How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Why can't I spot my damn spins? I can't seem to keep my head level.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

are your abs engaged ?

practice today; smooth and standard waltz, intl FT...smooth and standard tango....rumba drill...emphasis on various recent corrections in all dances

3. cornutt

It's kind of hard to tell, because I have a hard time doing spins if I'm thinking about them. Would really like to practice them more, but I get brain-fatigued pretty fast when I try to practice spins.

4. fascination

can you do them slowly?

5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Working on a rather nebulous subject....having trouble figuring out exactly how to practice it and how to make sure I'm making progress at it....

6. fascination

so mysterious

7. latingal

LOL, is that for me? If so, not really....though I think being a woman of mystery might be kinda' fun. But, naw....just trying to figure out how to tell if a "energy state" is showing up in my dancing. I just have to kinda' go to it and hope it's working....

8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

In Standard, I never thought about where my eyesight was focused on before until last week we were practicing in a room that had a checkered floor. We did a natural spin turn in quickstep and i got dizzy from the visual-input from this checkered floor....which makes me think i must be looking down somehow. I've only switched to international a few months ago so i'm just a baby pre-bronzer (and standard still freaks me out LOL). I never thought about where my eyesight was before as i don't normally look down---at least never in latin---- but now i'm thinking too much about it and i'm all messed up. I guess i was looking down? Yesterday i was trying to look at the ceiling, or high up on some wall....but when we try a larger degree of rotation and do it faster, like, i just don't know where to look and as a follow, i have my head cranked over LOL. How do you basically spot without 'spotting' in standard? does that make any sense? I'm all messed up now LOL i just tried to search for a thread on this but i wasn't successful.

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

if electrons fly out of your hair...;)

10. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

My hair got stuck between my armpit and my partner's arm during jive practice today. It felt like it was torn out of my scalp. That's how our practices are going.... MAC = T - 4 days.

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

OOOUUUCHHHHH

12. cornutt

Yes, although I sometimes fight to get enough rotation.

13. fascination

for me, I keep my gaze slightly above eye level, looking straight over my own wrist and without breaking my sides of my neck line

Miss Silly likes this.
  14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

AAAAAAAAaaaaahhhhhhhh thank you!! I will try this tonight.

15. latingal

Good practices last couple of days....samba basics on Wednesday, Thursday; scatting practice (long story) and technique work on; posture, opposition, relaxing and keeping weight in the back foot to stay lower in the front hip. I had a good time yesterday....blew off what I HAD to do and did more of what I wanted to do. You gotta' have those days or it just becomes all work....

16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

A million thanks yous, as this has seemed to solve a HUGE issue for me!

fascination likes this.
  17. latingal

Day off today, good practices and lessons this week so I'd really like to go in and work today, but 7 days straight probably isn't wise. Have been enjoying my practices this last week, feels good to have things come together finally!

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practicing a little smooth today for a change of pace...

19. Janson

Janson Active Member

Really working Cha Cha technique into every figure, some easier than other. Cha Cha walks looking good though.

As for Jive, legs are too tired from last practice! Physically can't keep the bounce going.

20. fascination

was too sick to practice last week...it will not happen again...I hate forgetting things I have paid for