How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

all standard and smooth dances, working trouble spots
  2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

A little jive, a little paso
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Sigh... having to revisit hip motion in rumba... really???... focusing so much on posture and leg lines I forgot about those hips!
  4. OreganO

OreganO Member

Practices have been going extremely well, particularly within the last few weeks. This semester I have a partner which is extremely exciting and we have similar energies, again, a fantastic thing. We're currently working on having and maintaining more connection in waltz and foxtrot.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Good to see you back, OreganO, and nice avatar photo!

Working on a showcase bolero this evening. There's a tricky sequence involving pivots, telemarks, and double spins ending with rondes. I'm not getting to the right angle with the pivot, and I haven't even attempted to think about proper timing for the spins yet. There's also the bit where we have to fall on the floor and get back up to a specific rhythm. How is it that lately all of my showcase routines involve falling on the floor? o_O
  6. OreganO

OreganO Member

Thank you cornutt!
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practice today....not that productive. Perhaps I let my expectations get the better of me, hopefully a better one tomorrow!!
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Rumba and samba practice went well yesterday, still struggling with rope spinning in chacha...so fast! Jive...I'm back to being confused!
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today: leg lines, hip action in rumba, samba and chacha.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

When it comes to jive, there's never been a time when I was un-confused. :rolleyes:
    debmc likes this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today... can't believe it... I actually practiced for a solid two hours, which is very good for me!
    latingal likes this.
  12. latingal

Practice has been good. Trying to get too many things in to the body right now. Have decided to concentrate on solidifying the technique of the new choreography and cementing in the new timing/action in rumba and the commitment of weight. Feeling rather marooned on a desert island right now when it comes to solid direction...think I need to have a talk with my coach later this week.
  13. latingal

Good practice today, continued repetitions of work from the prior day.
  14. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

Because of some life changes (new job, moving, etc.) practice has fallen a bit to the wayside for me and my partner. As a result, we did poorly at our last competition.

It REALLY just goes to show you that if you don't practice, you won't do well. practice practice practice! Never stop! This world is one that is constantly changing, and moving forward; everyone around you is constantly improving. If you stop for one second, you're already behind. This I am still learning.

(with our ducks all in line now, we are back to the studio!!!)
    latingal likes this.
  15. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Interesting... for me, it seemed whenever we practiced a lot before a comp, we didn't do as well as when life got in the way and we weren't able to practice much at all. I wonder if it was due to overthinking or trying to push too hard. The mindset felt much more relaxed when we hit the floor with a "It is what it is, let's just dance." No expectations.

Which is NOT to say that I enjoy competing without some preparation :eek:
    5678dance likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i have noticed this as well .. you can most certainly overrehearse
  17. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Something like that happened to me in latin.... In December we decided to finally compete in latin again, which we hadn't practiced in over 3 months. 2 days before comp we practiced maybe once or twice and just went out there and did our thing and beat a bunch of people who use to do better than us consistently.

Practices have been rather relaxed and a little less frequent the past few days. Still trying to let everything we learned from our billion and one lessons earlier in the week to seep in. Well, we may or may not compete this weekend so we will see how that goes. Although, its against one other couple, who seems to be a mixed proficiency and mostly doing bronze other stuff... doesn't make much sense, but yeah....
    5678dance likes this.
  18. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

oh i completely believe in the overrehearsal, and the far-too-stressed-out bad-results that come along with it. I've definitely experienced that, too.

my partner and I tend to be more laissez-faire with practices in general anyway, so virtually NO practice meant bad, bad things....

IMO, it is a delicate balance between being very dedicated and being so completely obsessed that the obsession becomes a hindrance.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

all of life is like this!!!
    5678dance likes this.
  20. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

Fair point!!! :)
    Mr 4 styles likes this.