How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Haha, back to work, you! ;)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ran through some corrections to hip twists, with particular emphasis on puntuating timing...also did some of this on various parts of cha...

ran through standard and smooth (all gold) waltz looking at musicality, and shaping

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Interesting practice, took recommendations from a recent coaching and tried to find a personality today. LOL! Was quite interesting to work on maintaining an optimal level of internal energy too.

4. fascination

lol

latingal likes this.
  5. Chicago2012

Chicago2012 New Member

Focusing on the connection between my partner and I in practice, and hoping to keep peace in the partnership while doing it!! So far its getting better but there are some rough moments.

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

DW and I went down to the studio and practiced for an hour and a half yesterday. With her help, I actually figured out a problem that I was having with tango fans. I've been really working on trying to improve my torso rotation in steps like fans. Well, we did a few fans and it was disappointing -- mushy, no snap, and it felt like I was getting bound up.

DW asked me to do a few by myself while she watched. As I did them I explained to her what I was doing with my footwork, hips, and topline. It felt pretty good; I got my back foot pointed in the right direction and the body torque was pretty good. Then I did one with her, and it didn't feel the same. I thought about what I had just told her about my footwork -- and I realized that I was way over on the toe of my back foot. I was leaning into her lane.

I did it again, being careful to stay on my own track and keep my weight more evenly distributed over my back foot as I led the fan. And it snapped! No more mush. I was able to lead her to the right place to do the fan properly, and without straining my torso too much. That alone was worth the trip to the studio.

ajiboyet, frotes and latingal like this.
  7. frotes

frotes Member

That is an awesome breakdown! I know I don't like how my fans feel at times, I should take a closer look at it based on what you have said here

cornutt likes this.
  8. latingal

practice the last couple of days....so much to work on, but things are feeling pretty good. trying to feel more twisting action in jive, using the standing leg a bit earlier in samba, and using my back more almost everywhere....

9. fascination

thusfar today; intl rumba, looking at playing with timing and a few other tweaks in style because I am bored and boring...moved on to cha where I worked on crispness and on keeping my legs closed :)....also some issues surrounding spins and speed in jive....then spent a chunk of time on intl FT and paying attention to my head and gaze, as well as balance and fluidity, also some open smooth FT concentrating on shape and use of my back and feet

10. latingal

practices the last couple of days have been somewhat inconsistent...but I am heartened by the fact that verticality, posture, and cross connection work seems to be progressing....need to get to some performance work now....never ending it is....

11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I am VERY happy for you.

12. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Rumba crosses=death. Everything else feels good though :)

13. fascination

I love rumba crosses

14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Haha Im sure I'll like them one day. But currently I feel like I'm going to trip 50% of the time.

15. fascination

yes...they can be dangerous :)

16. latingal

feet are going to fall off.....ow.

17. latingal

oh....and going around the floor going woom-chika-woom-chika....(and yes, it looks a tad ridiculous)

18. fascination

feet here are aflame as well

latingal likes this.
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What are rumba crosses?

20. fascination

a standard step...