How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

work on problem spots in routines starting to come to fruit....
  2. latingal

getting in comp mode....
  3. latingal

working on intent and sensing....
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I'm starting to miss them. 2 weeks of recovery down, 10 to go.
  5. latingal

hang in there 3wishes!
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

today:...all things waltz...and in my long forsaken court shoes on a humid floor...good practice for the near future.....focused on various concepts including foot placement, soft knees and use of my head...lol
  7. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Starting to get to a place in my dancing where I can actually apply some of the things I'm told in my lessons during practice. I feel like I made a bit of a breakthrough on swivels in tango. I heard my instructor's voice saying things, tried to apply them, and the results were pretty good.

It seems like it has taken forever to be able to figure out how to practice on my own. I never felt like it was productive, and in some cases, I felt it was counter-productive. But I'm enjoying the fact that now, when I do practice, I know enough to be able to focus and apply. :banana:
  8. latingal

Yay Wannabee!!
  9. fascination

ditto that...ime, until a student knows how to practice, progress is elusive.....congrats
  10. fascination

practice today was better than yesterday, worked open smooth FT and paso jive and cha...working a variety of corrections...was just happy not to be sore which is always the biggest and most annoying impediment to my practices
  11. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Waking up the dancing body after a long hiatus, getting ready for lessons tomorrow - the feet are a bit wobbly, but everything else is surprisingly solid and comfortable. If I can get the tension out of my legs and feet so they can actually do something, all will be well!
  12. fascination

thusfar today technique for all latin and rhythm dances...and a review of all possible routines...which happen to equal 14 at the moment...worked various issues including leg action, isolating various parts of my body, spin technique etc ...

after a break, will get to standard and smooth
  13. fascination

smooth and standard, emphasis on use of feet and knees as well as head...reviewed all 16 possible routines looking at latest technical issues
  14. latingal

good practices the last couple of days...or maybe my brain is just tired and I think I'm having good practices. *grin*

just trying to be aware of my body and what it actually feels like when I'm dancing well.
  15. GGinrhinestones

Good practice today following up on great lessons yesterday - feel like a Real Dancer with Pretty Arms!! All that work on upper body action and arm placement yesterday is paying off today, at least.
  16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

took seven sessions of coaching in a row on sunday!! water, gatorade breaks only danced with the lady coach two sessions am waltz fox and vw routines ( gonna start competing with her soon) then three with my wife and the male coach on new intl rhumba routine followed by two with my local pro and the lady coach on am VW and tango routines tired but exhilarated!!
  17. fascination

wow...that sounds like something I would do
  18. latingal

I am literally standing in front of a mirror watching myself dance and gauging how much energy I am using and what the quality of the resulting movement is. Next I will be trying to differentiate how the energy needs to be used.....
  19. GGinrhinestones

Pretty arms! Two days in a row! Not quite as effortless as yesterday, for some reason, but I was able to recreate it, so I must be doing something right!

And pretty good breakthrough on cha cha opening - no longer falling out of it, now just struggling to get there fast enough. I take that as a sign of improvement.
  20. latingal

I could not stay over my own feet to save my life today....let's hope I'm just getting that out of my system now.