How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Need to do some woodshedding on ECS. Went to a workshop last weekend with Christopher Wayne and he helped me a lot. Now I need to get it ingrained. ECS and I haven't been on speaking terms for a while, so now I need to do something about that.
    chomsky likes this.
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practice today was good. More repetitions for upgrades in foot and leg action. Work on maintain clean and active lines in samba. And worked on maintaining a good vertical in jive.
  3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Still trying to make friends with Foxtrot... sigh. At least sometimes we get along now, as opposed to the open hatred of a few weeks ago.
    chomsky, latingal and Mr 4 styles like this.
  4. latingal

Practice for the last week has been going pretty well. Worked today on foot speed and action in samba and worked twisting and keeping a stable vertical axis in jive. Was pleased with some of the things showing up in the mirror. Now if I could just get it consistent and learn to dance relaxed consistently....
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Had some really great solo practices lately, and I think they will pay off once things settle down at my partner's job (relatively speaking)
    latingal likes this.
  6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Tried applying some of what I was doing in the foxtrot natural turns to waltz natural turns, and that definitely helped the following figures in waltz.

Also still working on this in foxtrot to try to make it a habit. A side effect is that my three steps are getting better, or at least more consistent, presumably as a result of doing them more often than once every few months.
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Natural turns in Foxtrot have always been much more....awkward for me than reverse turns. I find it easier to complete a natural heel turn if I just relax into it. (I tend to tense up.) They are still inconsistent, but getting better.
  8. latingal

Spent an hour and a half working on foot speed, timing of the passing leg, and height in the hip in rumba walks. By the time I was done with that I was ready to strangle somebody.....anybody...innocent passerby, fellow dancers, random person off the street - all were in mortal danger.

After getting back to being only half insane, finished up with samba and jive.

I'm taking today off..... :confused:
    chomsky, dncergrl and stash like this.
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I have had a lot of strangling people thoughts lately, but not from dancing itself thank goodness. Hope Rumba starts feeling better soon.

I see a lot of more practice time in the gym as I won't have this pesky thing called work to go to for the imediate future....
    latingal likes this.
  10. latingal

Good practice today. Walks are feeling more "natural" and well timed; foot speed and precision continues to get worked on; and was enjoying doing some styling work at the end.
    dncergrl and Warren J. Dew like this.
  11. latingal

Some of the corrections seem to be coming together nicely....others, not so much. LOL!
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

practiced slow waltz movement over 6 counts focusing on balance and control
    latingal likes this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

more of the same today...but I realize that I am in a bad place about dance right now...I can't separate the parts I love from everything else about it which is currently not encouraging...it feels like ages since I had passion and energy for it and I am really bummed...it is a good thing that I am going away for a few weeks... but I don't know what I'll do if I can't find some joy for it again...I took a three week break after my last comp and that usually does it...shrug...oh well
    chomsky and latingal like this.
  14. latingal

Love being able to take my time in practice with no comps looming over my head. Worked some basics, then decided to do some work on mechanical technique issues. Will have to get to work on the performance issues and solutions worked in the latest set of coachings....
    chomsky likes this.
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

it'll be fun when you least expect it, I'm telling ya!
  16. latingal

Realizing that all those things pro has been saying about the body being able to adjust the technique without thought for specific situations is starting to happen. A third of me is saying "Yay!", another third is saying "Why the heck did it take so long?", and the last third is saying "No! Don't trust that it's happening!". *sigh*, need to have my head examined again.
    chomsky and Sania like this.
  17. Sania

Sania Active Member

and don't forget "If I'm not thinking about it I must be doing it wrong" :)
    latingal likes this.
  18. latingal

Good work today in basics....not quite as thorough as I would have liked to be on the other subjects. Will try again tomorrow.
  19. latingal

Good practices the last couple of days. Repetitions for body memory for foot/leg action and staying lower in the hip. Still need to do more basic work staying on the back leg longer, still coming off too fast, and switching oppositions quicker.

Having fun with looking at different lines commonly used in latin, pinpointing weaknesses and correcting them. Trying to wring every beautiful moment out of the dancing!!
    Sania and stash like this.
  20. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

my words e x a c t l y! are you in my head or something?
    latingal likes this.