How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

a gold standard step with a cross and a pivot...fairly easy to get all tangled up if done poorly
  2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

It's a
    It's a gold quickstep figure. It's a awful move to learn, but beautiful if executed right.
  3. fascination

geez...just put all my practice stuff under lessons...oh well, it was the same focus
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

practices this last week....long but productive. here's to hoping it shows up on the floor!!
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I know... after a while it all runs together... :confused:
  6. fascination

yep...and, on that note, today was inside spin to pivots again...and waltz for showcase
  7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

The best part about a disappointing competition: now that I'm over the worst of my PCD, this has been the best week of practice I've had in ages. My legs frankly ache (it's amazing what really focusing on staying down does to one's quads), but it's a good ache.
    latingal likes this.
  8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Right now, I wouldn't swap my foxtrot feathers for Arunas', and that's saying something for me, because I absolutely adore the man's dancing. They've gone all the way from awkward to really smooth and awesome! Happy!
  9. latingal

practices this week have been long, but productive....feel like it's taking less time to make changes in my dancing!!
    fascination likes this.
  10. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Blergh, I have not practiced at all since mid-August, just lessons. Kid started kindergarten, husband's job moved to a longer commute, and also I got lazy since I'm not competing again til Dec 2013...Need to get back practicing on my own at least once a week, sheesh...
  11. latingal

good work today in samba...not too bad in cha-cha, rumba had a mind of it's own...*sigh* tomorrow is another day...LOL!
  12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Well enough that I feel like I should be making an investment in wine and bengay.
    latingal likes this.
  13. fascination

thusfar; rumba=work on knees and feet, correcting offenses from last dvd...also practice double spirals because I won't do them in front of pro and I want to learn them...and it went very well today...I think practice heels, my faster floor, and absence of pro (not neccessarily in that order) makes a huge difference...also work cha dealing with similar issues....note to self; go back and check standing leg on turns....brief run through of problem spots in jive, and paso....standard waltz and silver smooth looking at feet tracking and floor pressure also PP and some picture lines....more after I take a break and do the dishes
  14. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

We finally have intros down in waltz and tango routines for a showcase this Saturday. A bit of a challenge, since we decided to figure those out ourselves rather than use lesson time. Took a few ideas from Katyusha's showcases and they seem to be working, phew! Although I did fall heavily in a Sunday practice trying to copy one of her tango spins :eek:, so you can guess that step didn't make it into our final routine.
  15. latingal

practices this week have been good. working on rhythmicality in samba, accents in jive, more fluidity in rumba.
  16. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Blues: Preparing for a Jack & Jill competition at the end of this week. Working on the basics: quality of movement, musicality, and making my transitions from one move to the next as smooth as possible.

Lindy: Learning and practicing the Shim Sham. Also trying to improve my Charleston. Started working on various jazz movements in general.
  17. latingal

trying to get last minute corrections in, but switching to mostly run throughs soon.
  18. fascination

practice ain't happening til the weekend...trying not to freak about that...it will be fine
  19. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

I recently decided to become an excellent ballroom dancer. Unfortunately, I'm a bit far from that goal so none of the pros want to dance with me. I dance by myself in front of a mirror or take laps around the floor solo. I still am taking immense joy out of having these little "aha" moments daily. It's difficult to retrain myself to walk with my head straight and to keep my tail bone tucked underneath me as I flex my abs. In fact it's by far the toughest part of the training process. It's so cool to see the improvement in my balance as I get more consistent at holding that posture as I move from figure to figure. I'm a pretty happy camper these days on the dance floor.
  20. fascination

today's practice, mostly rounds but round with intention regarding integrating recent corrections
    latingal likes this.
  21. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Partner was in town this weekend so we got to run all the rhythm routines and finish up smooth and latin choreography. Just in time, too, comp next weekend:eek: Good thing we both practice alot by ourselves!
    frotes and fascination like this.