How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Is it bad that I felt a need to practice this one jive figure during the inauguration coverage? I love Obama and was very moved by parts of his speech, but the inauguration coverage is long and the floor in our tv room is good for spins. ;)

[I now intellectually understand what I was doing wrong with this figure, and when I'm doing it during practice by myself, I can execute it correctly. But when the music gets going and there are other variables like having to make hand connections with my teacher, I have a bad feeling that I'm going to fall right back into doing it wrong. So I need to do it ~a zillion times.]

ajiboyet and fascination like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you are absolved :)

ChaChaMama likes this.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today was a review of coaching tips from yesterday in all Latin dances.

4. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Oh, I feel the same way!

5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practices the last couple of days, working some new choreography in cha-cha, samba basics, continuing repetitions on; opposition, weight placement in the back foot and front hip, and making sure the spine is moving early enough. Have to get more work in for paso and jive, and haven't had enough time to work the "release" in turns and making sure the foot coming in to the turn is timed correctly....tomorrow is going to be a long day.

6. latingal

Practice yesterday.....ick.

That's all that needs to be said.....

7. fascination

today's practice; all standard and smooth with focus on ease of movement...latin; hips

8. latingal

Back on track today...practiced at home yesterday, just worked on feet and weight in feet. Worked at studio today and realized I was not using enough natural momentum as the COG was rolling off the ball of foot, was trying to control too much with the back foot. A good practice today, rumba, cha-cha and paso all felt good. Need to hit samba and jive tomorrow.

9. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Question instead of a comment...
    How long does it take or should it take to learn a routine, practicing it yourself.
    I am not talking about getting the proper technique into the routine but just being able to remember and dance the routine in a solo practice session. (Also talking bronze rhythm, new style of dance for me) if that makes a difference.

10. latingal

I think it's different for everybody. Are we talking about just being able to mark (or walk) the routine through?

I've seen some ladies that it takes many lessons going over the choreography to get to that point (because they don't practice or are weak in remembering choreography).

Personally, I can usually mark through a full routine comfortably myself after about a week of part time practicing on it (I practice 4 or 5 days a week, but have other things that have to get done at the same time).

11. latingal

Good practice today.....I'm enjoying it fully, I know there will be days that I'll need to look back on some good days - LOL!!

Mostly samba and cha-cha today. Much better control and speed making sure that the weight is being dropped in to and on the correct part of the foot. Wooohooo!!

12. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Just started working on double reverse spin. I can't believe this is a bronze figure. This heel turn business is not working for me right now :( or at least being able to do it with a partner..... LOL

13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today... focused on paso, chacha, samba... continuing to work on incorporating coaching suggestions into movements. Did a little rumba and jive too.

latingal likes this.
  14. latingal

Wasn't quite all there for practice today....not bad, but just not as good as the last three days. Was just a tad weary....

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today : hip and torso movements in chacha, rumba and samba.

16. fascination

thusfar today; standard and smooth...just trying to integrate new information (and not lose the old stuff that works)

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Locks......focusing on rotation, walks.... hip action, samba....the "a", jive basics, paso posture.

18. latingal

Crazy practices the last couple of days....long hours, but want to do a lot of repetitions since rumba basics are coming together so well right now. Body and hip action are more volumnous and taking much less effort now that the timing of the foot, leg and upper body are coming together. Weight is going in to the heel nicely and I can see a day when I can stay at a lower level in my hip and commit my weight more consistently (which will mean more stability and groundedness).

I am extremely happy with the instruction and guidance I have been receiving. It's taken three years with my new pro going back and relearning and introducing some elements not included in my prior instruction, but everything is starting to come together. Wow....I can say all the long hours have been worth it.... :)

debmc likes this.
  19. fascination

no energy, but slogged through some latin and some trouble spots in smooth and standard

20. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Realised that I'm getting quite rusty, and am not as good as I remember being sometime ago. Time to buck up.