How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the head is the tip of the whip

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practices the last couple of days have been good, back to looking at what is next to attack on the improvement treadmill. The last one is going to come along quickly since it is something that previously was in the body, but got nudged out with the last round of modifications - so bringing it back with the modified technique isn't hard, it's just understanding how it now fits together. I'm hoping this is an easier one then the last.....

chomsky likes this.
  3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

nice one!

Hedwaite likes this.
  4. chomsky

pure persistance! I've never done this before in my life! 2 consecutive hours of practice, hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

latingal likes this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Realized something in regard to pivots... I haven't been committing weight to the left foot on the second step, as I'm setting up for the pivot. So experimentally, I'm trying to bear way over to the left on that step, and the rotation I'm suddenly getting on pivots is amazing. Now I need to learn to control it.

latingal and chomsky like this.
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Ah, pivots. An eternal reminder that I'm not as awesome as I think I should be "by now".

7. cornutt

I completely know the feeling. :rolleyes:

8. latingal

Really good practices over the weekend. Exploring the timing of the oppositional switch in rumba and cha-cha, so far it's resulting in much more fluid and powerful movement (it's a good thing to be coordinated - LOL!). Working on foot speed and maintaining good energy in required oppositions. Also did some much needed work in jive, I've let that one get too rusty.

9. latingal

Practice today, good. Went over more of what I did on the weekend to start getting repetitions in for body memory. Hit all dances but Paso, a good day.

chomsky likes this.
  10. chomsky

a good 10 min practice for me too! my God, what a feeling! even if it's only 10 min the work I did in that small span of time! my God, when you are in shape! first in mind and then in body, what a difference it makes when you focus!!!!

latingal and cornutt like this.
  11. latingal

Finally hit the wall practicing yesterday. Was expecting it, after 4 days of long and productive practices I figure you're going to hit one that refuses to budge. That was yesterday. Decided to cut the practice short and dance another day....but am satisfied with the progress in the new areas of work.

chomsky likes this.
  12. chomsky

wow, same thing with me half an hour ago. my practice was a disaster, so I cut is short. I don't know whether it's a swearing word, but it really sucked I'm telling you!

13. latingal

LOL - it happens....you learn to expect it. Either you soldier on or decide to dance another day! :)

chomsky and dancelvr like this.
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Hang in there!

chomsky likes this.
  15. cornutt

I guess that's one advantage of dancing two styles... if you start practicing one and it isn't happening that day, you can switch to the other one.

chomsky likes this.
  16. chomsky

I decided to practice another day. I guess it's only natural you canno always be happy at yourself and your dancing even if it's only practice, that's the way life is, thanks a thousand latingal!!!!!!!

latingal likes this.
  17. latingal

Thought I was going to have partnered practice today....ended up being solo. I have to admit to being a tad disappointed in that it's been mostly solo work for the last couple of weeks, it would have been nice to actually dance in connection. But, had a good practice anyway. Simply did more work....not much more to say then that.

chomsky likes this.
  18. bluslu

bluslu Member

Actually practiced. Ballroom just started back up for me again so it's been a mishmash of trying to get things started and keeping things organized (I am on the executive board of the college group) and making sure everything is running smoothly. Now that we have gotten past the initial surge in the beginning, I can focus on me for a bit. And for about the first time, my silver partner asked if I wanted to practice yesterday. It's usually only about a month before a comp that he's like "Oh yeah, let's practice." So it was a nice change. And then the guy I will be doing bronze smooth with also wanted to practice. Originally it was gonna be Thursday but do to class stuff, he wanted to move it to yesterday. Was directed to a room that was SO much better than where we can typically get space- it's definitely gonna be the space I'm going to ask about from now on.

So I practiced for an hour by myself waiting for him to show up in the morning (his alarm didn't go off), then two hours with him, going over what we both know, working on angles and getting him to progress down the floor and just dancing together because we haven't really. Then after I came home for a bit, I turned around and went back to pick up my silver partner. We went over all of the stuff we know in rhythm, figuring out the order we want to put things together and trying to figure out what we actually know. Then we worked on WTF and our body shaping and things. Overall, it was a successful practice, except for the part where he said he doesn't think he's going to Ohio. Booo.

But 5 hours of practice is gonna catch up to me. Considering I've only been dancing again for 3 weeks after a 2 month hiatus to fix my body. But it was so nice to practice and actually have my partner interested in practicing as well (I've danced with a guy before who acted like it was beneath him to practice. That's always fun....). I don't expect great things but I always feel better about it when we agree on what we know.

19. chomsky

My pro was exhausted and overslept; I ended up with an extra hour of practice by myself, not bad, not bad at all!!!

latingal likes this.
  20. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I didn't feel like my foxtrot natural turns were up to speed, so I spent an hour yesterday afternoon practicing feather, reverse, three step, natural by myself, trying to get the naturals to feel as good as my reverse turns. By the end I was starting to get it.

Also managed to go to a dance in the evening with the kids asleep, and wow were Elizabeth's heel turns precise!

Of course, that also means I'll know it's my fault whenever the heel turns are sloppy from now on.

latingal likes this.