How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

second half of practice; worked open smooth, mostly shapes and rondes and spins, but also elements of movement and pivots also worked some musicality in waltz in both smooth and standard

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hey sam, are you dancing latin again? Woohoo!

3. latingal

practice today....pretty good. worked again on recent corrections that are going to have to go in fast if they want to show up on the floor in comps in the next couple of months. sometimes I feel like I'm holding it together with masking tape, string and elmers glue. *sigh*

other than that....everything's just peachy....LOL!

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

just at home, LG. but woohoo all the same. :)

today: started working on learning a rumba routine. there's a nice basic one posted on YT of franco & oxana.

reflecting back on when i started out with latin, how unstable & ungrounded i was...blow in my direction and i'd fall off balance. even when i was taking lessons & competing...problems with my obliques & sacrum affected everything and caused me so much frustration.

such a different experience, now. but challenging in new ways.

5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Trying to incorporate recent coachings into my movements. I find that I can understand during the coaching, and even demonstrate, and then I try to find that movement again later on, and I am thinking... hmmm, what was that again? I try to either take notes or iphone video the key points.

6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Haven't practiced in 2.5 weeks and now DP is sick and not going to be able to practice for another week. :(

7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I might steel your shoe-plan LOL. I would rather sometimes practice in those really flat practice shoes, but then i worry that i'm not building my "shoe stamina". :headwall: But if it gets to the point where i have to stop practicing all together cause my bunions hurt, then i guess it makes sense to just switch shoes!! HAhah ;-P

8. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

First practice in an embarassingly long time, thanks to a crazy-busy schedule...surprised myself by how much better everything feels these days. I guess that feeling like everything is finally clicking in lessons and on the comp floor must actually have some truth to it, because after a break from practice I'm noticing improvement. Guess I just needed a break!

9. latingal

I'm really enjoying my practices right now. The technique is coming together; I love working on the total picture I'm trying to bring forth; and the dancing is feeling strong!

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Actually remembered more than I thought I would from my recent coaching, will review again to make sure.

11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

hot as hades... Thank you summer practice space for having no air conditioning.... But otherwise they aren't going bad for not practicing for two weeks

12. latingal

good practice yesterday....progress on samba and cha-cha routines, worked a lot on working out issues in rumba choreography. paso and jive....haven't gotten to those yet, will be hitting them hard next week!

13. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I practiced for 10 minutes! there was almost no pain! nor physical nor emotional! I am really happy!!!

14. latingal

great to hear chomsky....I hope you can keep it up!

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I am having to divide practice up into sections... basics with new coaching input, apply these basics to silver latin, start to learn figures in closed gold, and then add a little rhythm in there too! This should keep me very busy!

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good rumba practice - worked on new routine, focusing on timing & sensation; put off completing the routine for another day. also some jive, cha & samba basics (lots of samba).

waltz. and more waltz. and then some more. and wrapped up with salsa, with various speeds & timings.

17. kckc

kckc Active Member

DP is calling me Spinderella these days. I'm quite pleased- all of a sudden things that weren't working before have fallen into place and I just...do them. Must keep this up...must keep this up...

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

worked my standard because we have done smooth two weeks in a row on lessons...so I reckon I am in for it soon (though I did also sneak in some work on rondes as well)...mostly worked on trying to bring solid technique, common sense, and fluidity back into it...I am feeling heartened by the fact that I know a fair deal and am able to make my body comply reasonably well...also worked some gold latin jive n paso

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

worked primarily on samba, jive and slow fox, both fundamental figures as well as drills for CBM & balance.

20. frotes

frotes Member

Keep on practicing that technique. rumba is looking good, now to move onto making cha cha solid