How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

First practice with new partner was Monday, things are going well! Still getting used to each other and sorting out how it's going to go, but it's quickly getting better, looking forward to the months to come!

Sania, chomsky and latingal like this.
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Enjoyed my practices the last week. Yesterday took a simple subject and concentrated on it in 3 different dances....was a relief only to work on one thing for once.....

chomsky and ajiboyet like this.
  3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I am putting this at my FB page! thanks!

latingal likes this.
  4. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

Pure stamina practice yesterday - danced a couple of finals for the full length of each song. I'm sure the last minute or two (at least!) of every dance wasn't pretty to behold, but still also convinced that this will be a good step in the direction of reducing stress levels from worrying about my ability to keep up stamina-wise in a final at proper competition song lengths.

I also found it to be a very good excercise in maintaining focus on technique and posture even when my entire body just wanted to "fall apart". :)

chomsky, ajiboyet and latingal like this.
  5. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

And it turns out music is an important factor too...just when I think I'm nailing it, I put on a very smooth song that doesn't have the half-quarter-whole percussion beats (Gravity, Sara Bareilles) and everything seems to go out of the window.

I. Will. Nail. This.

6. Vero

Vero New Member

Practice went well. I've been doing a lot of technique... And with my new open cha cha routine underway: that's all I can think about.

locks and samba walks.... Those are on the top of my list!

Too bad I'm out at Chicago for 7 whole days :(
    Travel stinks sometimes.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

brief practice tonight, just rumba basics and my open smooth waltz....am hoping this week (which doesn't seem to be heavily booked at the moment) will yield some serious practice time...b/c I feel woefully remiss in that area

8. latingal

Practice this week, sticking with two simple subjects - posture/activation in the upper body and finding/establishing pathways to "just dancing".

Today was pretty good. Cha-cha felt more compact and grounded with the posture work. Rumba was a bit of a struggle to let go and be in the moment. Samba, well okay, I did work some technical stuff.....

9. chomsky

practice is going well. it's not the content it's the pace that matters for me. it's now 6 whole days in a row that I've been practicing and I happy at myself!!!!!!!!

ajiboyet and latingal like this.
  10. fascination

all dances other than jive paso and samba...will get that tomorrow..trying no to panic over that which isn't yet in my muscle memory

latingal likes this.
  11. latingal

I'm trying to be zen about the fact that I have two injuries that are hampering my preparation for my next comp. Forcing myself to limit my practices to let my body recover and heal is trying my patience, but it must be done....sigh

ajiboyet and chomsky like this.
  12. chomsky

MY DARLING, SWIFT RECOVERY!!!!!!

latingal likes this.
  13. latingal

Thanks chomsky....it's slower going than I would have hoped, but it will get better - LOL, it seems in it's own time though.

Still doing limited practices, trying to be careful to not further the injury and let it heal. Working mostly odds and ends in technical corrections.....

chomsky likes this.
  14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Lots of everything yesterday, except waltz... Been doing to much of it anyway. It was a solo practice so I found out which places that my partner is clearly helping me out way too much. So I drilled those areas quite a bit to make sure there is no slipping, sliding, or pulling partner. Quickstep in no airconditioning is no fun.. But I feel bad for avoiding it for a long time.....

latingal likes this.
  15. latingal

Being careful with my injury, but still managing to practice. Doing very small technical details where appropriate, but trying to concentrate on the "big picture" of being active and aware in the body and how it will be seen by the audience.

chomsky likes this.
  16. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Both my partner and I are so from having played laser tag the other day, but we tried to practice some anyways. Our Viennese still needs a lot of work, particularly because the constant spinning seems to take a toll on him nausea-wise. Hopefully we'll get it soon though. Definitely thankful that rounds are only a minute and thirty seconds, haha!

chomsky likes this.
  17. fascination

smooth and standard...a host of issues.....tried to spend a good deal of time watching myself do things to see where it gets ugly :)

18. chomsky

I will lose one of the spaces where I go for practice. I still have the other one and of course the ladiesroom at my office...and my bedroom mirror...so, I will stop giving myself excuses for not dancing 24 hours 7!!!!!!!!!!!

19. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

currently being lazy and not practicing enough. i have stuff to work on by myself, need to do it, but i have just been lazy over the last week. Even had a great coaching last week. so i'm taking the rest of the week off of work and dance and heading to the beach with the kids. recharge time!

20. fascination

not bad today...trying to retain improvements to rumba walk and to cha locks...also use of back and feet in smooth

latingal likes this.