How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Last Wednesday, DW and I did our first practice together in a while. She's getting it back. She says her main issue right now is with balance and needing to regain strength in general, but it went pretty well.

bluslu, chomsky and fascination like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...first practice in quite some time here...worked ru and cha basics and some jive....then reviewed my open smooth just to verify that I still even remember it and then went on to the major project at hand of late which is maintaining my own balance while dancing the usual technique that goes into one measure of music in two instead

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practice today, not particularly exciting, but with each practice more and more stays in the body. The last modification of technique is getting pretty consistent in basic rumba, still iffy in cha-cha. Was having fun playing around a bit with intent during rumba walks on the fly (more hip, less hip, bigger step, small step, more body action, less body action - I'm sure it looked rather odd to anybody watching). Happy that I am maintaining a lower level in my hip.

Did some exploration of line/beauty/style of the dancing. That was fun!

ajiboyet, chomsky, cornutt and 2 others like this.
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

A bit lazy yesterday. Was working on some technique corrections and getting them into muscle memory... then ran my brand new waltz choreo a few times trying to get it into my brain.

Yesterday was the first time in memory that I've taken myself up on my "I know you're not feeling it, but you have to go practice. If after an hour, you're still not into it, then you can leave" offer. I'm a bit irritated, as I had the whole floor - actually the whole studio - completely to myself... but I was tired and sore and just not into it. I guess a lot of people were feeling the same way, as I was the only one there... so, yay me for at least showing up?

ajiboyet, SwayWithMe, Sania and 2 others like this.
  5. LT

LT Member

Had a breakthrough in tango yesterday... it's funny how many times we do the same thing over and over in practice thinking we'll get a different and better result... :confused: (Yes I know what that means... ;)) Any way, we finally decided to stop treating a short group like it is its own beast, and broke it down into three defined patterns each of which we are comfortable with... then we linked them together but very deliberately doing each pattern until we could smoth it out and make it look like one continuous one. Much relief! :joyful:

ajiboyet, chomsky, cornutt and 2 others like this.
  6. latingal

Good practice yesterday. Worked on findings from lessons, was very happy with the visible improvements and increase in stability!

chomsky and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  7. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

okay no practice for a few days hubby being sick and all. but, I did practice yesterday and today hubby having recuperated! hooray on both counts! and I just loooooooooooooooove my practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and on top of it, a straght hour! wow! I'm amazed :rofl::rofl::rofl:at myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terpsichorean Clod and latingal like this.
  8. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

Ugh. In total, 5 hours of practice today. 2 hours with bronze partner, hammering out all the things we can do in smooth for next weekend and cha/rumba for Ohio, then 2 hours off, then 3 hours of practice with my silver partner, figuring out our routine for all 9 dances. Didn't even think about Latin. We'll wing it like we normally do. Feels like I rubbed the callouses off my feet. This is what I get for having a week off. Blergh.

chomsky likes this.
  9. cornutt

How is your shoulder?

10. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

Sore. Got adjusted on Thursday and it made things a little better then. Last night did a social dance and didn't notice much (but I also tend to relax more so it ends up being easier on the shoulder) but today I only had to think about relaxing my shoulder once during the tango. Which is pretty good. No pain yet! And the hip is holding up. Fingers crossed it stays nice and relaxed until at least next Saturday ;) I'll see the chiro again Thursday so hopefully that will help keep things moving smoothly.

chomsky, ajiboyet and cornutt like this.
  11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Practice today was good! Some new technique is starting to be more consistent, feeling stronger. :)

12. latingal

Practices for the last three days, ups and downs in getting the technique improvements to stick. This is the tedious part....over and over and over again.

13. cornutt

Breaking down old muscle memory when you have to learn a technique improvement is one of the hardest things for me. I'm going through that with mambo right now.

chomsky, SwayWithMe and latingal like this.
  14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I'm going through it too... sucks, but will be worth it!!! I'm trying to keep the technique repetition sessions to 45 mins or less... of the same 3-4 figure sequence over and over and over. Any longer than that, and I lose focus or become supremely frustrated.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

decent practice today working control in standard and smooth while trying not to panick about everything else I may have lost during what has been a neccessary break...and yet also still struggling to stay motivated ....felt good to move...just not sure what a next goal would be...and that is a problem

16. chomsky

nice way of putting it, same here, I guess same for everyone too! but that's the nicest thing. Breaking off habits and changing...!

17. chomsky

10 min practice yesterday! not enough by far!!!!!I'm determined to put in an hour today, we'll see how it goes!!!!!

latingal likes this.
  18. OreganO

OreganO Member

We had a great private Sunday and tweaked our developé to a "more advanced" shaping, which feels SO much more natural. (Apparently the original shaping was our coach's way of keeping balance, which was never an issue for me but we dance with partners)
    A private from last week has my partner moving much bigger on a long-term injured knee too instead of inching along in smooth.
    More importantly, everything has translated to practice!

latingal likes this.
  19. latingal

Practice yesterday was uneventful. Feels like the repetitions are starting to take hold in rumba; cha-cha is coming along. Samba and jive were "meh", with samba being slightly less "meh" then jive. So glad something worked yesterday though.... ;)

chomsky likes this.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Practice today was reviewing tango basics

chomsky and latingal like this.