How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Coaching yesterday. Two hours, all smooth. Big lesson was: "Keep your head to the left." Now, we all know this, but... the coach pointed out to me the art/technique of keeping your head left even when swaying to the left, which frankly is something that has never occurred to me. However, it explains why I always have trouble with certain figures falling to the right, such as right turns in VW. It felt weird the first few times I tried it, and it's something that I'm going to have to work on.
    Hedwaite likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

does feel weird at first...but then so much better that you never want to go back :)
    samina and cornutt like this.
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Some good run-throughs of our brand-new smooth foxtrot routine today, plus working out some kinks in quickstep and slow fox. It's sometimes a little bizarre to be quickstep-running through the halls of the student union, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Working a lot on head weight/shape and using hips for sway. Also not straightening our legs too much.
    chomsky likes this.
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Trying to get used to the less technical work I've been doing in practices. It tends to leave me feeling like I haven't accomplished anything to improve my dancing....am trusting the process and the pro and trying to keep focused on the work.
  5. fascination

saturday; thusfar; most things W,T, F....just a gentle run through reviewing my footwork and various other technical issues...am creaky today and need some down time...but also need to practice regardless
    latingal likes this.
  6. LT

LT Member

New tango wall was working today and seems to be getting more solid... might try it at Embassy... :cool: Also, it seems we fixed (or at least improved) a frame issue we've been having... much less tension now, while maintaining supportive tone.
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

practicing this week....mixed bag. simply trying to stay patient and not freak out.
    chomsky likes this.
  8. fascination

sunday...so far, just waltz...in the mood
  9. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

managed to put in a 10 min practice even with my pain! I'm so proud of myself, hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    latingal and cornutt like this.
  10. chomsky

so far 15 min today! kudos to me!!!!!!yupee!!!!
    latingal likes this.
  11. chomsky

you've gotta do what you've gotta do! that's the spirit!!!!!!!
  12. chomsky

that's the first thing we deal with. after this we move on to other things. I always tend to freak out as I am a bit of a freak;)
  13. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Found my office and it's in the university gym which means tons of practice space in the same building! Unfortunately no ac which means 95 degree + temps and really sticky floors. I'm literally dripping after an hour long quickstep foxtrot practice in what I'm pretty sure is 100 degrees
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

My samba whisks actually look better. All the information I've been gleaning from Peter Stokkebroe is finally beginning to show...God bless the WDSF for those very generous uploads on Youtube...
    Krogholm, chomsky and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  15. chomsky

Yesterday for the first time in a month I managed to put in an hour's practice!!!!!!!!It takes discipline to do that! I am so so proud of myself, after such a long time of not being able to put in an hour's work, all with life getting in the way! I am so so happy, what if I made a mess of my lesson? I compensated for it with my practice yesterday!!!!
    cornutt likes this.
  16. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Was up in Chicago this weekend for practice with my partner. We had an extremely productive 18 hours which included fine tuning open waltz and quickstep, finally practicing open foxtrot together, finalizing gold waltz, tango and foxtrot routines, and fine tuning some of gold quickstep. We got a great lesson from our coach and were also able to attend the Peter Eggelton workshop at wco. Learned some valuable things about body position, but were also a bit confused, when in the last two minutes he said "on yeah, your head should be the first thing to move." We were like, huh? And asked our teacher during our lesson. At first he was confused, and then he was like, oh yeah, of course, worry about that in about 5 years:rolleyes:
    chomsky likes this.
  17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

At the risk of getting a lecture from the medical types here, I had the best practice session tonight that I've had in *ages*. You see, I've been having knee issues for a bit now, and got in to see the orthopedist today. He gave me a steroid shot and set me up for some physical therapy. Now, the ortho didn't say anything, and I don't see the physical therapist until next week - so I saw no reason I couldn't get some cautious practice in.

Holy crap. The steroid shot had kicked in by that point. I had no idea that my knee had been affecting me *that* much. It wasn't just my standard either. My samba was night and day. Heck, my cha-cha was very noticeably improved. Now, I know. I can't particularly trust what my knee is telling me right now. While I danced harder than I have in a while, I tried very hard to not overdo it. But God, I needed that, being able to feel like I was actually dancing.
    chomsky likes this.
  18. chomsky

I couldn't agree with you more, and I know what I'm talking about...
  19. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Practice was hard today. It was stinking hot in the studio, and I was already feeling queasy after my hairdresser appointment (ick, too many perfumed products in use), but I stuck it out anyway. Yay for persistence, and I even cleaned up some problem spots.
    chomsky and latingal like this.
  20. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

The more you teach a figure to a student, the more you figure the figure out better for your own dancing.
    chomsky, Sania and middy like this.