How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Took the evening off... still have some ribcage soreness.

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I get so much less done in partnered practice. In solo practice I can concentrate intently on what I need to improve.

Partnered practice I have to track how he's leading, how I'm responding, what it feels like, what the possible issues are, and then concentrate on giving feedback on "corrections". Though I do get more time "just dancing" in partnered practice, I sometimes wonder if I'm improving anything in them.

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

4. latingal

I dance pro-am and am-am Mr. 4 styles....and I know that my solo work and work with my pro I learn at an insane pace. Am practice is another matter, most the time it feels like you're wading through mud trying to track down the answer and kill it. LOL!

But pro-am is expensive, so amateur work will have to suffice for partnered practice, and we'll just have to hope that something is improving....

5. Mr 4 styles

as do i

it help somewhat if your am male also dances pro am as i do

the mrs used to be more frustrated until my pros and i turned it up then my learning skyrocketed as well

the hardest thing to get my wife to understand was that you are comparing tangerines and oranges when you compare learning speed in am am vs pro am

i look at the absolute improvement with any given partner ....not the relative improvement across partners

had to teach her that... now we work much better together

my two cents..... as i suspect you and my mrs are alike super gifted and rapid visual learner * insert green jellis emoticon here*:)

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

body to feet; we need to practice
    feet; not happening
    knees; you tell her

body to brain; let's go soak them ...and then practice

7. fascination

thurs...can do a double spiral on the right in practice shoes some of the time....continuing on that...also working on holding free leg longer in ru and cha and other technical issues...brief spot check of a few things in jive
    ....balance and power in intl waltz...left whisk...also some spots on open smooth that need repetitions in order to improve...going to look at QS tomo....left knee still tight...but I have the next three days before lessons

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Showcase routine practice today... some good improvement, better (if still not consistent) with the pivot-telemark combination, and we're getting our overall timing more where it needs to be. Noted a "dead spot" in the choreo where I'm just standing around for two bars (a side effect of a previous change); need to get with pro on that. Partner is doing better with her attitude spin, and I'm doing better at not messing it up. For some reason, there was one particular ronde that I just could not do today.

9. latingal

In my case it's a decision whether to devote time and financial resources to the am/am which takes away time and money from my pro-am work.

At this stage in my dance journey, I could use the repetitions available with having an am/am partnership - but need to help and wait as my am partner comes up to speed on technique since he does not have the resources to do pro-am.

So far it's been worth the time and money I've had to invest, but it still can be a tad frustrating to be in wait mode.

10. latingal

Solo practice today was great!

The stage I seem to be entering is that nothing is TOTALLY out of whack, things need to be tweaked here and there, but for the most part I know how I'm supposed to do things and can do them to a fair degree.

So today was about going through the routines and looking at spots that could use more dynamics, better line, or tweaking of the technique. It was fun!! :)

11. Mr 4 styles

I LOVE that phase of the learning process

hear ya!! and as an am/ am male we appreciate ALL the ladies that are willing to be patient and dance with us:)

latingal likes this.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today after no dancing for a week! ( on vacation....thought about finding a local studio but the beach was calling ).

13. Mr 4 styles

NICE!!!

14. fascination

today..worked timing in 3 alemanas, and on holding free leg as well as continuing hip movement ...and I must be settling fully because the right hip sent out a few warning notices...cha; mostly worked on locks, powering off the standing leg and holding the free leg...and snappy ttechnique...also worked some spots in jive...moved on to std waltz; quick open rev and left whisk, as well as open smooth waltz and FT trouble spots and shadow work for VW as well as my newish QS choreo....

latingal likes this.
  15. latingal

Practice yesterday, not too bad at all. Did repetition of routines where the only goals were; getting through them, maintaining precise timing and not thinking about technique.

Felt like progress was made.

fascination and debmc like this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

Nationals later this week

practice was two rounds of smooth only 20 seconds between each song no rest between rounds

then worked on trouble spots then another round

10 min rest

then repeat for latin

overall pleased even with my cold:(

latingal and twothreefourone like this.
  17. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Funny thing; all with the obstacles, my practices are getting better and better. I think I’m on the right track. I don’t know if it’ll last but I don’t care; I’m enjoying it while it lasts!!!!!!!

18. latingal

Definitely enjoy it, practices seem to run the gamut of amazing to "couldn't stand on my own two feet if I tried" on a pretty regular basis. So like you, I tend to savor the periods where practices are going well, and remind myself that I continue to learn when they aren't.

chomsky likes this.
  19. latingal

Practice today....meh. Tomorrow is another day.....

20. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

practice is the most important thing. a showcase, a party, a lesson isn't. but being all by myself definitely is.