How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Great. The two dances we have choreographed routines for are feeling a lot smoother.
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

taking some corrections up to speed.....body was quite confused, mind was in a state of panic (wait...did i do it, did i do it?), and partner probably was wondering what the heck was going on. *grin*

at least it's encouraging....it worked in a few places, now it's back to more practice to get it to work consistently!! body memory time!!
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

worked some issues in gold jive, both pasos and some samba alignment issues, then ran through all latin and rhythm dances/possibilities

also ran through all waltzes, smooth and international, with attention to some recent corrections there....brief break then will have to go through all FT, T, QS, and VW...with particualr attention to closed promenade in tango which I have apparently forgotten how to do well
  4. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Worked on some latin technique today after several months of focusing primarily on rhythm. Egads. Will need to do more of that before school starts.
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Spirals... spot turns....spirals....spot turns, working on trying to stay balanced and strong.
  6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Practicing turns is brutal! Especially since you can only practice so many at a time or in a row !!!!!
  7. latingal

practice today....finding the zone, staying in the zone, and playing in the zone... it was a good practice....
  8. fascination

good to hear LG...simply trying to put a wealth of correction into the hard drive here...none are earth-shattering or difficult to incorporarate, but getting them to stick in a short timeline will be a challenge
  9. latingal

hey fasc! sounds like you're having a good run right now; hope that preparations for USDC continue to go well!

mental practice yesterday....keeping an open and grounded upper body posture.
  10. fascination

thx...you too
  11. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Really nice lesson after a bit of a break! had a couple of breakthroughs on reminding my body to engage my core. Stupid lazy core.
  12. gracie

gracie Active Member

This is me!
  13. latingal

the last week and half of practices to the comp are going to be intense mentally....will give it my all, but then have to stop worrying about it. at a certain point, the work is over and nothing else is going to get in!
  14. latingal

trying to convince my brain to leave well enough alone already!!
  15. fascination

dag nabbit....after a long negotiation with my right ankle/achilles, even with the concession of ankle brace and practice shoes, a peaceful compromise could not be found...I am simply not going to be allowed to practice today....but tomorrow, there will be no concessions.... end of story....(I am thoroughly prepared, this is no big deal, I am thoroughly prepared, this is no big deal, I am thoroughly prepared, this is no big deal)
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Fasc, don't push it if your ankle/achilles is hurting... you know the drill... you don't want to make it worse...stretch, ice, antiinflammatories and rest!
  17. fascination

yer preachin' to the choir ...no way I'm doin' something stupid right now...but I will test it out tomorrow and am hoping it lets up...I think it is mild and will respond well to some rest...I am willing it
  18. fascination

thusfar today ankle/achilles has tolerated a standard/smooth practice with only a few warning twinges....

as to practice itself; working several concepts from recent coachings...and things are feeling good...but, i do think it is time to review QS
  19. latingal

i hope all continues to go well with the ankle/achillies fasc!!

One of those practices that you just have to battle wanting to sit down or slack off. But had an interesting time experimenting with different levels of energy in the body and how much is too much or enough....also found that it is much harder to dance solidly when I am being "careful"....
  20. latingal

brain was very tired for practice today, settled for memorization/repetition work....