How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

practice # 2 for the day; samba, paso and all open smooth dances...glad I have another week before facing the pro....

latingal likes this.
  2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practices are going well, I have clear ideas of what I need to be working on in the next couple of weeks... whether they will improve in the next couple of weeks remains to be seen... mostly spirals and spot turns in chacha rumba, and rolling off the arm and simple spin in jive. Trying to zero in on trouble spots before next comp.

3. fascination

practice 3 = standard W. FT and T

4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

am not happy....no place to practice but my bedroom...

5. MissSongbird

MissSongbird Member

Alright I suppose. My university group hasn't been doing anything due to winter break (we will start up again in a couple of weeks) and I haven't had my lessons/ practice for the past two weeks due to holidays. I love my lessons/ practices at my local ballroom studio, but we are an odd number and the others are paired up with their "special person" or whatever. So when I'm dancing with the teacher, I'm working it out alone...which sucks. And better yet, my ex-partner might be joining us as well with his new partner/ gf. BUT we are working on Tango, so I could care less! I just can't wait till my ballroom groups starts up again. I haven't danced nearly enough lately. ;)

6. fascination

samba and rumba in practice shoes...which I never wear...everything is so much easier than in 3 inch heels

latingal likes this.
  7. latingal

Good practice today and thursday....not so much yesterday, but I'll take two out of three. Decided to take a break from trying to be Miss personality on the floor, was happy as a clam working on my feet and opposition the last three days. Soooo much easier to judge your progress when it's a cut and dry correction....

8. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Baby steps, but it's starting to click. Trying to think my way through things without thinking too much...retraining my body to do something that feels completely foreign, while at the same time trying to let my body do it without my head getting in the way. It's an interesting balancing act.

9. fascination

waltz today...standard and smooth...but second toe on left foot is hurting a good deal so kept it brief....so much for that whole social dancing thing

10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Did you get stepped on?

11. fascination

yea...and I didn't think much of it at the time because we were just doing wcs and it seemed okay....but to roll through it today....not so much

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Rumba basic & spot turns. Still not giving up...hah. And feels so good...better than ever.

latingal likes this.
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

All 5 latin dances today, focusing on areas needing the most improvement.

latingal likes this.
  14. latingal

practice yesterday, continued to ingrain a slightly different timing in foot articulation and transferring weight. has definitely made the initiation of the body action more natural and I'm getting more weight in to my heel.

15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Did waltz, pivot action feels better... not exactly curving the way it should and the exit is hit or miss still. The first long side feels like flying finally :) at least when done by myself. the second short feels alright and the other long still feels weird :/

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Lots of things to be worked on, but... tango is finally beginning to smooth out a bit. I'm finally finding a right hand position that works for me, so I carry less tension in my shoulders. Pivots are improving too.

17. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

I spend my hours practicing watching the syllabus dvds memorizing the steps and doing the girls and guys parts separately. It's difficult finding a partner for my skill level. That's the biggest weakness in my practicing. It's not because I'm a good dancer. I'm no longer dancing like a beginner but I'm also not dancing like a true professional. I'm somewhere in between and it's difficult for me to find people that are around that skill level. Most of the people i know are either beginners or legit professional dancers. I foresee many more hours of dancing alone until I can get my skill level higher.

18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Had an "aha" moment today about alignment in standard frame!!! Seems like the break was well worth it!

19. latingal

Difficult practice today....but I did learn a few things. Hoping tomorrow will be better....

20. fascination

worked new gold QS. also some corrections to top spin and some exercises to make fallaway and dbl reverse smoother....same with spin turn