How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yea...fatigue here as well...think that, after, lessons tomorrow, I need to take a day off

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Day off now fasc?

As for me, practice today was very good. Tried to work in an environment that would challenge me to focus through distraction yet not over try. I hope it will be helpful in simulating difficult comp environments.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

because I teach fitness, it was either take a day off or break something...(16 1/2 hours of dance/aerobic exercise from monday morn-friday morn)...as is, the achilles is still tight today...the two days in the car will actually be a blessing....

as for practice today; thusfar, ran through all latin and rhythm...focusing on balance and crispness....ran through all smooth and standard except vws and qs (will do that shortly)...focusing on fluidity, balance, proper form and standing leg use as well as lifting, and not over rotating body inside of frame....various other issues

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice focused mostly on jive, incorporating some changes after our recent coaching, then reviewed other Latin dances, repeating challenging patterns for proper balance and control.

5. latingal

practice today a bit frustrating....couldn't get my brain to stop chattering about all the things it wants to get in. was ready to find a cement wall to find out if pounding my head against it would stop the yammering.... LOL!

ah well, at least I got some movement in....we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Turns out, simple spins really aren't simple at all:headwall:

7. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

First practice after a month off on Sunday. It was really rough. I could get the quantity, but not the quality.

8. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Swingouts, swingouts, and more swingouts...need to be able to do these in my sleep...

9. llamasarefuzzy

technique, technique, technique! I'm so ready to get back to school so I can finally work with my partner!

10. latingal

gearing up to do some rather un-fun practices....always a challenge to be found, but worth the work if you can break through!!

11. latingal

practice today - rumba, cha-cha and samba....eyes off the floor, low in the hips, and keep the posture....slowly making progress.

12. latingal

dynamics, verticality and focus.

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My points of emphasis in smooth for the next few weeks:

1. Head position
    2. Keep hips to partner
    3. Footwork, especially on 3 in waltz/fox

14. llamasarefuzzy

Got to work on all the fun smooth stuff last night! Reminded me why I love to dance so much!!!

15. latingal

repetitions to get new corrections in to body memory.....

16. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Competing for the first time on saturday! So excited.. Hopefully the last 4 months of practice have paid off

latingal likes this.
  17. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Trying to get my head wrapped around this whole swing/sway thing. Or, more importantly, get my body to do something approximating any of it. *sigh*

Good luck, smidra!! Hope your comp goes well.

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I remember we had a long thread about the difference between swing and sway... I don't think we ever came up with the answer. o_O

19. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I've got a good idea of what they are in theory...at least enough to be starting with...it's the actual implementation that is eluding me at this exact moment.

20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Standard is going great. We have good focuses, Latin----i have no drive for it since my partner dropped me.... It just drives me into the ground when that happens.

21. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Are you speaking literally or figuratively? :)

22. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Haha figuratively. :p Though I have been convinced to do Silver TBA at DCDI. So I guess I should quit moping and start practicing again.