How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Having withdraw probably today, unless my partner and I can find other space. Our Monday practices ended because of the school year coming to a close, we still have about a week of our other practices before the end of term. Then probably a two week break before the room of heat deathness opens up for summer practice :eek:
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right achilles has been crunchy lately and putting a damper on full out practice....annoying
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hope it feels better soon fasc!
  4. latingal

What a week it's been. Crazy busy with some non-dance related activities, but still managed to get some practice and rounds in. It seems that the work on flow and weight has gone well, so much so that lesson yesterday seemed to want to take me back the other direction (well to be fair, I think the other direction at certain moments in time and in certain areas of the body).

I can foresee a week of rather confusing practices to try to figure this out. Not probably the best timing for this with comp season fast approaching for me.... *sigh*
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I did it again... went if for an hour practice, finished after two hours. I know I won't practice as much as Fasc and LatinGal... but perhaps, slowly but surely, I can continue to increase my practice time!
    latingal likes this.
  6. fascination

truth be told, F needs to get on it...but the schedule and the achilles has not been cooperating...ironically, the lesson have been going well...so who knows?
  7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Practice was good, though tired. I went for a 30minute swim before hand and that wiped me out. My upper body will be mad at me for a while. But hopefully swimming should all help me in many ways.

However, tango has issues... Telespin into contra is a bit out of control. shm..... :confused:
    chomsky likes this.
  8. latingal

I think I've posted this once before, I guess I should be glad that it hasn't happened more than that...they shoot horses don't they? *grrrrr*
  9. latingal

Much better practice session in the evening yesterday. Better understanding of why I could not carry out the work and made some progress in exploring the idea more fully!
    fascination likes this.
  10. latingal

Good practices this week so far. Working on the details of opposition; understanding in more detail which muscle groups are being used (and those that are not being used) and how they work together in the three dimensions to create the correct energy and tone in the body to make the body "come alive"!
  11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Quickstep is unfriendly... very very unfriendly. All the other dances are pretty good though.
  12. fascination

sore...hard to practice today...some time on arms when shaping in open smooth, fixing a few ugly tendencies to heel lead here and there in latin as a new unfortunate consequence of staying on inside edge of foot more...and delaying rolling through heel moving backward in intl FT
    latingal likes this.
  13. latingal

gads I'm tired.....
    Wannabee and twothreefourone like this.
  14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Though I haven't practiced in a few days, overall practices have either been really good or really bad lately. Some days, the new choreo feels like I'm flying. Other days, either my brain blanks out and I can't remember it and keep messing up, or I feel like a complete newcomer again where I can't do much of anything right. I just hope practices don't continue like this for very much longer.
  15. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Maybe that just means you're doing it right... :D

I've realised lately that my solo practices are 70% basics and 30% on transferring that movement experience into choreography. I miss my partner :p As much as I like basics, there's just someone special missing.
    chomsky, Sania and latingal like this.
  16. latingal

LOL...I hope you're not like me then, it's been going on for years....
  17. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

I find it so difficult to practice smooth solo. Rhythm I can do stuff that at least will feel somewhat like it is supposed to. Smooth, I feel like a newborn giraffe when I try to dance through various patterns.

And, I've decided it would be nice t have a bigger, better place to practice. But we make do with what we have I guess.

I really need more room to practice smooth. The dining room table keeps cutting my driving short.
    chomsky and latingal like this.
  18. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Practices have been frustrating!!!!

I've been given strengthening, technique and balance exercises to do, and they're hard... and getting harder, as the list keeps getting added to. Today my feet hurt, my inner thighs hurt, and I'm due at the studio in a little over 2 hours for a group technique class. I'm trying to remind myself that the exercises are hard because they're working on what I'm not as strong at, and that I'm at least hurting in the muscles that I'm supposed to be working... and those muscles are starting to change in appearance, which must mean something... just waiting for the moment when all the work starts to spill over into the routines (which it probably already is, I just can't feel/see it. Deep down, I doubt pro would be throwing new exercises and technique elements to think about if I was still an utter disaster with the ones that came before.)

Ok, whine over. Time for some heat rub, some dinner accompanied by DF, and a trek to the studio early enough for a nice long warm-up.
  19. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I've been practicing Smooth to music slowed down by some %... it really helps figure out what/why things are awkward. Plus it feels like doing Tai Chi! :D
  20. LT

LT Member

New tango wall is slowly taking shape... my partner is wary of it, says it's a "mountain" to climb... but hey, the bigger the mountain, the better the view... ;-)