How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

no practice today, yikes...hopefuly tomorow?

latingal likes this.
  2. LT

LT Member

I thought practice today was really quite good... :) foxtrot is coming along. However, according to DP we are on the verge in that "we are almost on time, with almost good posture, while staying almost together..." :beye:

latingal and chomsky like this.
  3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Good practice last night. First one back post-comp (after a whopping 2 whole days off), to start the building process to the next comp in 4 months.

Worked on posture. Over and over, until I couldn't squeeze my back muscles any more. Realistically, this meant about an hour worth of work, making last night my shortest practice in a while... really need to get stronger there!

Mostly, I'm excited. I had a lightbulb moment the night before the competition, where pro's partner made some off the cuff comment that made things make sense... as in, complete "OMG, that's so simple. Why did I not know that?" reaction. Looking forward to fixing this issue! A little bit bummed that it took so long for it to click, but at least it finally has... now it's just to execute the fix consistently, which, let's face it, is sooo much easier when you know what to do!

latingal likes this.
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practice yesterday was good, seems I need to do more work on timing of the passing leg and staying on the standing leg a bit longer in cha-cha. It's looking and feeling better, but it's far from being in body memory correctly. Back to repetitions....

5. latingal

Woohoo....rumba walks were good today! Corrections for those at least are getting in. Worked on intent and better body coordination. Also did some mechanical corrections on my own. Mostly rumba and cha-cha today....was a good practice!

Sania likes this.
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Managed to get in one really good practice this week and one decent one last night. I have realized that I don't know all of my silver routines well enough yet, but each practice solidifies the steps more and more. There are only a few areas now where the timing is fuzzy versus pretty much the whole of the routines before my practice sessions. At least I know where to have my instructor focus our efforts now.

latingal likes this.
  7. latingal

Practice yesterday, lol - as expected great previous practice in rumba did not translate to this next practice...have come to expect that. But cha-cha and samba were good. Sometimes I wish there was a fast forward button through some of these repetitions though.

While working to resolve a bad habit of turning the hip out too quickly in back rocks, I had some fun working on isolating the different parts of the torso more distinctly to create better body action. That was awesome!

Have started trying a new strategy I read about from a music article about learning more effectively. I am now doing two types of repetitions (rather then just the one of large blocks of repetitions). I have added cycling through different corrections in smaller time periods. The theory being to reinforce going to the new pathway of the movement multiple times, rather then just once with multiple repetitions.

chomsky and Wannabee like this.
  8. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Interesting concept latingal. I'll be curious to learn how it is working for you.

9. latingal

I'll let you know if I notice a difference in a couple of weeks! :)

10. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Had a fantastic practice yesterday, which is great timing because we have our first competition in a while this weekend. Ran through a smooth round (and survived), and my partner just felt really "on." Productive yet fun times :)

chomsky, latingal and cornutt like this.
  11. chomsky

it reminds me about an article I read too...can't find it right now because as I am typing this my small bayby of 80years old is interrupting me trying to take me away from the screen!!!

12. chomsky

I am so so proud of myself! 4 days in a raw of 1hour practice daily!!!!!!!!!wow, can't remember the last time I did that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and really good practice indeed!

stash, latingal and cornutt like this.
  13. chomsky

14. latingal

chomsky likes this.
  15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Tried practicing but apparently after 2 hours of teaching, my knee started to hurt more than when I squatted to get something. So doing anything was just really painful. I have no idea what I did to it, but it now is a dull ache even when I walk. Icing it as I type.

chomsky likes this.
  16. chomsky

icing will do it good!it's the best cure, always!

17. latingal

Practice yesterday, not bad. Still have a couple weeks to go of repetitions for the last subjects of work.

18. LT

LT Member

Really good practice today... after our first wall+ of foxtrot, we stopped and I looked at DP and exclaimed that that may have been the best we've ever danced it... and whatdoya think... she agreed! :D Watching video after confirmed... ;)

latingal likes this.
  19. latingal

Practice yesterday....gads, thank goodness tomorrow is another day. LOL!

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

resolved to practice tomorrow....just controlling movement in standard/smooth

stash and latingal like this.