How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

working on corrections in; verticality and posture, keeping opposition around a vertical axis, making sure the spine is on the correct axis.

2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

shouldn't post here...should post on the whining thread. they are not going. they are not going anywhere.

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Worked on chacha, samba and rumba, trying to focus on hip movement isolation. Crowded, noisy studio tonight though, may need to practice either earlier or later in the day.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

worked corrections from monday and some basics with pro's son, just for fun....

5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Finally got to practice with DP. Now we have a new quickstep, tango, and waltz routine. Productive practice.

6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

A sign of a good practice session: one of the other people in the studio comments that they could tell that you were working in your facial expressions in quickstep when you had, to be completely honest, simply been really enjoying the practice. There's something about really going for it in that dance that I find to be terribly good for the soul.

7. latingal

loved my practice today....had one of those sessions where you gain a better understanding of how things feel when you're correctly doing what your coaches ask you to do. so many times you think you understood, then the light bulb goes on and you actually feel it - which then leads to a better understanding of why you've been having the problems you've had. which hopefully leads to fixing those problems!!

8. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

spot on there! you express my feelings so so accurately!!!

9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Pretty good, but we need new routines and we haven't had time to really sit down and work them out with the coach yet. Hopefully those will start happening some time next week. Though I think we have the beginning to our new waltz :)

Things are getting back to where they were before we had a 2 week break from dance.

10. latingal

time to stop working corrections....time to start dancing!!

started running repetitions without any focus on corrections, focus shifting to what is being shown in the dance....much less brain work/careful work - much more freedom and sensing!!

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

like! :)

12. fascination

today is a total practice day, other than a quick trip to tan and maybe to the fabric store for some sparklies with dtr....thusfar, I spen half an hour watching real smooth dancers on TV...and I have gone through corrections in all latin and rhythm dances as well QS timing and types of rise and standard gold waltz....rest of standard and all of smooth after a bit of rest

13. fascination

round two, all waltzes, all foxtrots and all tangos....vw is going to have to wait til later...worked alot of technical corrections pretty much all over the place...and spent alot of time looking at it in the mirror

14. latingal

today, some work on technical corrections so I can get through the repetitions. tomorrow, a bit of technique work then more reps!

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

long practice, wore latin heels for the first time in a shockingly long time. jive, cha and samba drills & fundamentals in both slow and full speeds. focused on footwork, sharp timing, explosive energy, relaxed movement, and sensation.

16. latingal

practice yesterday was disappointing....I learned a few things, but that was not the goal of that practice session. Could not force myself to move on and get on with it....got stuck in the muck and mire... *sigh*

17. fascination

thusfar; rumba warm-up experimenting with use of feet and also some good progress on spirals...also worked aspects of cha, as well as some work on volta technique... a review of the jive and paso choreo....a review of intl FT timing and then intl waltz focusing on balance, control, movement, position (and pleasure :))

18. fascination

add;...tango technique, particularly focusing on not turning inside frame, particularly in PP...and QS timing and rise and fall

19. latingal

I'm trying to do too many things at once...need to narrow my focus now. There are some technical improvements I'd love to work on, but I need to get moving on some performance work. There's just never enough time....

20. latingal

body/legs have not been feeling strong the last couple of days....need to physically and mental re-ground and center!