How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Soulmate61

Soulmate61 Active Member

Sometimes I wonder if mind and soul slow down a dancer's body. Ruud Vermeij the competitive dance psychologist said in a Blackpool lecture that all the thinking should be done before and after dance, not during it (like no thinking during intercourse, ha ha ha). In the moment it should be all action by the body -- like a tennis player on court facing 130 MPH service has no time to think. If he even tries to think he has lost.

Nobody is more keen on research and development than me, but on the dance floor perhaps it is time for delivery. I tried practising tango in a room with all lights turned off (there was minimal light and I did not close my eyes). Hopefully in the dark my body reverts to instinct, becoming more self-aware in the absence of visual input, more resolute to act without referring to the mind. As for sound that is unavoidable in dancing to music.
    bluebereft, ajiboyet and fascination like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my post that you quoted was definitely not something that occurred while I was dancing....as to your post, I very much agree that the mind needs to be, if not altogether silent when we are dancing, then at least very calm....I definitely believe that, as regards competition/performance, that is not the time for analysis...good preparation certainly involves a great deal of that, but not good execution in the moment.... that, I think requires a level of peace which runs counter to juggling many technical concepts
    chomsky, Soulmate61 and Mr 4 styles like this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

what SHE said!!!!!:D exactly

i have one key word per dance that is it
  4. Soulmate61

Soulmate61 Active Member

Well put. I personally do not like dancing to singer plus lyrics. Sure, many offerings are wonderful. But two's company, three's a crowd.

Sure there are wonderful songs and lyrics, suiting foxtrot for example, but once you open the door to a singer you cannot close it again, you cannot tell a singer to tone down frantic wailing. Ashley Frohlick of the Empress Orchestra agrees with me. As for belting out melodrama in a foreign language, that is more distracting than an ambulance with siren -- to many competitors of course, ENGLISH is a foreign language.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think many men and women part company on this (I have never had a pro know what the words to anything were)...lyrics inspire me, though wailing certainly does not...and, absent beautiful music, the lyrics are useless...likewise, I am particular about the skill of the vocalist
  6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Busy week of practice this week. My am partner and I had kind of gotten away from practicing as regularly as we should due to her having mid-terms. (I am always very emphatic that she doesn't need to apologize for that - school comes first.) It's actually fairly unusual in that she's the one pressing to practice more this week. Usually it's the other way around where I'm the one with blanket availability. It's definitely one of the major advantages of having someone to practice with - as tired as I am, it would be way too easy to blow things off and just head home after work if I were only responsible to myself.
    chomsky likes this.
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practiced a little smooth... though it is too early to really know quite what to practice in smooth...
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice Saturday: spirals, spot turns, basics
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today: mostly latin...rumba, chacha, samba, and then ended with a little foxtrot! The other thread on DF that discusses ratio of practice to lesson time is making me practice more.. LOL!
    chomsky and latingal like this.
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practice yesterday; got a bit side-tracked and ended up working on some basic movement because the perfectionist in me would not let go. But it was good work, and now I'll have to add it to my reps for the next couple weeks or lose the work. Guess I like making work for myself. LOL!

Other than that, did make some progress on the things I was supposed to be working. It'll be a long week or lots of repetitions.
    chomsky likes this.
  11. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Managed to put in a 20 min practice despite the excruciating back pain! I'm so proud of myself!!!!!!!
  12. latingal

Be careful and make sure to rest and get it checked out....but other than that, I'm glad you were able to practice!
    ajiboyet and chomsky like this.
  13. chomsky

thanks my sweetheart, I have done both! It's been twenty days since my injury and I still rest but it's so rewarding to be able to overcome the inner obstacles and at last just practice again.I sometimes think nothing compares to practice. I do, I cannot find the words to describe the joy it gives you, the inner peace.
    latingal likes this.
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Please don't over-push yourself. That might make you stop dancing permanently.
    chomsky likes this.
  15. chomsky

thanks for the interest, I'm at the other end of the scope...after so many years that I have managed to avoid the operation I more or less know what not to do. unless it's a matter of life and death, which is why I got injured 20 days ago...I'm recuparating thanks to dance.You know, dance is my medicine and I mean it litteraly, just like any other person that uses it only for a cure. Thanks for caring!!!!
  16. latingal

Good practices today and yesterday. Still working tons of repetitions of latest work. Concentrating on using less muscular intensity takes a lot of focus after doing it for so long!!
  17. chomsky

Okay I don't know whether to consider my practice yesterday a success or a failure. I had a fight with my boss at work that resulted in my injuring my back for the third time in a month. So, my practice only lasted 10 minutes instead of an hour or half an hour. Is that a failure? I guess not considering that much pain I could handle yesterday.
  18. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Practices are going well! Comp in a couple of weeks, feel like everything's coming together nicely. Lots to work on as I'm adding Standard and a couple of solos for this one.

My coach seems to think I don't practice solo. My instructor knows I do, since we talk about it and he can tell what I've worked on from one day to the next, but she's been on my case this week to *make* myself practice. Perhaps because I usually practice at home, and the one day I do practice at the studio is a day she isn't there? Weird though, and makes me wonder what she's looking for that I'm not doing...
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today: turns, spirals, body isolations, then c/c, rumba, samba.
  20. chomsky

managed an hour with a silent mind, not calm but peaceful enough