edges of my feet *hurt*. It's frustrating as heck... maybe i can just dance in my running shoes. LOL. But anyway, i'm just trying to put in shoe-time really LOL!
  9. latingal

Miss Silly, I so hear you on being limited by my feet on practice time!

I try to work for as long as possible in heels, mostly doing technique and routine run throughs, and then switch down to lower heels and flats to do memorization of choreography, work on precise timings, and body memory work. But my feet are definitely the limiting factor!!

As for me this last week, working on corrections from coachings/lessons. It's going well, the topics are things I've worked on before but need a brush up.
  10. frotes

frotes Member

There needs to be more hours in a day/week so I can practice more :(

Time to start going in on the weekends more, 15 hours of studio time a week and I want morrrrrre.
  11. latingal

practice today went well....spent some time in "discovery" mode on recent corrections from lessons. I was very pleased with what I found out and think that once I get it in the body, it will improve the look of the dancing quite nicely!
  12. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

way to go!!! way to go!!!
  13. fascination

thusfar today I have only done latin and some rhythm...some of it mindless (which I try to never do) but today it was mindless or not at all...also looked at some corrections to my caping (paso) in terms of alignment and weight distribution as well as musicality...then a look at some leg action in samba...standard and smooth is going to have to occur after nap...maybe even after jacuzzi...I have a mountain of work this weekend prepping for the arrival of THE ADORABLE ONE in less than two weeks and there will be throngs of people descending upon our house (standing in line for their two minute interval with HIMSELF :))...anyhow...I digress (did I mention that we put up the crib and I bought a musical sea horse?)...various new concepts in open smooth waltz and standard gold waltz need to make it into the hard drive...and then some work on basics regarding promenade position, foot rise, continuous motion, etc.....not to mention some work on open tango involving turning from the standing leg, and "body first" work....etc...nap now though...gotta happen
  14. latingal

fasc, hey any practice - focused or fuzzy - with the immanent arrival of the ADORABLE ONE is admirable! *grin* If I were there, I would be one of those standing in line for a two minute interval missing my practice. Hope you get to enjoy all your time with him!

Have a good nap and continued practice!
  15. chomsky

It's been a month since my last practice...sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh...my practices aren't going!!!
  16. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Productive practice today. The new tango stuff is feeling more plausible than it was before. We got a little snippy with each other, unfortunately, but nothing major. New stuff can do that.
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

actually had a latin practice today...rumba, all fundamentals: walks, cucarachas, turns, alemanas. felt great.
  18. chomsky

bravo as we say in Greek!!!:rocker:
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

euxaristo, koukla. :)
  20. chomsky

:kissme: